Proof Carbon Barrel Cooling

If you cool the outside of the barrel by liquid(conduction) the differential will be minimal by the time two temps meet and if you're cooling the barrel interior with air(convection) it doesn't have enough specific heat capacity to change the temp of the barrel. Basically all you're doing is drawing the heat away like a liquid cooled engine circulating water thru an engine block.

I'm more concerned about forced air/gas cooling of the bore. That is where the greatest temperature differential will be.

Yes I could see blasting a cold, compressed gas down a red hot bore creating some surface damage but if it works for them, well then it works for their needs. It won't damage the structural integrity to cause a failure but could degrade accuracy.

All I know is you can shoot this thing (proof barreled 28 Nosler) three times, plug the gizmo I built in the chamber and the thing blows air out the muzzle hot enough to burn your hand. Wait a minute or two and the air feels cool. Somewhere I have a Infrared thermometer. I'm going to dig it out and see what the temp of the air is when I hook it up after three shots, and see how long it takes for the air to reach ambient temperature. Should be an interesting experiment. I will get back with you all after I shoot it again this weekend.
Didn't see a post with these results, may have skimmed over it with all the metal talk.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts