Idaho elk Hunting.

Screech, I too have been hunting the last several years in unit 14, and have had good success, but this year we decided to put in on unit 18 and drew! :D would you be willing to point me in a good direction for that unit? I have been talking to as many people as possible as to where to start looking. we plan to make a couple scouting trips up there later this summer to get a good look around. any tips would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

I'm going to try reviving this thread because I don't want to start a new thread on a topic that's already been started-Elk hunting in Idaho! I'm a resident of SD but I'm planning on Elk hunting in ID next year (2014) with my father in law. I was reading this thread to find an answer to my question: what are currently the better units for a quality elk hunt? We don't have a budget for a guided hunt, so we'd be relying on our own research, other's inputs, and our feet. We're up for any challenge and in good physical condition, so we don't really mind the brutal country. I'm reading a lot about how the wolves have changed the habits/populations of the elk, so what kind of strategy should we be looking at now and where are the elk moving to? Are there areas with less of a wolf population that the elk have migrated to or are still flourishing? What about any "sleeper" units that are better than others that most don't know about? This would be my first elk hunt and my goal is to start saving my money now so I can have a solid week or 2 to enjoy the outdoors and hopefully bag an animal. My father in law has met some people who have invited him to go hunting this year, so that may provide some info, but i'm also going to look to you experts here to see what you have to say. I appreciate any help you can give! And no, I don't expect you to tell your greatest hunting secrets (like that always perfect hunting spot), just some solid, truthful information that could net us some good results. Thanks! :)

here is the bull that I shot this year. the country was a bit rough, and we had to work pretty hard at filling our tags, but it was a fun hunt.

1377558_10202363165390352_149670696_n.jpg

That wolf was taken in 24, on an old logging road. She was a small female, 40-50LBS all by herself.

image 57.jpg

Not the best photo, but I got there well after she was shot.

Nice!! where at in unit 24 did he shoot it? we hunted them near Donnely a couple winters ago. got close to one with the snowmobile, but never actually saw it... it ran strait up the hill off the road when we got close...

That sure does look like a coyote, colors, size, everything. Need to see the face/head. In Idaho you are required to check it in with Fish and Game and they take a tooth for aging etc.

I see this thread is served years old. To keep from starting a new thread I'll just jump start this one. I'm not new to Elk hunting but new to hunting in Idaho. I'm coming from Oklahoma to hunt so scouting will be a problem. I'm proficient in long range shooting with magnum rifles although the 308 is my favorite. I'm looking for some good areas to hunt. Any suggestions is welcomed.
Rhino

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.