smaller wildcat cals.

deserthntr

well i am going to get a new truck rifle so im not looking for anything pretty. but i want to get something that is a smaller caliber that not a ton of people have. it doesnt need to be a wildcat necessarily, just something that will be fun to shoot and not a ton of recoil. i was thinking about a .204, 260, 264, 220 swift, or the like. let me know some fun calibers that i could build up. i would mostly be using it for varmits, coyotes, etc. i have a 6.5x284 but dont want to let that get all banged up. thanks!

Haha..im a bit different when it comes to truck guns. I like it really small so I can maneuver it fast. I use a winchester model 94 30-30 with open sights. Its amazing how fast you can get on a slow trotting coyote and put him down with open sights. I have a had a 220 swift and it is a awesome gun with little recoil. A 204 ruger would be pretty awesome too. Just keep in mind that you will want a shorter barrel on it.

6-6.5X47 Lapua. 105's at 3200. Outstanding accuracy, very little recoil, coyote hammer, and plenty for deer.

Stick with something where good factory ammo is plentiful and not too expensive, 243 or 22-250.

Try a cz 527 in a 204. I think it would be just what your looking for small short barreled rifle you can get in and out of the window fast. I have one and love it even conviced dad to buy one a couple months ago. I stick with the 40 gr vmax for coyote loads but the cheap winchester 32 hp are hell on prairie dogs.

Since the 70's I have built and shot many, many wildcats. I currently have at least twenty five 22 cal and 6mm cal wildcats that were the best of all the ones I did. If I had to pick a few that fit your description in 22 cal it would be the 220 Weatherby rocket and the 22-250 AI. Those two are the fastest I have done that had extreme accuracy. The rocket is the first wildcat Roy Weatherby did and is all you can get blowing out a 220 swift. In 6mm the 243 AI is the best I have seen for accuracy and velocity. It has held numerous world records and wins in 1000 yard competition. It would be in the top five of all cartridges and calibers I have ever shot over the last 50 years. For the cool factor in 6mm the 240 Gibbs is a beast. I have two and they are incredibly fast and accurate. It is all you can get out of an '06 size case and will shoot 75 grain varmint bullets well over 4100 fps. I have one that is set up for 1000+ yards shooting and will hold .5-.75 moa to 1000 yards with the 107 smk over 3600 fps.

So to fit your description of cool factor that not many have that are some of the best out there those are my choices.

I'd go with a 6.5 Grendel. It's a great cartridge and stays supersonic out to 1200 yards. It's a very flat shooter. The good thing is, it's no longer a wildcat since it has become SAAMI certified. The other good thing is that the most popular platform is as an AR. An AR makes a very nice truck gun and is so easy to get parts for. If you already have an AR, the only thing you'd need to change is the Barrel, Bolt and Mag. If you'd like to learn more about the Grendel, go to this site ............

www.65grendel.com/forum

Lots of good Ideas and I have another.

I realy like the 223 AI . for that kind of hunting .Regular 223 ammo can be fired in it, and it is
accurate while fire forming.

223 ammo is one of the cheapest calibers you can buy and you can get it in many different bullet
weights. Then when it comes time to re load the fire formed cases you can push the largest .224
bullets as fast as the 50 to 55 grain bullets in the standard 223.

With the same weight bullets as the 223, the AI version is 150 to 200 ft/sec faster with no real
difference is recoil.

It is deadly on coyotes and well capable to shoot 600+ yards accuratly.

Just another though.

J E CUSTOM

If you want a great little truck gun go with an AR-15 m-4 16" barrel, great accuracy, plenty of ammo with a 20 rnd mag, plenty of cheap accurate ammo. What more could you ask for? If push comes to shove you have plenty of gun for Whitetail not sure about much else but hey then get a bigger gun.

I really like the .270/08AI, accurate, fun to shoot, not many around. gets .270 Winchester ballistics with about 20% less powder. A couple of other good ones would be the .250 Savage AI, the 6mm/250 AI, .244 AI or the .240 Cobra.

I really like the ideas of 220what weatherly rocket, 240 gibbs, 6.5 grendal, 6.5br, and 6-6.5x47. Now just to make a decision. Do all of these take SA or are any a LA?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.