Idaho Elk Hunting???

wolves are the worst we hunted boise river valley last year and we seen 12 wolves and 3 elk all week long ,too bad they were cows , my bull tag wouldnt work on them. Our guide rode on horseback all week and only seen a few elk tracks in the snow . so hopefully there will be a season on them so we can thin the wolves to were they need to begun)

WElcome to north Idaho, Sully here,ive lived in the panhandle for over a decade and have had some sucess at elk huntting here. but i also hunt other locations. up here in the north its the toughest hunting for elk ive ever done. just like any other place or favorite spot there is a learning curve. generally a four year cycle will lead to good sucess. yr 1 learn your new area,talk to as many people in that drainage or area. scout and journal times and conditions when you encounter elk during the season. four years and most weather conditions will repeat and migration routes will be learned and you will start to experience some sucess. the wolves are always a factor and cannot be taken out of the equation. they are really changing the rutting behavior. practice the three "s"s and goog luck Rathdrum, ID

The elk population around St. Maries (St. Joe River) was hit hard by the winter of 2007-2008. The arial survey conducted in February found 8 calves per 100 cows and as a result, the Idaho Fish and Game have drastically reduced the season. Elk hunting around there is hard even when times are good. Deer populations are way down as well. Unless you want to hunt for wolves, stay in Montana. You often see more elk in one day hunting in Montana than you will in a decade on the St. Joe.

I would say this is pretty much spot on for the St. Joe. I lived, played, and hunted in the Joe for a long time...but I had far better luck and success elk hunting in central Idaho. Tried to find a mule deer up the St. Joe last fall and all I found was a lot of disappointed hunters and wolf tracks/sightings.

If any of you draw a Bennit Hills Tag, I know a good spot to go :)

Tried to draw a Bennett Hills buck tag (unit 45) for years and have finally given up. Have a close friend that has drawn twice in the last 10 years and has taken 2 really "good" bucks. I won't say where as he'd kill me for sure. Never gave elk hunting in that unit a thought. Cross the road in unit 43 would be better elk hunting I would think could be wrong though. At least the tag would be easier to draw.

where on the pan handle i like to hunt in the salmon and lemhi areas at the base and in the pan so to speak, Get yourself a bow and get use to not getting any thing with it. i find that most idao hunters hunt bow season to scout out areas for there rifle or muzzleloader hunts any way. but after a couple of good scouting expeditions you can set up for a great bow hunt just get a friend to go with you and help call them in, couse they like to stop outside of range and look for that cow or hide back and look for the bull that they have been bugleing to. have fun and enjoy idaho.

Last edited:
Unit 29 is not too much of a drive from unit 59 and let me tell you, This unit is loaded with Elk. Been going there for years I know the area better than people know their back yard any questions fell free to contact me.
[email protected].

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts