COW Fireforming….hard on barrel?

Anyone ever chambered a barrel stub for COW forming? Does length of the barrel even matter?

Wonder if it would make sense to have a spare action with a stub on it if you have to do a lot of forming. Thinking for a heavy improved .308 cartridge, multiple barrels so needs lots of brass formed.
You just have to be sure its over 16in and your good, I've done a straight barrel and chambered both end so I can fire form two chamberings one barrel.

Anyone ever chambered a barrel stub for COW forming? Does length of the barrel even matter?

Wonder if it would make sense to have a spare action with a stub on it if you have to do a lot of forming. Thinking for a heavy improved .308 cartridge, multiple barrels so needs lots of brass formed.
I know a few folks that have done that very thing

I can see a switch lug with your normal barrel and a 16" stub fireforming barrel!!!

Last edited:
You just have to be sure its over 16in and your good, I've done a straight barrel and chambered both end so I can fire form two chamberings one barrel.
Is the 16" because of the SBR rules? That's not a problem for me, I'm a bonafide stamp collector, ATF has me on their Christmas card list at this point. If a 6" stub would get it done for COW that's a lot easier to find laying around for free, but a dedicated 16" barrel with dual chambers wouldn't be hard either.

That's basically my logic - if the same reamer cuts 1-2-3 chambers all in a row, I should be able to get Chamber #4 cut at the same time for dedicated COW forming for the first 3. Then I'll have 3 barrels that should all last at least 500 rounds 😂

How does a 36" 6-twist 300 RUM 40* improved for 240gn CEs/227 HHs no-turn with ADG brass sound? :eek:

Last edited: