Convert 7mm RUM to??

I would just rebarrel it with a 7mmRemMag barrel with a 1-8 twist if you want to use high BC bullets and shoot long range. They carry more knock-down power for hunting also. If recoil is an issue then I would have a Terminator T-3 or T-4 muzzle brake installed. If you can't find 7mmRemMag bullets for sale you probably won't find anything else, because the 7mmRemMag is one of the most popular calibers carried by stores that sell ammo. If barrel wear is an issue, and it shouldn't be unless you are reloading light bullets at excessive high speeds, you might purchase the new Bartlein barrel made with harder steel.
After building rifles of many calibers to hunt large game with from 6.5, .270,7mmRemMag, 300RUM , .30-338 and. 338 Edge, I have gone full circle back to a 7mmRemMag as my rifle of choice.

Last edited:
I'll throw out a completely different angle. Sell it and use the money toward something like a Tikka CTR in 6.5 creed. Shooting a 7 rum isn't fun, you pretty much have to reload for it, brass isn't easy to find and you probably won't ever shoot enough to get proficient with these hang ups.
Throw a trigger spring in a CTR, put a good scope on it and start learning. Factory Ammo was easy to find but it's a little tough right now but it's still out there.
Shooting a 7 rum isnt fun 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I think its fun!👍👍👍

Hello, I am new to this. I have a Remington model 700 in 7mm RUM I took in on a trade. As I've seen the ammo is hard to come by, and barrel life is short. I want to convert it to something that's just all around more convenient. And in simple English as if you were explaining to someone who had no clue. I'm wondering what I would need to change, i.e. barrel, bolt, etc. as I've said I'm new to this and wanting to get into long range shooting. Just clueless here
I understand you wanting to convert and as you took it on trade you don't know how many rounds are down the tube so. Here are the steps to convert and do it right so as you progress you can just replace barrels, upgrade the trigger now or later and even upgrade the stock or switch to a chassis. The Rem 700 is a great base receiver to build from.
1: find a reputable gunsmith for your area
2: get a quote on a bolt and receiver truing
3: select a barrel in the caliber you want to shoot. You can order barrels on line distributors like ALTUS shooting supply, Mile High shooting, Bugholes southern precision etc and get them in a few days! I prefer this method and usually acquire them faster and less expensive then through my gunsmith.
It can be any caliber you wish you don't have to stay with 7 mm and you have a long action magnum bolt face so you will select the chambering for the case cartridge based off that.
For example, if you select a 30 caliber barrel blank you could pick the 300 PRC or 300 Winchester chamber. Switching to a non magnum would require a new bolt as your bolt face is opened to a larger diameter. Smaller bolt faces can be opened up to magnum size but material can't be added back to go the other way.
4-"prefit" barrels or "remage" barrels are barrels already chambered for a specific cartridge case. They might be an option after a gunsmith trues your bolt and receiver. That said, with a factory receiver I would probably have my smith chamber each barrel with your receiver. You can buy a barrel vise for under 100 and a rem 700 action wrench for less than 50 and if you want more than one barrel chambered, let's say rem 7 magnum and 300 win you could simply swap barrels with a common torque wrench, rezero and away ya go..

Have fun with the process and enjoy shooting your new gun!!

Hello, I am new to this. I have a Remington model 700 in 7mm RUM I took in on a trade. As I've seen the ammo is hard to come by, and barrel life is short. I want to convert it to something that's just all around more convenient. And in simple English as if you were explaining to someone who had no clue. I'm wondering what I would need to change, i.e. barrel, bolt, etc. as I've said I'm new to this and wanting to get into long range shooting. Just clueless here
I see some very good answers here, and would chime in and say, I have a 7mm RUM, 7mm STW, and a 7mmWSM. All basically the Elk hunting rifles for those in my family that want to hunt. I have my RUM set up with a decent brake,and a good stock as I do with the other two 7s. My ladies all shoot all three of these guns with 168 grain Barns bullets. Now the fact is they like the short mag much better,as it is quite a bit lighter for carrying, but they have all gotten the job done on elk, and all want to go again, and my grand daughter is laying claim on her rifle. The RUM has the Sendaro barrel so quite a bit heavier rifle than the WSM. I would put the RUM on a bipod for themto shoot.

My favorite is the T-3 or T-4 Terminator Brake's . You do need ear protection but they tame the Push Down alot !

Rum Man
I have a T-3 and it's great, but I also purchased two 5 port lil beast brakes from muzzle brakes and more and they work as well as the T-3 for less than half the money and Nate can taper the brake to match your muzzle diameter too, saving time and money.
Since you are starting with a RUM action, the rails are opened up wider than a non rum magnum so you really need to stay with a cartridge that is similar in dimensions to the rum. You would need to ask a good gunsmith about what cartridges would work, but if you got away from the rum style casing you might have feeding problems. When I took an old 338 win mag model 700 and rebarreled it to a 300 rum, the action rails had to be opened up for the rum casings to feed properly. In your case I would shoot the 7 rum with 180 -195 Bergers and see how it shoots.

Last edited:
Since you are starting with a RUM action, the rails are opened up wider than a non rum magnum so you really need to stay with a cartridge that is similar in dimensions to the rum. You would need to ask a good gunsmith about what cartridges would work, but if you got away from the rum style casing you might have feeding problems.
After about 20 years, the barrel on my Remington 700 LSS in 300 RUM is shot out. I have decided to get a new barrel chambered for a cartridge that takes a little less powder/has a little less recoil. D. Camilleri points out the biggest issue I have found. It looks like I am going to have to go with something based on the RUM or the Nosler line. I have read that even the 300 PRC is likely to have feeding problems with an Ultra Mag action unless you use a detachable magazine. I am going with a 30 Nosler and a hinged floorplate.

Lots of information, mind is exploding. Lol so I do like the capabilities of the 7mm RUM. and shooting it is no problem, I was in the infantry, I love the big booms. I was just getting at ammo being EXPENSIVE! And the barrel life thing was just what I read everywhere. Do you really save money on ammo reloading yourself? Also, ok say I'm keeping it. It's pretty stock (I think) no muzzle brake. What are some upgrade options.

Shoot that 7mm RUM until you can't shoot it anymore. I have had a 7mm RUM for about 6 years. Every deer I shot with it never took another step. I like 180 grain Barnes in HSM factory ammo. I reload for it also, but can't beat the accuracy of that HSM ammo.
Welcome aboard!

We need a picture of this Bad Boy !!
All.of us will agree if it has a stock trigger ..that must be replaced first . Depending on the barrel size we can give you a few ideas of a great brake to get installed .
As far as reloading goes you will be able to fine tune your load to perfection . It's a must if your pushing the rifle any long distance .
I was very lucky on one rifle with factory ammo. 300 Rum Stainless Sendero and it just loved factory 210 Nosler ablr.
I reload for my rifles now .

Rum Man

Look into the 280 Ackley improved it's a long action that you could just change out the barrel and you would have a stud caliber, I love mine!!

They OP is just getting into long range shooting he does not reload so that means $3.00 a round for factory hunting ammo not long distance target shooting ammo. And with whats going on now $5.00 a round would not surprise me, it is just not practical I would trade it for a more target friendly factory supported caliber and save yourself a lot of expence and frustration. Hey no one loves RUMS more than me I have 13 different calibers of RUMS, but looking at the situation you have to be realistic as painful as reality is. He should be able to set himself up pretty good with trade in value, with what he has and get to where he needs to be trading it would get him more bang for the buck than selling it.

Dean

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.