Barrel cooling methods? Chamber Chiller Pro vs The Original Barrel Cooler

I foundbthat an Air pump with tube is fine if ambient temperature is below 80, otherwise Ziplock bags of icecubes run up and down the barrel a few times after 2 shots and wait a minute for barrel temp to even out. When shooting in the direct sun, a pump is a loosing proposition. I don't really bother very much with the air pump anymore because the ice works much faster.

I've thought about the funnel and hose with a 5 gal bucket of ice water like they use in arizona, but may try that ziplock icecube idea. Seems like it wouldn't cool as evenly as cold water down the barrel tho ?

When I'm at home I just use air compressor with an adjustable nozzle which fits in snug to my bore guide that fits snug into the chamber. Considering one of these portables tho.

I've thought about the funnel and hose with a 5 gal bucket of ice water like they use in arizona, but may try that ziplock icecube idea. Seems like it wouldn't cool as evenly as cold water down the barrel tho ?
You guys pouring water down a hot barrel. It sends a chill up my spine. Thinking of thermal stresses being induced into the bore.

That maybe a problem with any of them. The only way water on my barrel if it's raining and I am out hunting. Interesting thinking on thermal stresses. In thinking about I would think that the hotter the barrel is, it might cause a problem. I don't know, and maybe somebody can enlighten us.

Last edited:
Why not one of the little float pumps from Amazon? Cheap with a ton of air flow and rechargeable to boot.

Home made base to keep it stable on top of the rifle rack.

C17099AD-CB2E-4B8D-87CC-A72168302BB0.jpeg

I shoot under an umbrella and or gazebo and leave the bolt open and run a 14" fan at a about a 45-degree angle pushing air thru the open bolt and across the barrel. 338 Lapua takes only about 3 min to cool off in 80 degree weather.