Do barrel cooling fans work (chamber chiller)?

I use an old 12v air mattress pump that came with a cheap tire inflator. One of the adaptors fits into the receiver and a short length of copper pipe "touches" the chamber. It works fairly well and cheap, lot's of air volume but screams.

When it us REALLY hot, I run the tygon tubing in a spiral into a very large whacky spiral straw cup you can buy in most 7-11 type stores. I add crushed ice and water which then adds further cooling of the air so when it comes out I run into the throat of the rifle. This does lower air temp quite a bit. CHEAP.

I don't let barrels get super hot (3 shots) so I just rub ice on the outside of the barrel for a minute or so and then let it stabilize for 5-10 minutes while shooting other rifles.

Seems like the battery powered vacuum cleaner mentioned way back would be the ticket, no fiddling with the bolt, getting something to fit in the chamber and the best of all, like mentioned, it will fit over a suppressor, any size barrel, and a little electrical tape to protect the finish on the barrel, I have seen ones the act as a vacuum and a pump and they definitely pull a lot of air.

Set it in the rack and slip the modified hose over the barrel and punch holes with a different rifle for a bit.

Might get some strange looks from the geezer on the other end of the line with your new fangled gadget

When I am working up a load or shooting one of my hunting rifles and want to simulate hunting conditions. I only shoot two shots then cool the barrel back to ambient. I hate waiting for the barrel to cool which can take a long time here in S. Az.

Around 20 years ago I went to the local welding supply store and bought a regulator and two CO2 tanks. Several guys liked it and made theirs, including now retired gunsmith Dave Miller. I can get the barrel back to ambient in 15 seconds. No condensation, no residue and no harm is done to barrel.

This is a somewhat older thread but I am going to post here anyway instead of starting a new thread. I've recently joined a shooting club close to my house and go there and shoot a couple times a week. Today it was in the nineties and I had 4 rifles to rotate through but the barrels were still getting hotter than I liked. Has anything "new and improved" arrived on the scene or are the chamber chiller, air mattress inflator or water down the bore still the preferred methods of cooling during hot times or extended shooting periods?

I've often thought of using a paper towel and pouring isopropyl alcohol on it....I think with the evaporation properties it would really cool the barrel...I currently use the small air pump system and it works, but the towel method would be quieter....rsbhunter

I've often thought of using a paper towel and pouring isopropyl alcohol on it....I think with the evaporation properties it would really cool the barrel...I currently use the small air pump system and it works, but the towel method would be quieter....rsbhunter
I'm thinking next time I go I will take some towels and a cooler with water and a small amount of ice in it and lay a towel on each barrel after I finish shooting two or three rounds and by the time I get back to the first one it should be cool.

I'm trying to cool the barrel in a match setting, after each relay, we have to clear the station for the next shooter, and rifles have to be in vertical racks for safety....hence the paper towel wrapped around the barrel with isopropyl alcohol.... If I could lay the rifle horizontal, I would use the ice water...wouldn't have to worry about water entering into action and trigger....rsbhunter