Convert Tikka T3 270 win to 6mm Creedmoor

rickjoty

I purchased a Tikka Lite in 270 Winchester a couple years ago. Loved the caliber but not so sure I liked the difficulty in loading a single cartridge. So, I bought a Sako A7 in 270 Win and figured I'd sell the Tikka. Well I hate selling guns so now that I'm shopping for a 6mm Creedmoor I don't need, I figure maybe I'll convert the Tikka to 6mm. Soooo, I spoke with Bartein Barrels about conversion and ended it with some questions:
What twist rate: I'm thinking 7.5. I have 223 and 270 so I'd like to shoot 80 - 95 grain bullets. My Sako does not like those weights. It shoots 110 grain tight.
What barrel length: I was thinking 24" - 26" so maybe make it 25"
What contour: I don't really know much about that. It is a light recoil round so I'd like a lighter weight rifle.
Special Chamber? The Barnes 95 LRX is listed at 2.275" COAL

Will I need to change or modify the bolt?

Suggestions are requested

For a 6mm pill, a 1:8 twist will handle everything from 80-105, the 1:7.5 and 1:7 are for the 110-115 grainers.
I currently have a 6mm Brux barrel for sale, it's a 1:8 twist, medium sporter to be finished at 25"' straight flutes. I have it listed with pics on this site.

Why chamber a long action in a short, short action cartridge? I think it will probably work, but it may give feeding problems with a round that short. I would go 25-06. It will feed as the 270 does, and you can shoot the lightning bolt 85 Ballistic Tip in it. It just seems to be a better fit to me.

Why chamber a long action in a short, short action cartridge? I think it will probably work, but it may give feeding problems with a round that short. I would go 25-06. It will feed as the 270 does, and you can shoot the lightning bolt 85 Ballistic Tip in it. It just seems to be a better fit to me.
I guess if I knew that there would be feeding problems with a shorter round I'd just go to 243 Winchester, right?

For a 6mm pill, a 1:8 twist will handle everything from 80-105, the 1:7.5 and 1:7 are for the 110-115 grainers.
I currently have a 6mm Brux barrel for sale, it's a 1:8 twist, medium sporter to be finished at 25"' straight flutes. I have it listed with pics on this site.
I'm in California so I can only shoot critters with copper. Barnes has the 95 grain LSX and running the twist rate calculator it appears that 7.5 might be best.

I purchased a Tikka Lite in 270 Winchester a couple years ago. Loved the caliber but not so sure I liked the difficulty in loading a single cartridge. So, I bought a Sako A7 in 270 Win and figured I'd sell the Tikka. Well I hate selling guns so now that I'm shopping for a 6mm Creedmoor I don't need, I figure maybe I'll convert the Tikka to 6mm. Soooo, I spoke with Bartein Barrels about conversion and ended it with some questions:
What twist rate: I'm thinking 7.5. I have 223 and 270 so I'd like to shoot 80 - 95 grain bullets. My Sako does not like those weights. It shoots 110 grain tight.
What barrel length: I was thinking 24" - 26" so maybe make it 25"
What contour: I don't really know much about that. It is a light recoil round so I'd like a lighter weight rifle.
Special Chamber? The Barnes 95 LRX is listed at 2.275" COAL

Will I need to change or modify the bolt?

Suggestions are requested
This is the good thing about the tikka. You can buy the medium magazine that comes with the Creedmoor, (2.95 coal) and different size bolt stops from mountain tactical so you can switch back and forth from long to short action with no feeding problems. For 6 creed 24" is longest I would go, and you could have the barrel maker dupe the t3 lite contour. I would also go 7.5 twist. It will shoot 90-115 just fine.

im currently in the process of building a 6CM off of my Tikka Action. the shop im at have built some awesome rifles off of the Tikka action. id recommend a 24" barrel also im going with a 8 twist and im going to run the 112 gr matchburner from Barnes. cant wait to get this rifle put together and see what she can do.
Let me know how it goes. I'd love to see pictures also.

I built a 6mm AI and really am impressed. I'm running 105's at 3250 and could get more but it shoots really well, better than I can shoot. you have to fireform brass but the 6mm Rem shoots 3/4 MOA while fireforming. I am running a LA 700 and can load as long as I need and still fit in the mag box. It's not for everyone, but everyone doesn't have one either. The CM's are no doubt popular, that's why I didn't want one...

270 is a long action not a short action 243 win is a short action cartridge I'd take advantage of the long action seems like a waste to me to chamber a short action cartridge in a long action rifle. I'm not saying it can't be done just seems like a waste to me.

ALL of, the T3 and T3X, Tikka's, are LONG actions, some just have, short Bolt "STOP'S",.. depending on Cartridge used. Extra 5 Round Mags are avail at Midway for $45.00 or so in, .243 to .308 Win size,.. w/ a rim dia. of, .473 and length of Cart.,.. determine Mag size. The 87 V Max in a .243 Win. cart. at a COAL of, 2.720" fit, in my 5 rounder,.. find a COAL for the Cart/ Bullets YOU desire, to see if THEY fit !
The 1-9 Twist would probably be best if, shooting up to a 95 grain ALL Copper bullet,.. Call Barnes, to be SURE, tho !
I like the #3 ( 24" finished length) and #4 ( 26" fin length) Brux SS, Bbl's, depending on weight of Gun desired. The 6 Creed or, .243 Win are GREAT choices for Deer / Varmints ! Good Luck

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.