DIY Carbon fiber barrel?

The process is much like braiding hair around a tube. I would guess the equipment involved is not cheap.
Some equipment is definitely out of our price range, but I have a lathe with autofeed that can be adapted. The wrapping isn't too hard. Researched and have some guys with much more knowledge than I do to lean on. The hard part was deciding on the type of raw CF and type of epoxy. Who knows if it will work, but I would love for you to take them out for the first shots [while I shield myself behind 1" plexiglass] :)

Some equipment is definitely out of our price range, but I have a lathe with autofeed that can be adapted. The wrapping isn't too hard. Researched and have some guys with much more knowledge than I do to lean on. The hard part was deciding on the type of raw CF and type of epoxy. Who knows if it will work, but I would love for you to take them out for the first shots [while I shield myself behind 1" plexiglass] :)

I can't find the video I have seen of the process and I am guessing not all carbon barrels are wrapped with the same process. Honestly I am pretty intrigued by what you figure out.

You can probably just feed and wrap one "strand" at a time then turn it to the dimensions you desire when complete.
I pray it doesn't have to be one strand at a time :) I am trying some different methods including already made tubes on one, then building up with wrap(7mag). The 28nosler will be wrapped from start to finish. Found a couple great high temp epoxies to try. Also, the CF has a million types to try with tapes, yarn, sleeves, etc. I'm excited to see the results. Can't be that hard. Just need some time (which I have) and knowledge, which I'm slowly gaining. Considered an outer layer of Kevlar for a shield in case one of these fails .... scary

have you looked into CF sheets that are already woven like they use on automotive parts? they layer in a mold and use a vacuum bag to compress the layers and evenly distribute the epoxy then heat to cure. might be an easier way than weaving yourself

have you looked into CF sheets that are already woven like they use on automotive parts? they layer in a mold and use a vacuum bag to compress the layers and evenly distribute the epoxy then heat to cure. might be an easier way than weaving yourself
I did sir. Ordered a bunch of cf materials to test, but still mostly ignorant to it all

BSF and OMR both use tubes and are not epoxied to the barrel. They have nuts to keep the tubes in place. Interested to see what you come up with Mike!
Great info. I expected cf to be epoxied on like PR does. I considered some voids between the barrel and cf, but more interested in the stiffness than the heat since it is a hunting rifle

You might get some tips by exploring how the high pressure tank mfgrs wrap their tanks. Essentially both barrels and tanks are high pressure cylinders.

This is a cool project @Mram10us. I have a fair bit ef experience/know knowledge with this stuff but by no means an "expert".

I use this MAS epoxy on most of my projects. System 3 is good too. I have a fair bit of MAS low viscosity and slow here. How much do you need?

Great info. I expected cf to be epoxied on like PR does. I considered some voids between the barrel and cf, but more interested in the stiffness than the heat since it is a hunting rifle
I believe my hells canyon and the benchmark carbons are sleeved with a tensioning shoulder nut at the muzzle. From my observations I can tell the muzzle is two piece. Both of my hells canyon barrels shoot great, and I believe this will be a much faster process, but more costly. Buying pre made cf tubes, vs cf strand/resin and your own labor, but time IS money.

Why the Kevlar? Each of these materials has good and bad properties - often to an extreme. Kevlar is tough and durable but not anywhere near as rigid as carbon. I can't see any advantages to it in a barrel but could certainly be missing something.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts