Convert 7mm RUM to??

All ammunition is hard to find. I shot a 7 RUM when it first came out and I didn't think it was that bad. I shoot a 7mmRM and I really couldn't tell much difference in the two recoil wise. Maybe wait till they come out with a 7 PRC or just go with a 300 PRC ?

Hello, I am new to this. I have a Remington model 700 in 7mm RUM I took in on a trade. As I've seen the ammo is hard to come by, and barrel life is short. I want to convert it to something that's just all around more convenient. And in simple English as if you were explaining to someone who had no clue. I'm wondering what I would need to change, i.e. barrel, bolt, etc. as I've said I'm new to this and wanting to get into long range shooting. Just clueless here
By the time you start switching to another chambering or caliber to where you are satisfied and "at peace" about your choice, may be an elusive chase. I started experimenting with different combinations of cartridges and bore size. After buying a lathe and years of gathering tooling, it became easier to try this and that and no need to wait on a gunsmith who is backed up a year or more. My conclusion is usually the bigger the cartridge the more energy is created. When combined with smaller diameter bullets, an "overbore" situation occurs. The bigger case in relation to smaller bore has to be backed down to expel the charge because the neck (hole) is smaller, and usually more finicky to find an accurate load. One example is a 308. I have one in a 40x and almost any combination of bullet and powder gives great accuracy. I also have a 30-378, which is overbore, and it is very picky on what combination used to group well. Yes, more velocity, but more than double the powder does not produce double the velocity as there is diminishing returns. The 7 ultra mag is definitely overbore and finicky but even though is more fun and exciting than a small capacity efficient cartridge. Keep what you got. Probably easier to buy another rifle rather than changing the one you have. That seems to be my conclusion after making a great big circle back to where I started.

Hello, I am new to this. I have a Remington model 700 in 7mm RUM I took in on a trade. As I've seen the ammo is hard to come by, and barrel life is short. I want to convert it to something that's just all around more convenient. And in simple English as if you were explaining to someone who had no clue. I'm wondering what I would need to change, i.e. barrel, bolt, etc. as I've said I'm new to this and wanting to get into long range shooting. Just clueless here
Stainless 300 WSM barrel https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1477500
300 WSM ammo https://ammoseek.com/ammo/300wsm
----------------------
7mm STW barrel https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1921180
7mm STW ammo https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7mm-stw
----------------------

other barrels (some new, some used) 7mm SAUM, etc. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/category/barrels/rifle-barrels/remington/barrels-rem-700

7mm SAUM brass (Short Action Ultra Magnum) Uses same RUM bolt face :D and shell holder.
And, if you convert it to this 7mm SAUM -- A lot of guys would want it! $$$
Yes, they like the short-action cartridge in a longer action so the bullet can be seated out longer in the magazine - making more room for powder and reducing pressure. - But the barrel throat may have to be cut longer - maybe not. Simple.

7mm SAUM Load Data
---------------------

AMMOSEEK.COM
then enter caliber

That's a 700 RUM action you have. It is wider internally than regular Long-Action Magnum actions - for feeding the fat cartridges up n out of the magazine. (Barrel Swap?) Just find a gunsmith that has the Go, No-Go, and Field Gauges for headspace. - You might have to get into reloading ammo. - If not, stick to guns with ammo available.

7mm RUM brass (THE CHEAPEST WAY ALL-AROUND) "To reload, or, not to reload, that is the question."

7mm RUM dies

7mm RUM Load Data

IF you find that you love or like your 7mm RUM -- you can buy an extra barrel for when it burns out.
I've seen many stock 700s shoot under an inch at 100-yards.

Gauges

Do It Yourself (I did)
Vise https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006552312
Wrench https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006553240?pid=710783

VIDEO

Last edited:
I assume you don't reload since you are concerned about finding factory ammo. Depends on how much $ you want to spend, how accurate you want it to be and how far you will shoot. You could just sell it and buy another factory gun in something like a 7 rem mag or 300 win mag that will get the job done, nothing fancy, Or, you could have a gunsmith rebarrel what you have, and at that point you probably want to have the action trued, upgrade the trigger, upgrade the stock, etc, next thing you know you've spent $2500 on it but you have a gun thats customized how you like it, and it will be better quality than your ordinary Rem 700 off the shelf.

