CURTIS ACTION- Updated with Pictures

Re: Curtis action

It would be better to just open the bolt nose relief in your barrel.

An action like this should have the threads and full tennon custom fitted.

A Rem-age with a custom action? Uhhh.. You do know there are real gunsmiths in here........ I'm getting woozy. I better sit down..... I don't feel well. Uhh Ohhhh.......... we got a puker! :D

Joel,
What is the projected bolt body to action clearance?

Hope there are priced correctly and I would wait for the titanium.
Tough competition in this game.

Lookin' good Joel.

Any idea of a production schedule? Long action?

We will start production as soon as we iron out a few more cosmetic changes. Going to tweak the shroud, bolt handle, and roller ball cocking piece. Should be within the next few weeks for the short action in the three different configurations, then we'll jump to the long action, Lapua action, and .408 action. Also have corresponding bottom metal coming out for each action.

Dang. There goes my Rem-age build plan. Unless you can turn that extra 0.045" down for me? :rolleyes:

I think it would be a better idea to open up the barrel counterbore, than to turn down the bolt nose...

It would be better to just open the bolt nose relief in your barrel.

An action like this should have the threads and full tennon custom fitted.

A Rem-age with a custom action? Uhhh.. You do know there are real gunsmiths in here........ I'm getting woozy. I better sit down..... I don't feel well. Uhh Ohhhh.......... we got a puker! :D

Joel,
What is the projected bolt body to action clearance?

Right now we are at .004", but may tighten it up to .003".

Hope there are priced correctly and I would wait for the titanium.
Tough competition in this game.

We love competition... Still working on retail pricing, but they will be commensurate with what is already on the market.

Roller ball cocking piece. That will be so nice.

On the bolt clearance I was hoping for enough room for Cerakote. Oh well. I have the Bat and Defiance figured out. We will get this one too.

I don't think I would try .003" on anything for field use. .004" should do it just fine. With the 3 lug it shouldn't need to be all that tight. Just me rambling. You guys look to have it well in hand.

We still have a few more cosmetic changes to make before we go full bore into production...
We will be offering different bolt knobs, we just are using this one for the proto...

LRH%20Joel%20Russo%20and%20Curtis-action-Bolt_zps7kfvigfu.jpg

In case you were wondering, the force required to cock the action is no more than a standard remington bolt lift.

Talk to me Gents....

I'm sure you all have done your engineering/metallurgical research and know all the psi/shear strength, etc.... but?

Please excuse my ignorance - I'm not a machinist nor a gunsmith.... The lugs on this bolt look smallish or smaller than the 2-lug bolts.

Am I wrong?...... Does it make a difference?

Which is stronger the 2 or 3 lug?

I can see how the the 3-lug would provide a more "stable" platform on the bolt head/face to help keep everything in a straight line, but I'm curious about the overall shear strength...

Thanks in advance!!!

Good question...
The surface area of the lugs is the same as the Remington, so we are good there.
We are going to look at the models this week, to see if we can actually make them larger, not because we need to, but because we want to.

Hey this thing is looking good brother, I am glad things are working out for you guys.Talk to you later. Ralph

Good question...
The surface area of the lugs is the same as the Remington, so we are good there.

Thanks - as I now look closely at the 2 lugs visible in the photo, I can see/estimate where 3 of their surface area would to be similar to the Rem 2-lug bolt (looks like your 3-lug would be slightly more than the Rem 2-lug, but as you said they are the same as the Rem).

We are going to look at the models this week, to see if we can actually make them larger, not because we need to, but because we want to.

Nice! Yeah - the feeling/sight of big, strong bolt lugs locking into the receiver impart confidence when closing the bolt on a hot-rod cartridge.

Y'all have got a winner here (if specs/looks meaning anything at all!).

I love the short throw feature.

Any chance that the rear of the bolt could be smooth rather than 6 sided?
You have a lot of angles going on there between the flats on the sides of the action, the pointed flutes in the bolt and the hard 6 sides of the rear of the bolt. It just looks a bit disharmonious to me.

Otherwise possibly have the number of flutes line up with the number of sides of the rear? I'm guessing you have 7 flutes but 6 sides, if that makes sense.