What should I convert this too...

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Taos, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Taos

Taos Well-Known Member

25-06 would be fine I think. I am having some great results with a 6x284 at the moment. Do whatever strikes your fancy and have some fun!!

2. kac1345

kac1345 Well-Known Member

If your considering the 270 AI then why not go with the 25-06 AI I used to have one (Before I had a safe..it was stolen) [​IMG] anyways great cart shoots flat! and still has enough thump for bigger critters

Long Range Demon TacKac Out [​IMG]

3. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Well-Known Member

You could go to a 6.5-06 or do something a little different and go to a 6.5 Gibbs.

4. Matt_G

Matt_G Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    Haven't been in here for a long time. I was just getting ready to start down the LR path when my employment situation took a dump. I have finally landed a good perm job (vs. contracting) so I can start shooting again! [​IMG]

Bear in mind I am a newbie to LRH. [​IMG]
    Anyways here's my question:
    I have a Remington Model 700 ADL here in .270 Winchester. This gun was bought for me by my Dad 30 years ago. I don't know if he bought it new or not so I don't know how old it truely is.
    The barrel is just about shot out on this thing. I figure this action would be a great platform for a project. I would like to have a gun capable of shooting long range targets and varmints (pdogs) at 500 yards+. I am thinking of having this action trued up and rebarreled in 25-06. I have also flirted with the idea of a .270 AI.
    What do you guys think?
    Any caliber and barrel manufacturer suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[ 11-14-2004: Message edited by: Matt_G ]

[ 11-14-2004: Message edited by: Matt_G ]

5. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

Keep in mind that you dont have to stay with the standard boltface. You can have it opened up to a magnum and chamber it in anything you want. I tend to lean toward the ultra mag class cartridges. I also have a heavy 30-06, 7STW, and 260 that are very good performers. There is just not enough time to have them all, my favorite its the 338 EDGE.

6. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

280 ackley -- an easy wildcat [​IMG]