Hi, I will do my best to answer your question which in its entirety has not really been addressed. I am not a gunsmith nor an expert on much of anything and have only a fraction of the experience of other people on this forum, but I actually read what was asked so I will take a stab at answering.

You rifle has a bolt face diameter of .540, long action and is 7mm cal, if you do not wish to rebarrell/change bolts you could explore the possibility of having your barrel rechambered to either a 7mm mag, 7stw or 7mm Weatherby mag. I am not sure there is enough left on the barrel to rechamber since its already a 7mm ultra but a competent gunsmith should be able to answer that.

If you wish to change calibers altogether, you will have to rebarrel. If you stay with other long action calibers using a .540 bolt face, you can retain use of the factory bolt. If you choose a caliber with a different bolt face diameter, then you will have to change bolts as well, or at least the bolt head if yours is removable. JE Custom, a well respected gunsmith on this forum has a post called "bolt face diameters". It is a list of bolt face diameters and the calibers commonly associated with them and may be a good reference for you. keeping in mind you need to stay with a long action caliber.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Change it to 7mm RUM. If your buying ammo and not loading you are never going to get 100% out of anything anyway. Stick with RUM and buy loading equipment

I love my 300 RUM. It a factory SPS with a LR Customs brake. It's more shootable than my '06. I reload, and unfortunately, I've been a little hard on the barrel playing with loads. Even though the throat looks nasty, it still shoots .5 moa. That's just fine for hunting!

7RUM is a stellar hunting round to reach out there a bit and hunting most everything in North America at distance.
I'm 180gr Bergers on Retumbo. Reality is only benchrest guys have concerns about shooting out a barrel. It'll go for decades

Hi, I will do my best to answer your question which in its entirety has not really been addressed. I am not a gunsmith nor an expert on much of anything and have only a fraction of the experience of other people on this forum, but I actually read what was asked so I will take a stab at answering.

You rifle has a bolt face diameter of .540, long action and is 7mm cal, if you do not wish to rebarrell/change bolts you could explore the possibility of having your barrel rechambered to either a 7mm mag, 7stw or 7mm Weatherby mag. I am not sure there is enough left on the barrel to rechamber since its already a 7mm ultra but a competent gunsmith should be able to answer that.

If you wish to change calibers altogether, you will have to rebarrel. If you stay with other long action calibers using a .540 bolt face, you can retain use of the factory bolt. If you choose a caliber with a different bolt face diameter, then you will have to change bolts as well, or at least the bolt head if yours is removable. JE Custom, a well respected gunsmith on this forum has a post called "bolt face diameters". It is a list of bolt face diameters and the calibers commonly associated with them and may be a good reference for you. keeping in mind you need to stay with a long action caliber.

I hope this helps you with your decision.
Agree with everything but staying with long action calibers. About any short action round will run in a long action. I did a 6.5prc in a long action not long ago to shoot cnc turned bullets. No magazine length issues. No expensive bottom metal/magazines. No solid copper turned bullet issues. No long ELD issues. Lots of 22/250 98 Mausers.
Still think he stays with 7um. Pretty hard to beat.

OP, you are getting too much info. A lot good and some not accurate. Do you have any friends that are really into rifles near you or a smith you trust? If so, take their advice. You cant rechamber the barrel. Why would you use a rum/nosler action setup for a normal magnum? Good luck

Agree with everything but staying with long action calibers. About any short action round will run in a long action. I did a 6.5prc in a long action not long ago to shoot cnc turned bullets. No magazine length issues. No expensive bottom metal/magazines. No solid copper turned bullet issues. No long ELD issues. Lots of 22/250 98 Mausers.
Still think he stays with 7um. Pretty hard to beat.
Good point, I thought about that after I replied to the OP's question. I wasn't 100% sure if you could run a SA round in a long action, but it makes sense that it would work.

Collar bone break!🤣
Still remember first time I shot my 338UM Sendero. Rem sent it to us for a Nuffy hunt. Shot it once. Had rotator surgery week or two later. Bought the gun. Sent it to Dave Tooley for a Muzzle break, teflon and jewel. Shot two groups. Both sub 1/2". Been in safe since 04. Tefloned. Break. Brand new. Every time I think about taking Stupid for a test drive I take it out and look at it. Usually cures me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.