Lightweight build recommendation

For a lightweight build, with elk on the menu but limited to say 500 and in, which would you prefer?

• Long and skinny barrel

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Shorter, thicker barrel+suppressor

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters
I vote neither. My preference is 25-26". barrel of mid weight such as Rem magnum sporter or something around .660-670. at the muzzle. Makes for a good profile, weight and balance for me.
Your needs and preferences may differ. Get what you like and not what others like.
I load for performance and just can't stomach handicapping a rifle by not using a barrel length to get optimum performance. To lobb off 5-6" of barrel and 100-150 fps of performance, then hang a big ol' ugly can on the end does not suit me.
Then again, some folks like the cans.
It's nice we all have choices.

Figure out what barrel length you want then pick a profile that gives you the shoulder you need for your suppressor threads. I wouldn't do carbon unless you're going over 22". You just don't save that much weight.

I'd probably like less than is in budget, honestly. But if I were to put a number for a barrel rifle goal weight, I'd say somewhere around 6 or less if attaching can and such to it. My can is a bit heavier (16 oz), so I'd worry about going crazy light with it attached (which is where the long and skinny starts making some sense).
You will be very hard pressed to build a 5 pound flat platform off the savage.

Benchmark 16.5 inch fluted #2 is your friend. You'll need to source a stock in that 18-19 oz range to get close.

Figure out what barrel length you want then pick a profile that gives you the shoulder you need for your suppressor threads. I wouldn't do carbon unless you're going over 22". You just don't save that much weight.
My 18 and 20 carbons are still fairly light but no issue dealing with threading. Really covers all aspects, strong barrel, looks good, threading is no issue.

My 18 and 20 carbons are still fairly light but no issue dealing with threading. Really covers all aspects, strong barrel, looks good, threading is no issue.
You're correct…but if you size the stainless properly there isn't any issues with threading. Stainless has less barrel mirage, more consistent heat and cool cycles and I've seen my fair share of two shots POI matching and as more heat gets in the barrel it will start throwing shots with the carbon barrels.

They have their place in my opinion but short barrels isn't it. He'd be better off with stainless and fluting + still have a couple hundred dollars for other consumables.

You will be very hard pressed to build a 5 pound flat platform off the savage.

Benchmark 16.5 inch fluted #2 is your friend. You'll need to source a stock in that 18-19 oz range to get close.
I think he'll have to go to #3 to get the shoulder for a 5/8-24 at 16". Unless you're suggesting a 1/2-28 thread, which could be done on < 30 caliber. I don't like to set mine up this way but it could be done like that.

You're correct…but if you size the stainless properly there isn't any issues with threading. Stainless has less barrel mirage, more consistent heat and cool cycles and I've seen my fair share of two shots POI matching and as more heat gets in the barrel it will start throwing shots with the carbon barrels.

They have their place in my opinion but short barrels isn't it. He'd be better off with stainless and fluting + still have a couple hundred dollars for other consumables.
Gotcha. Never had an issue and have used them for prs 'matches. I only 4 carbons tho so maybe it's just a numbers game and I haven't gotten a bad one yet.

I'd go something like 20"-22" for a lightweight rig and I'd don't think I'd do a suppressor. A lightweight gun to me means I'm trying to cut ounces everywhere so I probably wouldn't carry that. On that note, I don't think the Savage is really that light of an action and cutting the weight down without a quality carbon stock would be difficult. Have you tried to get a magnum bolt face for a savage short action? I haven't been able to find one.

I vote neither. My preference is 25-26". barrel of mid weight such as Rem magnum sporter or something around .660-670. at the muzzle. Makes for a good profile, weight and balance for me.
Your needs and preferences may differ. Get what you like and not what others like.
I load for performance and just can't stomach handicapping a rifle by not using a barrel length to get optimum performance. To lobb off 5-6" of barrel and 100-150 fps of performance, then hang a big ol' ugly can on the end does not suit me.
Then again, some folks like the cans.
It's nice we all have choices.
Yes it's nice to have choices. Hunting/shooting within an hour of the DFW metro land has been being pieced up many from the metro buying property don't like noise pollution so cans are a compromise to this concern. Myself I haven't pulled the trigger on a can. I picked up a long action impact for prefit barrels looking at going with a 3 conture 22" Bartlein spiral fluted with a Hawkins Hunter DBM m5. Researching the magazine capabilities of a 6.5 prc with a magazine follower spacer.? Will later get with Nick on the possibility. Can, considering would be a ti for weight. My thoughts on holding can in jail for 13 months is wrong. If people can be backgrounded in an hour for rifle purchase time length on a can could be shorter.

If you haven't shot with a can before, it's definitely something to consider. I agree, they should me more easily accessible, especially given they are no where near as quiet as the movies would make. You don't suddenly become a deadly covert assassin with one. However, with a short rifle will come increase muzzle blast, not only in the form of noise but also the concussive sound/pressure wave. A can does a fantastic job of mitigating that. So if I'm going short, I want to have the can on it.

@chav0_12 , I've got a short magnum bolt face on the way right now!

Yes it's nice to have choices. Hunting/shooting within an hour of the DFW metro land has been being pieced up many from the metro buying property don't like noise pollution so cans are a compromise to this concern. Myself I haven't pulled the trigger on a can. I picked up a long action impact for prefit barrels looking at going with a 3 conture 22" Bartlein spiral fluted with a Hawkins Hunter DBM m5. Researching the magazine capabilities of a 6.5 prc with a magazine follower spacer.? Will later get with Nick on the possibility. Can, considering would be a ti for weight. My thoughts on holding can in jail for 13 months is wrong. If people can be backgrounded in an hour for rifle purchase time length on a can could be shorter.
Cans are now 90-120 days. My ti can is 11 ounces. After hunting with one for a couple years I'll likely never hunt or shoot without one again.

If you haven't shot with a can before, it's definitely something to consider. I agree, they should me more easily accessible, especially given they are no where near as quiet as the movies would make. You don't suddenly become a deadly covert assassin with one. However, with a short rifle will come increase muzzle blast, not only in the form of noise but also the concussive sound/pressure wave. A can does a fantastic job of mitigating that. So if I'm going short, I want to have the can on it.

Several years ago, a buddy shot a couple of my 26" barreled rifles. He commented how much "quiter" they were. I never gave it that much thought before that day as far as sound, but afterwards noticed there can be a pretty significant difference compared to a short barreled rifle. I didn't notice before then as all my rifles wear 25-26" barrels.

When it comes to pigs I would like to be "deadly and covert". Destructive animals