COW Fireforming….hard on barrel?

I'm planning to do some COW fireforming, but is it hard on barrel life? How do I clean it out? Clean every 50 rds or more?
I
I'm planning to do some COW fireforming, but is it hard on barrel life? How do I clean it out? Clean every 50 rds or more?
Consider using Puff-Lon with a beeswax cap works well without all the messy cleaning. Kapok works well also.

What is puff-lon and kapok?
"What is a kapok used for?

Kapok is also used as stuffing for pillows, mattresses, and upholstery, as insulation material, and as a substitute for absorbent cotton in surgery. Kapok is chiefly cultivated in Asia and Indonesia; the floss is an important product of Java."

Probably isn't going down my barrel none too soon!!!;) Not sure what it will do to the barrel, probably okay, but..... I'll stick with the toilet paper or cotton balls.

"What is a kapok used for?

Kapok is also used as stuffing for pillows, mattresses, and upholstery, as insulation material, and as a substitute for absorbent cotton in surgery. Kapok is chiefly cultivated in Asia and Indonesia; the floss is an important product of Java."

Probably isn't going down my barrel none too soon!!!;) Not sure what it will do to the barrel, probably okay, but..... I'll stick with the toilet paper or cotton balls.
So using kapok instead of cream of wheat?

COW and soap cap..I did this on a 270 gibbs to resurrect it back to life. No issues with this method. had the same barrel on it from the 60s and once we got the brass done and found a load it shot great.

I loathe, hate and despise dealing with COW, jamb a booger bullet and have some fun shooting and clean like normal when done.
I usually take one rifle for fire forming and pop some rounds of at gongs between shooting another one for load development. I hate COW so much, then you gotta watch your chamber and make sure you don't get any build up on top of cleaning. No thank you!!

Anyone ever chambered a barrel stub for COW forming? Does length of the barrel even matter?

Wonder if it would make sense to have a spare action with a stub on it if you have to do a lot of forming. Thinking for a heavy improved .308 cartridge, multiple barrels so needs lots of brass formed.

Recent Posts