Dangerous Game Rifle Recommendations?

but most of the time I just use my Remington 7600 in 30-06.

Ironic that you mentioned a 7600. While reading through this thread last week I started researching if it's possible to rebarrel a 760/7600 into one of the cartridges that people were discussing.

I eventually found that it is possible, but probably not reasonably feasible.

475 A and M Magnum 400gr bullet at 3200fps.

The cartridge and rifle were designed by the Atkinson & Marquart Rifle Co. of Prescott, Arizona, by necking up the then new .460 Weatherby Magnum to accept a .475 in (12.1 mm) diameter bullet. Fred N. Barnes, the founder of Barnes Bullets for whom the first rifle chambered for this cartridge was made, supplied the bullets. According to anecdotes, Fred Barnes gathered a group of people to demonstrate the rifle. The rifle was fired at the base of a small tree which was uprooted while Fred Barnes who had been shooting from a crouched position on a gravel bed had slid a few feet and ended on his back due to the recoil.[1]

475%20A&M.jpg

Ironic that you mentioned a 7600. While reading through this thread last week I started researching if it's possible to rebarrel a 760/7600 into one of the cartridges that people were discussing.

I eventually found that it is possible, but probably not reasonably feasible.

A number of years ago I saw an article in the Rifleman about a Remington 760 in 35 Whelen used for Elk hunting. This round was developed by Whelen by sizing up the neck of the 30-06 to 35 cal. The shoulder is on the smallish side with reports by some, especially when shot in the Encore, to have insufficient firing pin impact from shoulder collapse. I have not heard of this being a problem in any other type of rifle.

Yah, this could be a sweet choice for someone who wanted both a good elk round and a back up for bear especially on the western side of the continental divide where you are in the rain forest part of the north west.

250 gr (16 g) RN 2,523 ft/s (769 m/s) 3,535 ft·lbf (4,793 J

When he is 25 yards away and moving 40 MPH, I'll take 650 gr of BB's over a slug. If he is going to stop and give me a chest shot, I'll ask him to wait a moment while I get my rifle. Perhaps I could ask him to stand still for a second shot if the excitement causes me to miss the first one. If he won't wait I'll just have to depend on my BB's to the head.

Or I could just carry a short barreled .22 revolver and if I come face to face with a big bear I can shoot myself in the head.
I used to work at a gun store. This was a part time job on the weekends, I really enjoyed. A customer came in and wanted a derringer in 45-70 for big game. The company made two models ,one single shot or two shot. My buddy fellow salesman tells the customer to get the two shot,the second shot was his self when wounded the bear or boar. I also had agun) siamese mauser come in 45-70 , I called one of my best customer's to come in and buy it . This was to keep me from buying it.

Winchester Mod 70 in .458 Winchester caliber!

plenty good enough, but it's a bolt action. Add to that, that it's a controlled feed and what happens if you short chuck the bolt. Plus a second shot on target will be a chore with the recoil and operating the bolt. A 3" slug will do more in the right action.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.