Daughter wants a new (smaller and lighter) rifle....

Kimber Mountain Ascent in .280 ackley. Performs close to a 7mm mag. Weighs in at just over 5lbs. Some models come with a brake.

6.5 Grendel is my suggestion. Amazing little round.

The Grendel is a neat little cartridge, but anything you can do with a Grendel you can do with a 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor. Plus you can shoot heavier rounds with more knockdown power if you so desire. Grendel was designed for an AR platform, and while you can run it in a bolt gun, the other 6.5 calibers don't have the limitations that the Grendel has. A Grendel bolt gun would be great for a starter gun for a someone younger, but I think it is a sub-optimal solution for the question posted. I have a couple of Grendel rifles and like them, but when i grab a bolt gun for hunting it's a 260 Rem.

Sounds like that 308 is set up for you ,take her shopping have her try the youth rifles,I bought a 243 in a Ruger American youth ss/snth,love it but it's 18 inch bbl ,really cuts dwn the MV ! But other then that it's very nice lite , But buy her what Fits her ,Take the time caliber is up to you Both Lol! As stated by Mud dat 6.5 Grendel just mite be it ',Remington md 7 Winchester md70 feather weight ,TC;s Compass,any lite weight 308 shootings Sierras 125 sptzers dumps any deer living , yur her reloader ;):p:eek: Batter up ,lots n lots of options ,25/06 is Sweet n hard to Beat !!! Gd luck .
I have used a 308 in different makes an models for a lot of years. The 125 in the Sierra spritzers an nosler ballistics is all I ever used. IMR 4320 compressed 48 grs.Never had a deer to get away.Never could figure why people need a heavy bullet on a whitetail. You are heads up on the 25-06

I was going to point you towards a 6.5 creedmoor until you said that most shots are under 100yds. I know this is blasphemy on the long range hunting forum, but why not get her a Winchester 94 30-30? They are light, thin and feel good in the hand. The 30-30 is a light recoiling round and for your ranges more than adequate. If you want a newer more high-tech cartridge I think a 6.5grendel would be amazing.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cz-527-american-65-grendel-bolt-action-rifle

I bought my daughter a G2 contender , then a 6mm BRM barrel. The set up is fantastic it's light and easy to use . Super accurate, shoots .5 groups with Sierra 100 gr.
She has taken numerous deer, couple hogs and a gator in Florida. I have used it to thin a couple of ground hogs here at home. The longest range I have shot it was about 240yds. Plus I bought her a 45 muzzleloader and 22 or barrels for it. Bought me a 375jdj barrel for it which also shoots great. Good luck

For whatever it's worth, I recently got my young son a Ruger Hawkeye FTW Hunter (left handed) in 6.5 Creedmoor. Adjustable LOP, laminated stock, factory brake (plus weighted and unweighted thread caps).
Not the lightest option (factory says 7.6 lbs. bare rifle - i'm not at home to weigh his scoped rifle), but it shoots well and has some features that would normally be aftermarket mods (i.e., brake and an adjustable LOP for a growing kid, or smaller shooter). good luck.

If you like the 7.62x39 level, Id go .300 BLK. That gives you a lot more factory options in the end.

I am assuming she mostly hunts white-tailed deer. One thing to ask is, does your daughter plan on hunting anything larger (elk, bear, mule deer). That way she might as well get a caliber that will cover all those as well. A 6.5 Creedmore with a factory 143-ELD-X would work perfectly for everything under 200 yards. But since you area reloader you could look for more options. I have a .264 Win Mag that I load 130 gr Barnes TSX that I would trust out to 300 for elk and mule deer. I had a client use my .270 Win with factory 130 gr Barnes TTSX shoot at a cow elk with 1 shot at 200 yards. I'd also trust this gun out to 300 yards. I've always heard 7mm-08 is a perfect round for women/kids. Good luck with your search

No offense to anyone but I personally think 300 blackout is a terrible deer sized game round out past 50 yards. I had one when it first came out and ultimately turned it into a 6.8 spc.
Anyways back to subject at hand. I bought my son a legendary arms work professional SLP (short length of pull) in 260 Remington. Very nice compact rifle with minimal recoil even still in the 308 family so could use your existing brass with a little work since you handload. Not sure if they still produce it as I think LAW has been going through some changes but may be worth giving them a call.

Right now CDNN has a remington model 7 predator in .243 for under $500. It is a camo gun with a fluted barrel. The .243 will be enough gun for any deer or hog she will ever shoot. There are plenty of good bullets (95 grain ballistic tip, 85 grain sierra, 85 or 100 grain barnes, or 80 - 100 grain partition) available to suit any game she will be after and finding an accurate load is typically not all that difficult. Factory ammo is readily available as well and recoil is pretty minimal. The model 7 is a smaller rifle so it may fit her better than a "full sized" rifle as well.

I have a 15 year old daughter, and when she wanted a lighter rifle than her M700 Classic in .300 Savage I did what any good dad would do. I put together a Faux Howa Alpine rifle in .308 Win. I purchased $399 Howa 1500 at SW with the #1 barrel and dropped it in an HTS stock I got second hand on 24hr. Topped it with Talleys and a VX III 2.5-8X36 and it weighs 7lb .02oz on my scales.

My daughter's a little taller than average standing nearly 5' 11" so she doesn't mind a 13.5" LOP. She shoots the rifle just fine without a brake, but if you have a can I'd thread it in a heartbeat. All I'm saying is don't discount your daughter and what she can tolerate for recoil. She might just surprise you.

My deer load for the .308 is a 125 grain NBT at 3020 fps. My elk load in my daughter's .300 Savage is a 130 grain TTSX at 2790 fps. I plan on trying the 130 TTSX and 125 AB this spring in her rifle. There are a lot of great bullet options in .308 these days.

1st year with the Faux Alpine has been sucessful.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.