Coyote Caliber Dialing Long Distance

OK, Looking to do a build "Just" for hunting "yotes"
Long distance. Bolt action
What's the thoughts of calibers.
Now having said this I want them to fall over dead
but I don't want to blow them apart.
AR 15 with Sierra game king bullet! This load will not fit the magazine but you only need one clean shot! Insert the " bobsled" in the mag holder and it's easy to load another round! Have shot it at steel plates out to 1000 yards. Any 22 caliber would work nicely (22-259 for example and several others, just don't use VMax if you want the pelts.

As a guess, you probably want something in the 65-80gr range pushing 3000+ FPS. Off the shelf stuff, a 22-250 fits the description very well. 22 creedmoor will be the same thing but better (and probably more expensive across the board). .243 or 6mm creedmoor will probably do what you want but may be a bit on the overkill side. On the light side, you may be able to get a .223 remington to do what you want to. My vote would go to 22-250 all day.
Ditto the 22 Creedmoor for a fast 22, also like the small primer option. Have it chambered for the projectiles you intend to use. Haven't owned one but after wearing out three 22.250 barrels and not being happy with any, think this is a good option. If you need anyone to bash the 22.250 you have come to the right place.

A lot of people went with 6.5 mm as a caliber in differing cartridges . I went with a 6.5 x 284 Norma for my 1000 yard rifle . Several people went with 6 mm 's as well . A lot of it depends on what weight of bullet you are thinking about using , how fast you want it to travel and how well you need it to perform in the weather conditions you have on average . I wanted to run a 120 grain bullet so went with a 1:9 twist and used Nosler ballistic tip bullets , they had a good BC did what I needed them to . The thing for me was to decide what bullet weight I wanted to use . Then decide how fast I wanted it to travel and how well I wanted it to perform at different ranges . It's a personal choice and a lot of things to consider do some studying figure out what you really want it to do for your needs and go from there .
I went 6.5 grendel for hogs and yokes. Very effective near and far. Not exactly a 1000yd gun of choice but can be done. The 6 creed however can varmints to 600 and ring steel pretty effectively. Plenty of other good choices out there also.

I built a 22 creed off a savage 12fv action,mdt chassis and criterion barrel from northland supply and use it for 600 yard matches with 90 vld's and 6.5 staball powder 3140fps. I've shot it out to 1000 with good results. Currently waiting for 88 eldm's because bergers just don't seem to be available. Will hopefully be trying the 88's on some coyotes pretty soon. Currently helping a friend put a 6 creed together and want to thank all for posting about bullet performance.

I just pulled my 22 CM bbl off and spun my 243 AI, which I had cut down to 18", back on for denning season. Testing this past weekend, I shot 75gr V-Max at 310 to check vertical dispersion. It shot .3-.4 with a stiff wind. I'm going to tune it a bit and take it out to 950 or more on Sunday.

I just spun an 8 twist 6 CM on another action which the bedding is curing on now. I plan to take 107 SMK's the distance this week with a light load fire-forming some virgin brass. It'll get carried some here shortly to see how it is on fur, too.

Redfoot Ranch , do you fire your brass a couple of times before you set the shoulders back a couple of thousands . Or do you just neck size from start to finish of the brass life expectancy or full length size which I really doubt as you are looking to wring the best accuracy from your loading . Are you running Savage or Remage actions or do you take them in to do barrel changes ?

Last edited:
I went 6.5 grendel for hogs and yokes. Very effective near and far. Not exactly a 1000yd gun of choice but can be done. The 6 creed however can varmints to 600 and ring steel pretty effectively. Plenty of other good choices out there also.
I really like this .22 Creedmoor, and I'm also learning a "lot" of guns are not 1000 yarders per sé
So now I need to learn how to build one.

out at a 1000, but again I want something left of them, for making a coat, hats and other things, sell pelts from time to time.

Gotta ask, how many yotes are you taking a year and what's your longest kill on one to date?

Gotta ask, how many yotes are you taking a year and what's your longest kill on one to date?
Hey Dogz, I'm not hunting them as of now, wanting to build a rifle too.
I've hunted them in the past, I just like shooting long distance, which I thing holds an advantage when hunting coyotes.

MI.264 , If you intend to call long range isn't really a big concern . Over the years , I did it as a profession for more then 36 years , I had just a few times that coyote stayed out very far my farthest shot was at 643 lasered and that was with my 30-06 running 150 grain bullets that I hand loaded . If you want to just set and look for coyote to shoot at longer distances then that is another story . but for the most part with calling you will be under 100 yards and often fast action . I did build a 6.5x284 for longer shots because I wanted to see if I could shoot a coyote at a 1000 yards but didn't ever get that chance with it . Studying and figuring out what I wanted to build then the build were the fun part of that project and the 1000 yard coyote ended up being the excuse that I used to build it . So after all the time spent studying on it deciding what bullet I wanted to use , figuring what action and barrel to use and what stock I wanted putting it together for around 3000.00 dollars I only got to shoot a few coyote at 500 yards and under with it but knew that I could run an 8 inch group at 1000 yards and shoot a coyote if the chance were to present it's self . So in reality it wasn't about killing a coyote at 1000 yards as much as it was about building a rifle that was able to .

Once you decide what bullets and cartridge you want , you then can decide on the action you want to use . If you have a hard time finding a new action try going to the pawn shops to see if you can find a rifle there that has the action you want to use that isn't badly abused because a lot of people will buy a rifle intending to start hunting then need money for something else or they get old and their family pawns them . Just another place to look for a good action at a good price well maybe not in todays world

MI.264 , If you intend to call long range isn't really a big concern . Over the years , I did it as a profession for more then 36 years , I had just a few times that coyote stayed out very far my farthest shot was at 643 lasered and that was with my 30-06 running 150 grain bullets that I hand loaded . If you want to just set and look for coyote to shoot at longer distances then that is another story . but for the most part with calling you will be under 100 yards and often fast action . I did build a 6.5x284 for longer shots because I wanted to see if I could shoot a coyote at a 1000 yards but didn't ever get that chance with it . Studying and figuring out what I wanted to build then the build were the fun part of that project and the 1000 yard coyote ended up being the excuse that I used to build it . So after all the time spent studying on it deciding what bullet I wanted to use , figuring what action and barrel to use and what stock I wanted putting it together for around 3000.00 dollars I only got to shoot a few coyote at 500 yards and under with it but knew that I could run an 8 inch group at 1000 yards and shoot a coyote if the chance were to present it's self . So in reality it wasn't about killing a coyote at 1000 yards as much as it was about building a rifle that was able to .
True Dat!!!

A few years back a friend of mine brought a rifle over because he bought it at a pawn shop for two hundred dollars as the trigger didn't work . It was a P.O.Ackley rifle custom made and had little use just had a broken screw in the trigger there are good deals out there if you take the time to look . The guy that had it built only used it to hunt elk when it broke he kept it but was too old to hunt elk and when he passed his kid didn't know what he had and pawned it instead of getting it fixed and the pawn shop owner obviously didn't either .

Last edited: