Idaho elk Hunting.

mullmann03

Thinking about going to Idaho for elk hunting since I did not get drawn here in AZ. I am looking at the Mccall area 19A. Does anyone know anything about 19A or have suggestions on other areas?

Not familiar with 19a but if you are set up (horses) I would recommend unit 27 in the back country mainly the Indian Creek and Pistol Creek drainages. Same general area of the state but the wolves might be a problem. Have not been back in there for a few years. There is good elk hunting in unit 18 and 22 if you can draw then get to them. I used to backpack hunt from the Snake up in 22 and use horses to get into 18 on the Snake River side. Steep and a butt kicker but lots of game.

I was just up the Salmon River into that area and saw elk every day along the river and the areas we could hike into. I would check with the outfitters that work that area.

I e-mailed some outfitters who gave me some general information. I wont be using horses and one outfitter said that was the only way to get to the back country where elk are. Another outfitter said 19A has really good areas and some poor areas and you just have to find them. I have been looking at unit 23 as well.

TJAY I know this might be a tough question but do you know if you were on river that flows on the north side of 19A or the east side of 19A? I am thinking about camping in 19A or driving in depending on how weather is. If I go with 19A I am thinking about starting around the Chinook campground and working south away from the roads or work south from warren away from any roads maybe even work north from the Shiefer campground which is right on the Salmon river.

Thanks for the help.

mullman03, I know that unit very well and I can say that if you start out of chinook campground (or Warren) you need to put on some miles to the south before it gets elky. Just like every unit in Central ID this unit has wolves and it has changed the elk habits, dont waste your time on the traditional high meadow country, find some nasty canyon and start looking mid slope. I cant put enough emphasis on being physically fit for an elk hunt in this unit.

I was on the north side.

I agree with I.S. that is brutal country to hunt on foot so get in great shape and then work harder. I think I was sweating blood part of the time and the rest I was just to tired to sweat

Thanks Sawyer and TJAY. If was planning on going out of Chinook. I spoke to Judy out of the Mccall office and she said Chinook might be a good starting point. I am still waiting to see if my 64 old dad wants to go and if he does I will have to find a less physically challenging area.

Its going to be a tough hunt. I know the terrain but not to much the area. I hunt 18 and 14 a lot and its either up or down. Generally always seems more up than down. Lol until you shoot something then its alwaye up. As far as a general tag Idk where to suggest but I've always heard good things about northern Idaho but never hunted it. If you hunt 19a and its anything like 18 or 14 good glass will save a lot of wear and tear or the soles of your shoes if you get what I'm saying.

Those will work let the glass do a lot of the walking for ya. I got a swaro he spotter and it was one of the better investments I've ever made

Mullman03

I am 63 and survived the hunt and I would go back so age doesn't have to be a hunt killer. Just know what you are getting into. Good luck.

I see this is a old thread, but for those that are still reading this the wolves have decimated some of the elk herds but there is still lots of excellent hunting. Unit 26 and 27 carry some big animals. Get horses, a jetboat, or a helicopter teamed with hiking boots to get to them. Unit 49 is a excellent hunt with all types of country. Hunted here for32 years and a animal each year proves its capable of happening. You must be able t shoot!. A good lever in 45-70 in the trees is a good choice or a 7mm to 338 mag in the open are best. You must be able to routinely pull off a 650yd or better shot.

I hunted unit 19A and 23 for several years. I did most of my hunting and had most of my success around Burgdorf. I know there are still at least 'some' elk in the area as we saw some in the meadow across from burgdorf hot springs just last week. But I know also that there are wolves in the area too....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.