Proof Carbon Barrel Cooling

Orange Dust

I'm still trying to sort out this new barrel. I tried something this weekend that seems to work really well, but just wondering if my good idea might not be. Asking to see if anyone knows. It is a 28 Nosler. 3 shots and it is really hot inside and seems not to cool at all in a reasonably amount of time. I went to Academy Sports and bought a high volume fan meant to blow up air mattresses and such. It uses 6 "C" cell batteries. Added a couple of feet of clear vinyl tubing that fits tight in the chamber. It really blows hard and will cool the barrel from the inside in about 2 minutes. Seems to work really well and using ambient air temperature to cool. Question is, is there any danger to the barrel cooling it this quickly? One thing is for sure, it is cheap and seems to work really well.

Orange Dust

Thanks, wouldn't have asked if it was a solid barrel. I thought it was a good idea. Seems to work really well.

JCow14

I'm still trying to sort out this new barrel. I tried something this weekend that seems to work really well, but just wondering if my good idea might not be. Asking to see if anyone knows. It is a 28 Nosler. 3 shots and it is really hot inside and seems not to cool at all in a reasonably amount of time. I went to Academy Sports and bought a high volume fan meant to blow up air mattresses and such. It uses 6 "C" cell batteries. Added a couple of feet of clear vinyl tubing that fits tight in the chamber. It really blows hard and will cool the barrel from the inside in about 2 minutes. Seems to work really well and using ambient air temperature to cool. Question is, is there any danger to the barrel cooling it this quickly? One thing is for sure, it is cheap and seems to work really well.

That's a dang good idea, my 28 heats up just like yours. There was a guy that shoots at the range that had one just like what you were describing with the clear tubing, i think it as for an AR platform but he modified it for his 6.5 prc.

https://www.impactguns.com/caldwell-accumax-barrel-cooler-rechargeable/

Orange Dust

Check out "Intex battery operated air pump at Academy. $10. They have a rechargeable for about $40. The $10 works great.

cjl2010

I'm not a metallurgist and don't play one on TV, but that doesn't sound like a good idea. Maybe someone who is could chime in?
Seems to work for him. I’ve taken a wet towel and laid it on the barrel to cool it off.

I’m sure you will get a bunch of different answers from all the “engineers” on here. Wouldn’t be any difference than running your fan on a cold winter day?

Orange Dust

Seems to work for him. I’ve taken a wet towel and laid it on the barrel to cool it off.

I’m sure you will get a bunch of different answers from all the “engineers” on here. Wouldn’t be any difference than running your fan on a cold winter day?
Don't know. Moisture content in air is much higher in summer. Condensate? We are talking about a carbon barrel. Expansion rate? Steel barrel I've even stuck a ss cleaning rod in it for a short time to help transfer heat. Cold rags do work on a steel barrel. Trying to learn about carbon. They are different for sure. Not better or worse, just different IMO.

Asco6

Sweet . That magnetospeed is the ticket.

As to the above post re: condensation, I can’t see water condensing out of the air on a HOT surface, no matter what the ambient humidity is.

ntsqd

I can see where differential cooling might be a problem, but I don't know that it would be a problem.

Is the carbon tube on those bonded to the barrel? If so and if you could manage to cool the barrel too fast you could break that bond. Things to be aware of, but I'm doubting they're an issue.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce