Coyote Caliber Dialing Long Distance

I have to admit that my 6-284 is my favorite rifle. I built it on a blue printed LH 700 Long Action to allow seating those long, heavy bullets out farther. I'm currently using Ramshot Magnum under a 112gn Match Burner @3400fps. I can tell you this... Antelope don't like it much. :cool:

As far as powder for the 22 Creed, i'd run something in the H1000 burn rate.

t
Wow, that 284 sounds like a fun versatile rifle! Thanks
Lol, that depends on if you like barrels or not. Some folks gasp at chamberings that only offer 1000rnds of barrel life. To me, barrels are a consumable, period. When I toast this Kreiger, i'll set it back or replace it.

t
I agree, barrels are somewhere between toilet paper and motor oil. Can't wait to change mine out. Bullets are the expensive parts. Life is too short not to have fun with your shooting and reloading.

They have left hand Origin with 308 bolt face and choice of knob and 20 MOA base.
You can also buy an additional replacement magnum bolt face should you delve into the short fat magnum world!
Heck of an option with their bolt face exchange

Yes. That is another reason for it's popularity. You can also screw in a Savage prefit threaded barrel with nut or have a shoulder fit ordered install it yourself (with correct head-spacing of course).

I've used guns in the various calibers mentioned, but there are two that I find little to no mention of. Various builds in the 25 caliber; I'm partial to the 25:06AI, and the old but still quite effective 220 Swift. Loaded correctly and used well, I have unanimous consent from the coyote population - they work!

Most of the shots in this part of Idaho are either close - less than 100 yards, or medium to longer range - 250 to 500 yards.

Thanks, makes sense
Thanks, makes sense
Right on gunpowder, I take 2 guns for daytime hours and for night time with my thermal scope the 22-250 with 50gr BTs and 69gr match BTHPs, the poi at a 100yds is the same which makes the math easier. FYI most of the kills with the 50 gr ballistic tips do not pass through on solid body hits that I can see, I just check for male or female. The glancing blows do make it easier for the buzzards and they kill quickly either way. If you need more fur just kill more coyotes. Keep up the good work! 🤓

Right on gunpowder, I take 2 guns for daytime hours and for night time with my thermal scope the 22-250 with 50gr BTs and 69gr match BTHPs, the poi at a 100yds is the same which makes the math easier. FYI most of the kills with the 50 gr ballistic tips do not pass through on solid body hits that I can see, I just check for male or female. The glancing blows do make it easier for the buzzards and they kill quickly either way. If you need more fur just kill more coyotes. Keep up the good work! 🤓
Well that's funny. So what I'll need to do is sew hide replacement
a.k.a male pattern baldness due to bullet holes, it's an infectious illness among coyotes both male and female.

OK, Looking to do a build "Just" for hunting "yotes"
Long distance. Bolt action
What's the thoughts of calibers.
Now having said this I want them to fall over dead
but I don't want to blow them apart.
Don't forget to add availability of components into your decision. Right now at Midway they have the following availabilities on their bullets. Showing number of available products following each caliber they are: .243/27, .257/3, .264/22, .277/22, .284/3, .308/105. These are slim pickens, and the situation is worse if you're looking for varmint bullets.

for yotes from 10 yds to 1K no doubt I'd be looking at a 7 or 8 twist 6/06. As much as I like my 22's especially my 22/250 and my 22/250 Ack (basically a 22 CM) I don't think much of them once range begins to go beyond 400.

The 6's have another world of bitch slap to them over the 22's when hits aren't perfectly spot on...

I used to take 45-60 yotes a winter via calling and drive by's and I've worked with most rounds. The Big 6's are model perfect as a yote round based on my experience.

Best of luck to ya in your build

As for pelts the best you can do is avoid big bones as best as possible:

*shoulder/shoulders

*spine

*breast bone on a frontal shot

I've killed quite a few coyotes with my 6creed my 6x47 lapua and my 243. I always tried to shoot something in the 70gr range. But I had a buddy turn me onto some Hornady 108eldm and that is the only bullet I shoot out of those rifles now. They are going right around the 3050fps range. I've never shot a coyote at 1000yds never really even tried. But I have killed quite a few in the 6-700 yd range. This bullet was surprisingly fur friendly as well. Unless u hit them to high or gutted them then they were a mess but that's going to happen with a 22-250 and a 50gr bullet too. I had tried some 105bergers but those bullets seemed to pencil right through with out opening like a fmj. I would stay away from those bullets I lost quite a few coyotes to those bullets or had to go chase them down in cattails. It seemed like there just wasn't enough there to get them to open up if they were over 300yds. Under 300 they seemed to work well.

I would call northland shooters supply too. I have got two barrels, two actions, and a few triggers. James is great to deal with. I'm a lefty also and got a big horn origin from James with a trigger tech, that's what I use for my coyote rifle, very smooth nice action.

Last edited:

Recent Posts