Scope ??

I just had a custom rifle build for me. The builder recommended the Bushnell Elite Tacticle 6-24X50. I like the scope but I do not love the scope. It works fine but I regret not getting a Night Force. The glass is not as good and the construction is not as substantial. I am sure it will not last like the Nightforce. I saw the post that said buy once, cry once and never regret it. In my case I bought once and will probably buy again. I cry everytime I think for a few bucks more I could have had the best. Why build custom and settle for a scope that is not as worthy as the rifle.

Im sure it didnt cost as much as a Night Force either. There are lots of HIGH $$ scopes out on the market but before I ever spend the loot for a Night Force I'll have bought and tested ALL of the others!

You have to decide if you what you want to do, rifle use, multiple rifles make it harder to outfit. I have scope in $5-600 range and it does same thing as my scope that is 3 times as much, just not as refined. I favor mil and mil reticule.But have all types. I have found the B&C w/dial has been good for my son,faster and easier, That scope would be nice having zero stop, because he doesnt pay attention

My Vortex PST FFP MOA has an illuminated reticle and a zero stop plus the custom turret as an option.

You can buy them from many places and the prices are all the same from different retailers I think.

Look here to get an idea:

SWFA Riflescopes Vortex Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scopes

This is the one I have:

Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope

joseph

PS: If you are used to inches and yards I suggest you get a MOA/MOA scope instead of a MIL/MIL.

This is how I mounted mine:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=584687&highlight=

With all the reviews it looks like NF is da winner. Jus one ? How is the scope at daylight and dusk. By the way i think ima get the 5.5x22x56! Jus wish they had a plan reticle! Oh yea what the difference in the g7 and reg NF they made by same people!

Cajun , stay on this site and keep asking questions . I was on a budget and purchased a Vortex Viper LR HS 4X14X50 scope tracks perfectly. Today I am hitting 16'' x 16'' targets out to 900 every time. Thanks to this site specifically.. Thanks Fellas.
:):)

With all the reviews it looks like NF is da winner. Jus one ? How is the scope at daylight and dusk. By the way i think ima get the 5.5x22x56! Jus wish they had a plan reticle! Oh yea what the difference in the g7 and reg NF they made by same people!

You may need to take into consideration that the NF weighs about "THREE" pounds. So if you decide to get one imagine putting a 3 pound brick on top of your rifle. It will cost about $1800 for a NF First Focal Plane (FFP) and more $$$$ with a custom turret.

A Vortex PST 6-24x50mm FFP MOA/MOA with zero stop and illuminated reticle and a custom turret with one of the best reticles you can get will cost you half the price of a FFP NF. OH don't forget how much NF charges for their mounts and rings and you may need a 20 moa Picatinny rail and a bubble level. Then you may want a good target rest and front & rear bags. ADD an extra $1000 for these. Then there is a portable shooting bench, wind flags & seat $200 plus.

It is your money!!! :D

joseph

PS: OH I forgot to mention that with a 56 mm objective you may have to add an adjustable cheek piece ( $$$$ ) to your stock so you can see through the scope correctly since the scope will be a lot higher.

I know that I'm trying to get you to buy the scope like mine because you will love it. The glass is very good and I have not had any trouble seeing at very long distances 1/2 hour before sun rise & after sun set. OH don't waste your money on a "KILL FLASH". When you aim towards the sun when it is low on the horizon you CAN"T see anything. Kill flash = COOL. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum Read post #17.

I also added a UV filter to the objective lens so I never need to clean the scope objective. Only the filter and if I scratch the filter at least I did not scratch the scope lens.

Attachments

• UV FILTER .JPG
    UV FILTER .JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 45
  • setup 2.jpg
    setup 2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Dang confused again!!!!!!! The reviews i read say that the votex glass is not as good as NF. That seems to b the only dif that bein said is this everyones opinions?

It is a lot easier with a scope like mine then like the one you have. Especially with a custom turret. It will make you a much better shot.

Just imagine you are over looking your power line and you are sighted in at 100 yds. for a close up shot. Then the biggest buck you ever saw steps out at 800 yds. You laze the distance turn your custom turret to #8 for 800 yds. and if no wind hold the cross hair on its shoulder and squeeze and watch him drop. It will be that easy. gun)------------

joseph

PS: Put targets out on the power line when it is windy and shoot while holding into the wind with the hash marks. With a FFP scope the hash marks are the same distances between each at ALL the power settings. A little practice and you will understand. The Vortex scope I have sells for around $950 plus $100 for the custom turret. Read the Threads I posted and if you do what I did you should be spot on with the custom turret.

As long as you have the game animal trained to show up at EXACTLY 600, 700, 800, 900.....ect..."it will be that easy".

As long as you never switch loads, bullets, elevation or tempratures, "it will be that easy".

Dang confused again!!!!!!! The reviews i read say that the votex glass is not as good as NF. That seems to b the only dif that bein said is this everyones opinions?

Yes I think the NF glass is maybe $100 better, but for sure not $1000 better. If money is no object get the NF and drag around an extra brick on top of your rifle. If I can see good enough at 1000 yds. to put 15 consecutive shots in the chest of an antelope how much better glass do you need.

joseph

Joseph vortex needs to hire you! You are a great salesman!! Lol. I know i wont be making any shots At 1000yds. My avg shots here in louisiana are 200 yds but i did shoot my longest shot here this season at 458 yds n yea missd! When i go to nebraska the avg shot is 250-300 yds but they can definatly get longer! So sounds like the vortex would b perfect as long as its good in low light?

As long as you have the game animal trained to show up at EXACTLY 600, 700, 800, 900.....ect..."it will be that easy".

As long as you never switch loads, bullets, elevation or tempratures, "it will be that easy".

I take it that you have never seen or used a custom turret. Look at the picture below and you can see that there are lines every 25 yds. which if your laser rangefinder says 835 yds. you move the turret to #8 plus one line plus a little more before you get to the 850 line.

I can kill a deer out to about 800 yds with my 6mm Norma BR. and I can kill a wood chuck at 50 yds. with the same 105 gr. Berger VLDs. I never change bullets or loads I have other rifles that I can use if I care to use different bullet weights.

Read my thread about Field testing this rifle.

Also I have put the 6-24x50mm PST scope on my Browning BAR 30+06 and have shot it out to 400 yds. and it is only 2 inches low at 400 yds. with 150 gr COR-LOKT factory loads. When I put it on the BAR I only had to adjust the windage about 8 clicks to center it up. I probably got lucky, but the ark that both bullets take going down range is very close.

joseph

PS: The target is 5 shots at 200 yds. This is why I don't change bullets.

Attachments

• 200 yd. 3:8" .JPG
    200 yd. 3:8" .JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 49
  • custom turret .jpg
    custom turret .jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 55
I take it that you have never seen or used a custom turret. Look at the picture below and you can see that there are lines every 25 yds. which if your laser rangefinder says 835 yds. you move the turret to #8 plus one line plus a little more before you get to the 850 line.

I can kill a deer out to about 800 yds with my 6mm Norma BR. and I can kill a wood chuck at 50 yds. with the same 105 gr. Berger VLDs. I never change bullets or loads I have other rifles that I can use if I care to use different bullet weights.

Read my thread about Field testing this rifle.

Also I have put the 6-24x50mm PST scope on my Browning BAR 30+06 and have shot it out to 400 yds. and it is only 2 inches low at 400 yds. with 150 gr COR-LOKT factory loads. When I put it on the BAR I only had to adjust the windage about 8 clicks to center it up. I probably got lucky, but the ark that both bullets take going down range is very close.

joseph

PS: The target is 5 shots at 200 yds. This is why I don't change bullets.

Fine....you never switch bullets/loads. And you never change elevation dramaticly, and you never shoot at EXTREAM ranges where "every 25 yards" isn't enough. Then it is, as you say, "as simple as that".

My thoughts are...since you are dialing anyway...dial the EXACT number of comeups for the EXACT distance as per the EXACT enviornmental conditions and load info at ANY distance and NOT pay for one or more sets of "custom" turrets.

Just my .02

Ps...Pretty sure that your 5 shot group at 200 does not impress me. Since this is a "long range hunting" site.....it's that 1st round hit at XXXX yards in conditions that will impress the hell out of me...cause that is what matters, and that is what is so darn tough about LRH.

I swear by the 6.5 - 20 x 50 Vortex Viper ...... best bang for the buck ..... very reliable scope.

Keep the money for the custon turrets and use that money for ammo. Use the JBM online ballistic calculator and make yourself a simple range cards in 25 yard increments and you'll do just fine. I even broke mine down into clicks so I don't have to do any math on the fly. All I need to do is laser my target and dail the clicks I need. Can't be simpler.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.