Deer weight?

Rich Coyle

Any guesses on the live weight of a buck with no guts, skin, head and lower legs cut off at 68 pounds hanging in the processor? It is an Oregon I5 corridor blacktail buck.

We've all heard distant rifle shots on opening day. Yesterday I got one. This buck made its last mistake at 8:30AM on opening day. Another Hammer success.

Congratulations!

I'm thinking a carcass weight of 60%-70% of the live weight, but you're talking about a carcass missing the two hind quarters (if I understand you right), which are the meatiest portions. If you assume each of those hindquarters weighed 20 lbs, that puts your carcass weight at 108. That puts your live weight at 155-180 lbs.

Way to go. 130ish sounds about right.

Coworker was getting snowed on up Evan's Creek (3000') yesterday. Pretty good weather for the rifle opener.

I got spoiled deer hunting up north where a big buck approached linebacker liveweight. I shot a mature 10 pointer a few years back in GA. I grabbed the front hooves in my left hand and the back hooves in my right hand and threw him up into the bed of my truck...over the tail gate...didn't even drop it LOL.

Looks like I was lucky. It was almost two hours from the road when I shot it. The morning sky started clear but sprinkles started about ten minutes before I got to the pickup. I was hunting at about 1,000 feet elevation.

You must be like one of those linebackers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.