Proof Carbon Barrel Cooling

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Orange Dust, Aug 12, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Wedgy

Wedgy Well-Known Member

If you cool the outside of the barrel by liquid(conduction) the differential will be minimal by the time two temps meet and if you're cooling the barrel interior with air(convection) it doesn't have enough specific heat capacity to change the temp of the barrel. Basically all you're doing is drawing the heat away like a liquid cooled engine circulating water thru an engine block.

2. ntsqd

ntsqd Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about forced air/gas cooling of the bore. That is where the greatest temperature differential will be.

3. Wedgy

Wedgy Well-Known Member

Yes I could see blasting a cold, compressed gas down a red hot bore creating some surface damage but if it works for them, well then it works for their needs. It won't damage the structural integrity to cause a failure but could degrade accuracy.

4. dennisinaz

dennisinaz Well-Known Member

I have a background in metallurgy- you are not hurting a think with this method. Period.

5. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Didn’t see a post with these results, may have skimmed over it with all the metal talk.:D

6. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

My bad. Got the thing out and had left batteries in it and they corroded. Going to Harbor Ft and get a new one. I really want to know. Will post when I get it done.

Bravo 4 likes this.