Crooked scope?

Problem solved! Turns out the brand new wheeler bore level I bought isn't molded level it's crooked.

No problem, just buy another level to check the first level.
Or you might just reverse the level and see if it works that way.
They also make very precise levels for leveling precision machinery,
like maybe rifle scopes? They take about 5 minits to tell you if the thing is perfect. Not the level, but the object your attempting to level.
But sometimes those things need checking also.
A plumb bob works well also, but will only show your verticle line to be plumb, but the level line still might not be level. Especially in a cheaper scope which is another subject. One would think that by now somebody would be marketing a device that gives all that information so we could be sure the reticle is both plumb and level.
No doubt there would be a big demand for it.
Ive been just putting the guns on the table and lining up the verticle line with the corner of the garage which is about 75' away. I never
really checked to see if the garage corner is perfectly plumb, but I guess it might be a good idea. Or I could just try a different corner in order to check against the first corner. But then id have to move the table also.

A few years back I had Bruce Baer install a new Nightforce on a gun.
I couldn't wait to watch how a professional gunsmith installs a scope.
He put the gun on a shooting bench in his shop and then commenced
to install the scope. He had opened the window and aligned it on a target frame a couple hundred yards away.
After he had it set to suit him, he told me to look thru it. I had him tweek it slightly and he then tightened it down with a regular screwdriver.
I guess I should be disappointed?

Problem solved! Turns out the brand new wheeler bore level I bought isn't molded level it's crooked.
like maybe rifle scopes? They take about 5 minits to tell you if the thing is perfect. Not the level, but the object your attempting to level.
A plumb bob works well also, but will only show your verticle line to be plumb, but the level line still might not be level. Especially in a cheaper scope which is another subject.

A plumb bob works well also, but will only show your verticle line to be plumb, but the level line still might not be level. Especially in a cheaper scope which is another subject. One would think that by now somebody would be marketing a device that gives all that information so we could be sure the reticle is both plumb and level.
No doubt there would be a big demand for it.
Ive been just putting the guns on the table and lining up the verticle line with the corner of the garage which is about 75' away. I never
really checked to see if the garage corner is perfectly plumb, but I guess it might be a good idea. Or I could just try a different corner in order to check against the first corner. But then id have to move the table also.

A few years back I had Bruce Baer install a new Nightforce on a gun.
I couldn't wait to watch how a professional gunsmith installs a scope.
He put the gun on a shooting bench in his shop and then commenced
to install the scope. He had opened the window and aligned it on a target frame a couple hundred yards away.
After he had it set to suit him, he told me to look thru it. I had him tweek it slightly and he then tightened it down with a regular screwdriver.
I guess I should be disappointed?
You can also just draw an + on a piece of cardboard or plywood and set it level either on a stake or against a wall.

Level the rifle, install the scope and match the crosshairs to the +.

I like simple.

Total newbie question here but, I have a Remington 300 wm sendero that I just bought a nightforce shv for, nf rings and base as well. I mounted up the scope tonight using a bore level and another small level on top of the scope and got it perfect. But when I look from behind the rifle it looks way off. Even with one level on the top of the rings and one on the scope they are no where near close. Same with one in the bore and one on the rings. Is this common? I'd assume they should all three be level? Or am I using the wrong bore level? I've never ran into this issue and I have mounted several scopes on different coyote and closer range deer rifles and have never had any crooked scope issues. but I have never had a long range rifle or used any nightforce products
What rings (height wise ) did you wind up using ?
Gregg

I ended up going with the nightforce ultralight low rings (.885") on the 20 moa nf rail. Still clears just fine but it may be a bit too tight to get butler creek caps on but we'll have to see when I get some I guess!

I use this tool:
scope leveling tool.jpg

My scope is plumb centered above the bore, and another level atop the turret levels the scope. Follow up with a tall target tracking test and you are good to go.

I ended up going with the nightforce ultralight low rings (.885") on the 20 moa nf rail. Still clears just fine but it may be a bit too tight to get butler creek caps on but we'll have to see when I get some I guess!
Wow, thanks. I have 1" tall rings, but I needed to get taller. Thanks again.

You needed taller for the same scope?
Yeah, can't figure it out. Gotta be the base. I'm running a 2pc Weaver , on a Savage LA. Just checked Sendero barrel dimensions, and it's close to my Lilja. I only need about .030 to clear. Odd. You have .150 shorter rings, and you good. I have taller rings, and still gotta go up. Oh well, they are on their way. Coming in the same shipment, I guess, as the scope. Man, am I excited about that scope !

You can also just draw an + on a piece of cardboard or plywood and set it level either on a stake or against a wall.
I like to use window panes or the corners of buildings if I can see outside.

Brick building are especially good for being plumb and level, as are most door and window frames.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.