Deer mineral

As mentioned above, 1 part dicalcium phosphate, 2 parts loose red trace mineral, and 1 part loose stock salt. I'm in NE OK and didn't have any activity until I went to 2 parts loose stock salt instead of 1. YMMV

I've used the Trophy Rock 465 for the last couple years. It seems to work well. I usually pour it over an old stump at my sites. At this point the deer have a couple foot hole at each site

Hesse, for whatever my two cents is worth. Salt and mineral is the same no matter no matter what animal is eating it, and every animal does. If you find a local feed store in your area they probably mix a mineral that is for your area. I am a Cattle rancher in east central Kansas and feed lots of it, and watch the deer eat a lot of it. Check the bag tag on it. It will tell you what is in it. Hi phosphorus will run about 10-12%. Calcium is used as a limiter so cattle don't eat more than they should. It will run from 12-20%. The salt in it is your attractant. If you add something to it to make them eat it. They will eat more than they need. ( it's a vitamin not candy) the ingredient tag will be sown on the bottom of the bag. I am attaching a picture.
image.jpg

Where I hunt we found out that we are very low in phosphorus and calcium. Which is what most of the horns are mad of so I need some mineral that is high in those or if I am going to have to make my own
Trophy Rock. It contains Ca and P, plus numerous other trace minerals. Each block lasts a long time in the rain, and what dissolves, they lick out of the soil. The does and bucks line up for it in front of my cameras.

So here's what I come up with 50 lb bag of di calcium phosphate a 50 lb bag of dried molasses 25 lb of calcium carbonate and a bag of trace minerals with 4% phosphorus in it
We always mixed a 50lb bag of di-calcium phosphate mixed with 50lb bag of trace mineral salt. Poured it on a stump or fallen log; refreshed it in the spring and fall. Eventually you only had was a hole in the ground to pour it in. It Deer tore it up.

I use "red mineral lick" made by Grandpas Special Mix. You a look them up online. He has spent decades perfecting his minerals and feed and I can honestly say it's the best I've ever used FOR THE WILDLIFE. It's not salt. It's actually minerals. And the deer kill it. Here's the best pic I can get right now. I'll try to find a better one.
9EE7465F-662A-4618-9E34-6EA31D393441.jpeg

Take a good sized saw log, say 18" to 24" inch in diameter, cut- off several 2"-3" thick rounds from the log end. Try to find places in the woods where two deer/ wildlife trails cross. Place those 2" thick log slices down, put the 30-50 pound mineral block on top of log slice. Every 5-8 acres add another block. The blocks last months longer because they don't melt away, in the rain. Put up a cheap digital camera nearby and check the cards in a month or so.
Use different blocks around ur timber, deer, goat, sheep,wildlife blocks they all work. Don't have to spend a fortune on the blocks $7 to $15 bucks each, they last quite a while, really helps the animals in the woods and your hunting. Plant a few crab apple and apple trees in the sunny areas, for better hunting!

Check out QDMA minerals for whitetails (google it)mineral blocks are not the best way for deer to get the minerals they need. For the last 20+ years I have been using a recipe that I got from QDMA. 2, 50 pound bags of trace minerals a 50 pound bag of Dical-phosphate and a 50 pound bag of stock salt mixed.
For a couple of years I was going through 400 pounds of the mix yearly
along Minnesota's North Shore of Lake Superior.

My post from a couple years back

T.P.
Sounds similar to what we have been using here and on some of the neighboring farms. 1 x Di-Cal, 1x Trace minerals and 1 bag dried molasse…….and for good measure I occasionally throw in a bag of Deer Cocaine just to use it up since I have about 20 bags left over from about 10 years ago

Hesse, for whatever my two cents is worth. Salt and mineral is the same no matter no matter what animal is eating it, and every animal does. If you find a local feed store in your area they probably mix a mineral that is for your area. I am a Cattle rancher in east central Kansas and feed lots of it, and watch the deer eat a lot of it. Check the bag tag on it. It will tell you what is in it. Hi phosphorus will run about 10-12%. Calcium is used as a limiter so cattle don't eat more than they should. It will run from 12-20%. The salt in it is your attractant. If you add something to it to make them eat it. They will eat more than they need. ( it's a vitamin not candy) the ingredient tag will be sown on the bottom of the bag. I am attaching a picture. View attachment 464592
If that is the price for loose mineral and a recent purchase you are getting it cheap. Enjoy the prices. The feed stores have cranked up the prices for all feeds in north central Texas. I place the mineral blocks around the water locations and loose mineral for the calves in make shift troughs from split water heater tanks. I have noticed that placing loose minerals in depressions and allowing it to leach into the soil attracts the deer more readily. They literally dig it out with their hooves.

As I caution everyone here again about whats in your mineral lick, Don't get tagged for baiting deer.
Check your game laws. A couple of PA guys in this thread, so used for an example

T.P.