Cost of Landowner Tag, Idaho Elk Hunt, 10/1/19 to 10/5/19

First, I'd be checking with ID officials to see if this outfitter is on the up and up, as well as to do some checking to see that the contest was legit. I would also ask for written paperwork from them BEFORE trying to draw the tag saying exactly what you're getting for free for winning the contest IF you draw the tag. Unfortunately, there are shysters out there just like everywhere else and this could be one of those situations that even if it's on the up and up there could be a number of added costs to the hunt if it even transpires. A good example is an outfit in south Texas that runs a monthly contest for a "free" hog hunt if your email entry is selected. The scam was/is that essentially everyone that enters is sent an email back saying they're the winner and will need to pay a number of fees like cleaning, mandatory tips to the staff, etc. The Texas AG shut the operation down due to complaints, but before long different family took over and immediately followed the same type of scam and I believe the state is still working on getting it closed down again as the complaints have started piling up again.

I know the place you are referring to just by the description. You might imagine their name in "The Declaration of ...." I won such a "drawing" from them but could tell it was pretty much a scam because with tips etc. it quickly got up to $600 for a hog. They're a top result in a youtube search. Saying they're like used car salesmen is an insult to used car salesmen.

Ok, it's past your hunt dates on 10/1-10/5......did you go on the hunt, and if so, tell us all about it??

Ok, it's past your hunt dates on 10/1-10/5......did you go on the hunt, and if so, tell us all about it??

Thanks for checking up on this. I did not get to go. I have an a'hole boss that cancelled my vacation about 3 weeks before the hunt. The outfitter was very generous and offered me guide service & lodging for free next season if I am luck enough to draw a tag.

The outfitter was Jokers Wild / M2D camo : https://m2dcamoproperties.com/ . The owner is Sparky Sparkes. He went out of his way to help me in every regards.

As far as the cost of the landowner tag, I was incorrect. There was no cost. The rule ended up being that I had to buy Idaho non resident hunting license and put in for the draw. If I did not draw a tag, the outfitter was allowed to provide me a landowner tag.

The tag I applied for was hunt number code 2005, Unit 29, Bull elk hunt Oct 1 -31. Since I did not win the draw, I was given a landowner tag.

By the way , not sure if any of you are members but I would highly recommend checking out https://promembershipsweepstakes.com/ . This is a hunting / fishing contest where they give trips and other prizes away every 10 days. It is sponsored by Sportsman Warehouse stores. The cost is $27 a month. I might be extremely lucky but I have been a member only 3 years and I have won two hunts and an Outdoor Edge game processing knife set. The hunts I won were a Utah mule deer hunt 3 years ago which was awesome and this Elk hunt which I did not get to go to .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.