Convert 7mm RUM to??

You would have rebarrel to another RUM cartridge. The feed rails are wider than belted magnum actions. I have both a .300 and .338 RUM. I also have an extra .300 RUM barrel. I have put take off barrels that I bought on factory 700 actions they head spaced perfectly. Only minor problem was the inscription on the barrel wasn't in the correct position. If you don't want to sell your rifle, I will trade you my .300 barrel for your 7mm barrel. I always wanted to try one, but I'm a 7mm STW so I really didn't need one.

Brando 32, I see you are in Michigan, this means your hunting might be a bit close in for that long range beast. that is if you do not load it down.
my suggestion is multi-pronged.
shoot it for a while but down load it. work up to long range hunting speeds and weights. put a brake on it. you will enjoy it if the stock fits you. you will know immediately if the stock is too short. if too short have a gunsmith put a thicker butt pad and spacers on it.
now comes the big questions: what are your goals? Elk out west? Moose up north? Deer out west? deer in the brushlands? deer in the midwest? If you want an all around gun I might just keep that 7MM RUM and put a fast twist barrel on it so you can shoot the heavy slugs. then tailor rounds for where you hunt. high brush, load down a bit. run high energy heavy slugs for western hunts where you have long shots. I will give the devil his due, you have a case/round you can tailor rounds to where you hunt. after that; you have to make that beast comfortable to shoot, a muzzle brake, a proper length stock, good glass, a proper twist for the heaviest slugs you will shoot, set the level of potency for the game and the lengths of the shot you believe you will be taking. you have a versatile case/round.. use it to your advantage.

I have a 300 RUM I took in on trade as well. I already have a really good 300 Win Mag, actually two of them that shoot long distances well enough to not need the RUM. I am selling it to finance my 270-264 Win Mag build.

I hope this helped you.
What you asking on the 300RUM and does it have a brake on it? And what brand is it?

We need a picture of this Bad Boy !!
All.of us will agree if it has a stock trigger ..that must be replaced first . Depending on the barrel size we can give you a few ideas of a great brake to get installed .
As far as reloading goes you will be able to fine tune your load to perfection . It's a must if your pushing the rifle any long distance .
I was very lucky on one rifle with factory ammo. 300 Rum Stainless Sendero and it just loved factory 210 Nosler ablr.
I reload for my rifles now .

Rum Man
Like I said, don't know much about it, if it's stock or what, the trigger squeeze is SUPER light which is nice. But yea that's all I know, other than that scope is just a cheap'o that came with it.

Attachments

• B0AA7E55-F16E-4F07-B39A-7C78DDA150C7.jpeg
    B0AA7E55-F16E-4F07-B39A-7C78DDA150C7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 110
  • 3AD437BF-28C9-44D7-BDFA-E76235D0CE21.jpeg
    3AD437BF-28C9-44D7-BDFA-E76235D0CE21.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
  • 16023FD5-2653-435F-9D2A-CE7B3AC82042.jpeg
    16023FD5-2653-435F-9D2A-CE7B3AC82042.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
On the same lines as the OP, any feeding issues with standard magnums (300WM, 7RM) in a RUM action.

Funny thing, I stumbled onto a SS RUM cheap so I gifted myself for Xmas!

The RUM is a magnum bolt face, just change that and your good to go.
Hard to simply change a bolt face from 308- (.472") to UM (.550"). Or reverse. Can be done but not a DIY thing. I bore and solder in a ring. Up bore to accept new round and add Sako extractor. If you're going that far might as well just buy an oversized bolt with Mag face and M16 or Sako extractor and have two bolts. If you're going that far might as well blueprint action and bolt. If your going that far might as well rebarrel it with match barrel and chamber. No easy ways out. Kinda like eating potato chips. One leads to two.

Last edited:
Like I said, don't know much about it, if it's stock or what, the trigger squeeze is SUPER light which is nice. But yea that's all I know, other than that scope is just a cheap'o that came with it.
The scope and rings must go.UMs are hard on glass/mounts. I use Nightforce HD bases on all my Mags. US/NF or any tier one steel rings.

nice gun to start with.

Hello, I am new to this. I have a Remington model 700 in 7mm RUM I took in on a trade. As I've seen the ammo is hard to come by, and barrel life is short. I want to convert it to something that's just all around more convenient. And in simple English as if you were explaining to someone who had no clue. I'm wondering what I would need to change, i.e. barrel, bolt, etc. as I've said I'm new to this and wanting to get into long range shooting. Just clueless here
Brass is everywhere for the 7 Rum. Just neck down the 300 Rum. If you are worried about barrel life then a RUM in any form is the wrong way to go. Good luck with your build though. It's fun.

Almost looks as if that is a LAZZ stock made by mcmillan not cheap.. or maybe a custom build from MPI or the likes definitely not factory .....like i said before .. you wont find a better BIG 7 on the planet unless you go to a lapua Improved version .. put a wyatts CFE9 in it ...good brake and shoot the 195 in it with some n570 or rl33 .. im pretty sure you'll be blown away with just how much horse power that case hase!! people forget about just how big those rum cases are until they wildcat a round and find out that the rum already has that capacity on tap in factory form!

Hello, I am new to this. I have a Remington model 700 in 7mm RUM I took in on a trade. As I've seen the ammo is hard to come by, and barrel life is short. I want to convert it to something that's just all around more convenient. And in simple English as if you were explaining to someone who had no clue. I'm wondering what I would need to change, i.e. barrel, bolt, etc. as I've said I'm new to this and wanting to get into long range shooting. Just clueless here
After reading all of the comments made from those who think what they shoot should be your solution, I started thinking about something. (I will warn everyone that this could be dangerous as I have senior moments). Have you shot this rifle to see how it groups or just making an assumption? Before I spent one cent on a rebuild, I would shoot it to see if it spits bullets or throws them. You may find it is a good shooter!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.