Proof Carbon Barrel Cooling

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Orange Dust, Aug 12, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to sort out this new barrel. I tried something this weekend that seems to work really well, but just wondering if my good idea might not be. Asking to see if anyone knows. It is a 28 Nosler. 3 shots and it is really hot inside and seems not to cool at all in a reasonably amount of time. I went to Academy Sports and bought a high volume fan meant to blow up air mattresses and such. It uses 6 "C" cell batteries. Added a couple of feet of clear vinyl tubing that fits tight in the chamber. It really blows hard and will cool the barrel from the inside in about 2 minutes. Seems to work really well and using ambient air temperature to cool. Question is, is there any danger to the barrel cooling it this quickly? One thing is for sure, it is cheap and seems to work really well.

2. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

That ambient air being pushed through your barrel will hurt nothing, I use the a setup like yours during hot summer months.

Jeffrey Van Zandt likes this.
  3. Orange Dust

Thanks, wouldn't have asked if it was a solid barrel. I thought it was a good idea. Seems to work really well.

4. JCow14

JCow14 Active Member

That's a dang good idea, my 28 heats up just like yours. There was a guy that shoots at the range that had one just like what you were describing with the clear tubing, i think it as for an AR platform but he modified it for his 6.5 prc.

https://www.impactguns.com/caldwell-accumax-barrel-cooler-rechargeable/

5. Orange Dust

Check out "Intex battery operated air pump at Academy. $10. They have a rechargeable for about $40. The $10 works great.

Bravo 4 likes this.
  6. hwy1strat

hwy1strat Well-Known Member

7. Clifflopez

Clifflopez Well-Known Member

There is a guy at my range that puts the blower in an ice chest and blows cold air.

Sanford338 likes this.
  8. Orange Dust

I'm not a metallurgist and don't play one on TV, but that doesn't sound like a good idea. Maybe someone who is could chime in?

Sanford338 likes this.
  9. Clifflopez

Clifflopez Well-Known Member

Seems to work for him. I’ve taken a wet towel and laid it on the barrel to cool it off.

I’m sure you will get a bunch of different answers from all the “engineers” on here. Wouldn’t be any difference than running your fan on a cold winter day?

Sanford338 likes this.
  10. Orange Dust

Don't know. Moisture content in air is much higher in summer. Condensate? We are talking about a carbon barrel. Expansion rate? Steel barrel I've even stuck a ss cleaning rod in it for a short time to help transfer heat. Cold rags do work on a steel barrel. Trying to learn about carbon. They are different for sure. Not better or worse, just different IMO.

Clifflopez likes this.
  11. spinal tap

spinal tap Member

12. Asco6

Asco6 Member

Sweet . That magnetospeed is the ticket.

As to the above post re: condensation, I can’t see water condensing out of the air on a HOT surface, no matter what the ambient humidity is.

13. ntsqd

ntsqd Well-Known Member

I can see where differential cooling might be a problem, but I don't know that it would be a problem.

Is the carbon tube on those bonded to the barrel? If so and if you could manage to cool the barrel too fast you could break that bond. Things to be aware of, but I'm doubting they're an issue.

14. cmarchand

cmarchand Member

barrelcool.com $36.99 - ‎In stock
    I've used one of these for 2-3 yrs

corsair4360 and bigbulls like this.