A 7mm worth considering.

B23

Anyone considering a 7mm build here is another to consider, the 7mm Blaser Magnum.

I wanted something that was load and go with no case forming of any kind and had good quality brass that was available, would work well in the M700 LA I would be using, and didn't want anything longer than a 24-26 in. tube max not including brake. Briefly considered a 7 WSM or 7 Rem Mag but available brass for the WSM isn't very good, I'm no particular fan of belted cases and staying with a 24-26 in. tube I didn't really see the 28 Nosler as a very good option. Looking through the list of different .28 cal cartridges in my QL program I stumble upon the 7mm Blaser Magnum. Did a quick Google search and found brass was easily available and was made by Norma. Contacted my "go to" gunsmith, Shawn Carlock w/Defensive Edge and with his blessing proceeded forward. That was in Aug. Shawn called last week and said it was done and ready to pick up. You gotta love the short build times from the boys at Defensive Edge.

7mm Blaser Magnum +P Build Specs:
Rem 700 Long Action
Hart #4 Fluted 1-8tw Finished at 26
Jewel Trigger
Defensive Edge Muzzle Brake
Defensive Edge +P chambering
NF 5.5-22x50

7mm Blaser Magnum Case Specs:
Case Length 2.35 C.O.A.L 3.265 w/180 Berger touching
Case Head .535 (Standard Magnum Bolt Face)
Case capacity 84.8gr of water

Shawn did a quick load work up using RL26 and 180 Berger HVLD's and got 3050 with no pressure. I believe he ran it up to 3100 and was getting a very faint ejector swipe. With the 3050 load he shot a 5 shot group that measured .3

Attachments

• IMG_0769.PNG
    IMG_0769.PNG
    162.9 KB · Views: 340
Very cool.

I didn't know there was a 7mm Blaser.

I have a design that is very close. Except 70° shoulder instead of 60°. Mine is also 0.020 longer. Not much.

I love the 7MM Rem Mag, but I wish it didn't have a belt.

Then you would like the 7mm Blaser Mag because it's nearly a ballistic twin to the 7 Rem Mag but without being a belted case.

I'd like to see how much it would pick up in case capacity if it were improved and the shoulder was pushed forward a little. The case isn't quite as fat as a WSM but it's quite a bit longer than a WSM case and has a relatively long-ish neck so it could pick up a decent amount.

I designed the Coaster series after the 26-Nosler was announced.

My belief is that the Nosler is too much for 1000 BR and I wanted something more than a WSM. It would work for hunting as well.

Attachments

• 28Coaster.png
    28Coaster.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 517
  • 7mmBlaser.png
    7mmBlaser.png
    16 KB · Views: 579
I think the 7mm Blaser is a spectacular case, I have a customers who has one in for a build that will be going together soon it's a slightly improved version but the case design really impressed me, if I needed a 7 mag performance level case it would be the top of the list without a doubt. The 7 Blaser and the 28 Nosler make me happy :D

Great choice !! I've been pulling together build components for almost 2 years for a 7mm.
I came across the Blaser Magnum & chose that case for the same reasons. I decided to run it as an improved version tho. After talking with "bigngreen", I was impressed with Rhian's enthusiasm to do the build. Now if I can stop changing my mind on build components Rhian can work on it
I'm encouraged by the performance your getting! I'll post up more when mine is finished.

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

Last edited:
I talked to Shawn about maybe doing an "improved" version but wasn't sure if there would be enough gained to make it worth the added cost and extra work.

Do you have any case capacity specs of your "improved" version of the 7mm Blaser Mag?

Also talked to them about doing a 6.5 Blaser Mag as that could be a nice hot rod without going excessively overbore. Would be about the same as a 6.5WSM I suppose.

B23,. I don't have capacity specs on the improved version yet. I was planning on getting an actual capacity after fire forming. When doing my initial planning I figured I'd go with an improved version since I had to get reamer, & dies anyway. Having not ran an improved cartridge yet, I'll try it.

Gain in capacity, straighten the case slightly, minimal length growth, improved shoulder, Gains may be minimal, but gains none the less.
& Yes, I too considered a 6.5 version, as well as the 300 Blaser.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts