DIY Carbon fiber barrel?

Mram10us

Has anyone seen how guys do this? Considered turning down a barrel to 9/16" from 4" from tenon to the muzzle then epoxying a 9/16" carbon fiber tube on and adding an end cap on the muzzle. Advice wanted. Thanks guys

Well I am pretty sure they are not a tube epoxied on, but carbon wrapped in many layers directly onto the barrel
Have you seen the process? What details can you give me? I'm looking at high modulus kevlar carbon fiber weave

I looked into this a while ago and decided against it. However I did find that 3M i think it was had a cool epoxy calculator for lack of a better term. Put in the materials you want to bond and any other necessary requirements like resistance to heat or acids or.... and it would provide the name of their appropriate or best fit adhesive. Good luck

Oh and carbon fiber floss could be purchased on Amazon easily enough.

I've thought of doing something similar but instead of gluing the tube to the barrel I planned to leave an air space and use the carbon fiber tube to pull tension on the barrel. Seems easy enough to thread the muzzle and make a cap that would use a spanner wrench to torque the tube down onto the steel liner and pull some tension on the barrel with no glue necessary. Something Similar to what these guys are doing. https://www.bsfbarrels.com/

I ended up buying a premade tube (16mm id x 20mm od)for one experiment and then some carbon fiber yarn with epoxy to try another way. What epoxy would you guys suggest? Preferably nothing that cost more than a proof barrel :)

I took a 7 mag takeoff barrel and machined steps on it. From the muzzle back about 8", I turned it down to 16 mm. The next 11" to about 18mm and a 1.5"section to 20mm. That left about 3.5" on the chamber end. Going to overlap some carbon tube in 3 stages. Barrel now weighs 2lb 7oz

I turned down another barrel today from a #5 brux (28nosler) to try another CF technique on. It started life at 79.9oz with barrel, lug and receiver (no bolt or trigger). After turning down, it weighs 70.6oz. 9.3oz isn't bad considering I could have turned it further but want to be on the safe side for these tests.
Parts get here in the next couple weeks, so I will post more results with a target then.

Has anyone seen how guys do this? Considered turning down a barrel to 9/16" from 4" from tenon to the muzzle then epoxying a 9/16" carbon fiber tube on and adding an end cap on the muzzle. Advice wanted. Thanks guys

The process is much like braiding hair around a tube. I would guess the equipment involved is not cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.