Lightweight hunting rifle recommendations

jjgaw

Looking for a new rifle to take out west with me. I'd like to get something relatively lightweight <8lbs, durable, and of course accurate. I'm somewhat flexible on calibers but I do want something that has good ammo availability. Ive looked at so many rifles that I've over complicated it at this point. Some rifles that have stuck with me so far are browning xbolt hells canyon, sig cross, tikka T3x, savage 110 ultra lite, howa hs carbon fiber, kimber 84m.

My budget is $1400, for the rifle alone. Throw me some suggestions and show me your setups and what you like about them!

Thank you!

I've been eyeing the Kimber 84M, they had one at my local cabelas. It was super light, I just wasn't sure about their accuracy.
I have 2 Montana's, 3 8400's in Select, Classic & Super America and 3 84M's in Select. They are all superbly accurate, however, I handload my own ammo for each and fine tune. I do not use factory ammo other than to run in a barrel and collect brass.
The only issue I ever had is a chamber with marks in it from some metal chips being caught in the reamer flutes, the rifles accuracy was not affected in any way. Polishing the chamber removed the marks.
These rifles are hunting rifles and not suited to long strings of shooting, if that's what you want to do, forget a lightweight rifle.

Cheers.

I've been eyeing the Kimber 84M, they had one at my local cabelas. It was super light, I just wasn't sure about their accuracy.
I have a Kimber 84L Hunter in .30-06 that I had rechambered to .30 Gibbs (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-is-finally-ready.242088/). As seen below, the cost is <$1400 (dies not included).

.30 Gibbs scoped 1 of .jpg

.30 GIBBS weight.jpg

I cannot seem to find time for load development, but below is what I have done thus far, and it shows very promising.
I finally made it to the range today and played with my LabRadar.

190 Berger VLD, OAL = 3.340", CBTO = 2.667", WLR, just trying some powder already open and not after any accuracy, and no seating depth goal at the moment, maybe on the next round.

5-shot series
60.0 H4831SC: AVG = 2558, ES = 20, SD = 10
60.5 H4831SC: AVG = 2577, ES = 45, SD = 24
61.0 H4831SC: AVG = 2599, ES = 29, SD = 13

4-shot series
56 RL17: AVG = 2779, ES = 28, SD = 13
57 RL17: AVG = 2806, ES = 15, SD = 6

All groups well within 1 MOA.
Both still have room for powder, no pressure signs
RL17 shows promise but still have quite a few powders to try and not sure if I'd stick with 190 Bergers.
Good luck!

Ed

In recent years I truly believe you can find an accurate rifle by any any of the factory rifles you listed for most hunting scenarios. The most limiting component will be the factory ammo you are using. This is not to say you cannot find accurate factory ammo. IMHO, your rifle selection should boil down to personal preference. If you are person that will want want to tweak things (after market support), you may want to do some searching before you purchase that factory option. If you are wanting to shoot longer and heavier for caliber bullets, then look at twist rates offered by the rifle companies. Go and handle the rifles before you make your decision. If it fits you well and you really like the look and feel of it, buy it.

Kimber 84m in 308w. Very easy to find ammo, sub 7lb with scope. I handload monos for this rig now but it shoots lights out with cheap fed bluebox core-lokt and fusion ammo.

Attachments

• B47E075B-24D7-4F80-84D4-E51BEAD5CCB0.jpeg
    B47E075B-24D7-4F80-84D4-E51BEAD5CCB0.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited: