Shorten carbon fiber barrel

We tested failure in barrels. Specifically PROOF. The liner is so thin that trying to cut the muzzle was detrimental to the integrity of the muzzle, the carbon, and in some cases caused issues with the carbon due to heat, it also changed harmonics.

The pressure testing at the breech and in the shank was the area we were most concerned with based on the thickness of the liner in the first 6 inches. If someone was going to shorten it, then the liner would also begin to get thinner quickly and with many magnum calibers, failure in the chamber area caused to the steel liner due to pressure was apparent. We even tested lodged bullets in the barrel and shot another bullet down after it. Failure and the carbon shot out everywhere like missiles, sticking in the wall and if it weren't for remote control shooting, probably sticking in the shooters face. Huge safety issues messing with the integrity of the barrel. If you are a gunsmith doing this, I am not sure what the liability risk would be but there has to be some. Might want to get a waiver signed if you do it for a customer so at least you are protected.
I own many CF barrels and would never shorten one - my life is worth more than 600 bucks to replace it with the length I want

We tested failure in barrels. Specifically PROOF. The liner is so thin that trying to cut the muzzle was detrimental to the integrity of the muzzle, the carbon, and in some cases caused issues with the carbon due to heat, it also changed harmonics.

The pressure testing at the breech and in the shank was the area we were most concerned with based on the thickness of the liner in the first 6 inches. If someone was going to shorten it, then the liner would also begin to get thinner quickly and with many magnum calibers, failure in the chamber area caused to the steel liner due to pressure was apparent. We even tested lodged bullets in the barrel and shot another bullet down after it. Failure and the carbon shot out everywhere like missiles, sticking in the wall and if it weren't for remote control shooting, probably sticking in the shooters face. Huge safety issues messing with the integrity of the barrel. If you are a gunsmith doing this, I am not sure what the liability risk would be but there has to be some. Might want to get a waiver signed if you do it for a customer so at least you are protected.
I own many CF barrels and would never shorten one - my life is worth more than 600 bucks to replace it with the length I want
This must be a proof barrel specific issue. Several barrel makers such as benchmark, pederson, hells canyon and others are fine with a carbon shoulder.

Well, I recently spoke to Mike @ HCA about cutting one of his 26" barrels down to 20".
He promptly and confidently replied, "sure we can" and sent me an invoice with total turnaround cost to mail it in!
He didn't seem concerned about the matter. Apparently he's done it before without issue.
🤞

I cringed at the idea of cutting down a carbon fiber barrel for multiple reasons.... can you do it? Yes. Should you do it? 😬

My guess is for what a good gunsmith will charge you're better off removing the barrel, selling it, and buying a carbon wrapped barrel from Ragged Hole, Proof, or literally anywhere else.

Wow...I guess I better do some cutting wheel test on my proof cf...just to see what everybody is to worried about......
Notches for all my deer and elk......
😆

I cut down a Christensen .308 from 22-20''
Re-squared the barrel and redid the crown using tools from Brownell's

It was a little harder to cut square with the hacksaw and a little unnerving but what the heck I really had a balance and handling agenda. This is a short range woods rifle that sat because I hated the way it handled.

I shot it 6 or 8 times to zero it back in and killed a nice little buck offhand at 80 yards. This isn't going to be a high rate of fire gun but I can't see any negative issues yet.

There are a number of brave souls here. I had a conversation with my GS about shortening a proof 24" CF, and he thought I was nuts. I'm sure it can be done, but the real question is should it be done? They sell shorter CF barrels. Interesting thread though.

I hear you. I'm literally out nothing if it goes south. A rebarrel job just replaces the old one with the preferred choice and maybe the smith has some use for it but if you call it $100 that would be a lot. Now I feel like I haven't had to pay a smith and buy a barrel so +/-$800 maybe?? On a $100 dollar gamble I saved $800 or better because it seems ok for now...!

get a chance to do this yet?
Hey Grouse...I haven't yet...my new build is at the gs now...
I do hate the overbalance of the 26"...I do need to take that rifle up there for some work....so I may talk to him about it then...remind me towards the end of the month.....I'm sure It will either be or it won't be.....

Recent Posts