Cutting Edge MTH D60 pics.

bigngreen

Got some bullets today, won't be able to get any on the range for a while but I though some might like to see some comparison between a couple other common 338 bullets. I really like the looks of them, I tried to get a good pic of the Meplat's they are perfect vs the snagled tooth look of the SMK.

The pics are left to right, 225 Barnes TTSX, 252 Cutting Edge, 300 SMK and last the 300 Berger OTM.

114.jpg

115.jpg

Great pics, super interested to know how they shoot and what your load turns out to be. I have not tried these babys yet.

Getting closer to launching some of these, kinda hoping they shoot it took $90 to get them on my door step. Here's the info on them from the web site.

"This bullet is designed with the Seal Tite Band shifted even more forward with a smaller ogive radius and is for the .338 Lapua Magnum that will accept a COAL of 3.600-3.715� or for other .338 magnum rifles that are magazine fed with shorter magazine wells. COAL will be the brass trimmed to trim length + .999� bullet projection for preferred Seal Tite Band position. A minimum 1-10� barrel twist rate is required with muzzle velocity of 2800fps or greater. Real world BC of .650 was calculated using muzzle velocity of 3130fps and actual drops from 500 to 1500 yards. Muzzle velocity was established using a .338 Lapua Magnum rifle with a 34" barrel with a barrel twist rate of 1-10". "

I'm shooting them out of a 28in 338 RUM so I doubt I can get the 3130fps they did with their 34 in barrel. I modeled the bullet in Loadbase and the BC looks consistent with what I've been able to get with other bullets I've modeled and shot. The closest bullet I could find that has been BC tested is the Lehigh 245gr solid hybrid bore rider which was tested to be G1 of .651 by KnS Ballistics Services. http://freepdfhosting.com/4626d2127d.pdf I would think the Cutting Edge bullet would be close to the same BC, it looks like some of the CE bullets were offered up for the next round of testing and I'm looking forward to see the results.

I'm hoping to find another bullet that might correspond closely to the same BC as the CE bullet but at a more budget friendly level so I can get a few hundred rounds shot in the wind to get a feel for shooting a bullet at that BC, I can't afford to shoot hundreds of these to get a feel for how they shoot in the wind so my putting them on game at long range hinges on being able to find a practice bullet.
It would take something super sexy to give me the same fuzzy feeling as dropping a 300 gr OTM on game but can't knock it till ya try it I guess.

If anyone has any hints on a load or expectations let me know, I've only loaded 300gr SMK's and the 300 OTM's.

BnG, when you get ready I would come shoot with you in some wind to test. I could shoot my .338 LM with 300 Bergers @ 2800 MV and we could see which bullet truely bucks wind better. We could even shoot simultaneously side by side so we were in the same wind current.

Just a thought.

Jeff

bigngreen,

I shot the CE 225s this past hunting season out of my 338 Khan. I was very impressed with the accuracy of the bullets. My rifle is a single shot so I seated them fairly long. I did try various seating depths and did not see any real variation in accuracy. Pretty much wherever I seated them they shot well. You will be able to get some pretty impressive speeds out of them compared to the 300s (berger or SMK) Terminal performance was good, but not as impressive as the more fragile Bergers. One nice thing about the 225s was the significant decrease in recoil from 300s.

I use mine single shot also so I got the .72 bc 252 grainers. I bet they shoot very well for you. All mine have so far. Nice pictures.

I'm thinking they will shoot, every once in a while you open a box of bullets and know they are going to be good, how good remains to be seen but I'm very confident they will shoot. Don't know if they are what I'm looking for but I like to give everything a fair try.

Do you have any suggestion for a similar BC bullet that I could use for practice, I simply won't shoot a bullet at game that I don't have the wind drift almost memorized with, and I can't afford to put that many of these bullets down range to do that unless I can practice with a very similar BC bullet.

BnG, when you get ready I would come shoot with you in some wind to test. I could shoot my .338 LM with 300 Bergers @ 2800 MV and we could see which bullet truely bucks wind better. We could even shoot simultaneously side by side so we were in the same wind current.

Just a thought.

Jeff

If I get something interesting we'll find a roving band of rock banditos and take them out gun):D

I shot the D65 .72 bc 252 grain with very good results. I know of nothing but the 300 smk with a similar bc. The 265 Barnes will probably shoot close to the 252 you have at .65 or so. The barnes bc is way higher than listed from mine and others drops. We will know soon when they put the doppler to it hopefully.

The Hornady 285 was supposed to have a .720 bc. I shot some waiting on bergers.

OK, so I had a 338 RUM that I wanted to check out how my gunsmithing work was so I loaded up some 300 gr OTM's and a few of the CE 252's. The Bergers were straight forward, find the lands seat .020 of and were GTG, then I went to do the same with the CE's. The seal tight band will lock a bullet in the throat hard when you do this, so I seated them with the seal tight band at the throat and put in 95gr of Retumbo. Accuracy was not acceptable, I think I need to get a better grasp of how to seat these bullets or something. The Bergers shot great with the worst group at 1.6 which dialed right down with a little more velocity to .7 at 2800fps. The CE was really dissapointing at 2.5in, velocity at 3045 fps. I think they should shoot better and they gotta shoot a whole lot better for me to shoot anything with them.

Any reloading tips for the CE bullets, I did notice another thing that while seating something in the seating die contacts the seal tight band but I have not had time to investigate. I'm going to adjust the load a grain both directions to see if I can get any improvement.

Vary the seating depth. That is the key. A grain up or down will not make that much difference. I seated mine to the exact OAL they listed and did well either there or deeper. Never longer in my rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.