Considering a Tikka

I have 3 of them now and Zero complaints. Have a T3X Lite in 243, 270, and 7RM all topped with Leupold VX-5's and they shoot lights out.

This is my wife shooting her 243 Tikka at the range. She had never shot a rifle prior to this. Her group of 3 there is right out of the box with factory Winchester.

That larger hole in the target? That was from someone in the next stall over. 🧐 We did not stay at the range very long that day.

Attachments

• IMG_8332.jpeg
    IMG_8332.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I have a couple Tikka that I swap barrels on routinely for range work for load data. In 7 rem mag, the Tikka barrel is consistently slow compared to an older rem 700. But it shoots just fine. Be aware they run a 9.5 twist, instead of the standard 9.25 remington used and now days browning is running an 8 in some models. That twist will top you out at some of the 175s. I've had a couple customer Tikka 7 rems come through for custom work and they all shot about an inch consistently. Some groups were half inch, some were 1.25. Pretty solid performers. Triggers are pretty easy to drop to a little over a pound and they are pretty crisp. Smooth actions. I like them.

I have a .308, .243, .300 win mag. The mag did not shoot like the others. It wasn't bad, but I felt like the light barrel was just not up to the caliber. It wasn't bad. Maybe 1.5 MOA. Had I kept it, I would have spent money on it, and it was not filling much of a gap, so I got rid of it. The other two drive tacks.

Attachments

• B7CB61F4-32E8-43AA-8CFC-87ECE76B347C.jpeg
    B7CB61F4-32E8-43AA-8CFC-87ECE76B347C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • 8DA3FE46-1FFA-4DEA-ADA1-0CC1792922BD.jpeg
    8DA3FE46-1FFA-4DEA-ADA1-0CC1792922BD.jpeg
    524 KB · Views: 42
6.5x55, 270WSM and 7RM and various take off barrels and stocks from eBay here. All three required no load development to shoot MOA or better. Pick a load, put it together and go shoot. Barnes, Berger's, Sierras or Hornadys it doesn't matter. Like my tikkas so much I had to pick up a Sako S20
To try.

I really enjoy my tikkas. I really don't have many complaints. Bix and Andy makes awesome triggers manners stocks in a few options. Chassis options. Things I don't care for. More inlets for manners stocks. The bead last/stainless finish is less than stellar. Now none of mine are factory guns all have aftermarket barrels. The plastic shroud on the back of the bolt. Cheap plastic bottom metal. My guns get shot more often than not. Weekly put to at least 1275 if not 1710 yards. Other than that no complaints. They aren't an impact 737 or Kelbly. Or other custom actions but they are nice units my first tikka I used for a semi custom was finished a year ago and I have just shy of 700 rounds down the barrel.
All the unsavoury plastic bits are upgradable to aluminum, stainless, or even titanium as time/money are available. And they are easy enough to swap out.

love them, I built a comp/field match rifle off one and liked it so much I sold my custom 700 and built another tikka for hunting.

Sold a ton of stuff and tikkas stayed/multiplied

Pros for me:

1. Extremely resistant to binding.. almost impossible, even when pushing sideways on the handle
  2. Good factory triggers that are drop safe and reliable in harsh conditions
  3. Recoil lug in action for scope mounts/rails
  4. One action size means easy cartridge swaps when ever you want
  5. Can order shouldered prefits/headspace from factory is usually tight enough to use any tikka shouldered barrel (super cheap extra 7mag barrels around)
  6. Good reliable and affordable magazine system
  7. 70* bolt throw doesn't have you worried about ocular bells hitting handles or knuckles
All of this^

I have a couple Tikka that I swap barrels on routinely for range work for load data. In 7 rem mag, the Tikka barrel is consistently slow compared to an older rem 700. But it shoots just fine. Be aware they run a 9.5 twist, instead of the standard 9.25 remington used and now days browning is running an 8 in some models. That twist will top you out at some of the 175s. I've had a couple customer Tikka 7 rems come through for custom work and they all shot about an inch consistently. Some groups were half inch, some were 1.25. Pretty solid performers. Triggers are pretty easy to drop to a little over a pound and they are pretty crisp. Smooth actions. I like them.
I might add, pretty easy to upgrade the barrel if you feel its necessary.

I've got 3 Tikkas and am impressed with them. 243,308 & ,300 WM. For out of the box factory rifle they all shoot well. Did blow out the ejector spring in my 243. Factory was no help. I got the ejector spring kit from Lumina arms I think. If there is a fault it would be the bolt.

Recent Posts