Considering 25/06 as a varminter

On the topic if Roo's. Am I correct that they are a varmint specie? Do you guys eat them or try to blow them in half as we would a ground squirrel? I guess I want to know where to hold on one. What are the big game animals down under. We have deer elk moose bears bison antelope and wild sheep/goats/pigs/boar and some predators like cats and coyotes plus some exotics. I'm sure I missed some but what all can a guy get a tag for to hunt there. What are your year round varmint type targets of oportunity.

Hired Gun a roo is not a varmint specie in such. Its a medium game animal. Our big game animals ranges from many deer species (Sambar, Elk etc...)To scrub bulls, water buffalo, Camels and many others. Varmint animals will include rabbits, hares, foxes, (wombats sometimes) and a couple of others.

We dont usually use a taging system as you guys do. Just hook up with some1 on this forum and they can share a private property with you for usually no charge or minimal. And there is no limits on the game taken etc..

If you are guided hunting than that is different as you have trophy fees but do not have to wait for a tag to be issued to go hunting.

Brian,

Well done on keeping the family tradition alive and well!

The .25 calibre came up in conversation with some mates and it does seem unnecessary to have a .270 as well as a 25-06 given they are both based on the same parent case. Then again, this could be a benefit. The WSSM, although ballistically identical to the 25-06, provides enough of a change through cartridge design to warrant one! The Weatherby does impress me but I'm disappointed with the running expenses here in Oz. Loaded ammo is around $A76/box and as you say, cases are about three times as much as 25-06 cases. Bloody ridiculous! I love the Accumark and got to play with one in .300 Win. Beautiful rifle in every way.

For the most part, a fast .22 would suit my purposes except for pigs. I know plenty of people do hunt pigs with a .22 centrefire but I have a healthy respect for them. Hence the .25 calibre. I also believe in being able to confidently take the shot that's presented and not have to wait to compensate for the cartridge. That could lead to trouble and Mr Murphy will inevitably see to that!

Well mate, thank you for your offer on reloading info. I just might take you up on that depending on the cartridge selected. The .270 will be put to use between Xmas and the New Year chasing some Eastern greys and foxes.

A very merry Xmas to you and yours.

Hired Gun,

As Ageo308 mentions, there are a variety of deer species that can be hunted here in Oz as well other 'game' species. Also, there are what we term as 'feral' or varmint species such as rabbits, foxes, goats, pigs and others.

If you are interested in coming Down Under, your best bet would probably be a guided hunt which takes care of a multitude of potential problems. Usually, 'feral' species can also be shot along with your chosen 'game' species. I'm happy to provide you with some contacts here if you wish. They're guides that I've hunted with so at least the opinions and info are first-hand.

Thanks for the info Ageo308 and Longreach. I'm getting older and recently lost my dad to cancer at the young age of 62. He always wanted to do a hunt for bear or moose in Alaska. He also was invited to Zimbabwe to hunt and never did go. Neither did the guy who invited him. He always wanted to have a 300 Weatherby. He never took the hunts nor did he ever get the rifle. Well, I'm not going to my grave without doing these things. I now have two Weatherby's. They both have far exceeded what I expected from them. I may not do the Alaska thing due to my disability (wheelchair user, paralyzed at T-6 from motorcycle racing accident) but I think Africa might be doable. I need to save up for a couple more years but once I set my mind to something I usually get it done. My son will be taking his old Sako 7 Mag on the hunt in his honor. We are looking for a once in a lifetime exotic type hunt. Until then we keep our skills sharp by shooting varmints and hunting as much as we can here. We have deer and elk here. The wheelchair is why I need to be able to take game where I spot them. No stalking closer for me. That's why I have gravitated to the flattest shooting calibers and most accurate rifles I can handle. Even if, the brass is four times more.

Hired Gun,

I admire your guts and determination to get things done. Yes, life is too short to simply let it pass by. I hunted in Zimbabwe almost eight years ago and it certainly lived up to my dreams. It was a plains game hunt and easily the most memorable I've ever had. My dream now is to hunt Africa again with my sons and it's only a matter of time.

Africa is certainly doable for you and both you and your son will have an absolute ball in what I consider to be the best hunting grounds in the world. The time spent together and the memories will be priceless.

You certainly have put my concerns about the cost of running a Weatherby in a new and much needed light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mate, here's wishing you a wonderful Xmas and all the best for the future. You're an inspiration.

LB, I meant to ask this question the previous time that you published your 25/06 AI data.

Out of curiosity, I keep an eye on what most people are using in their 25/06 or AI. I have observed that with the 100 grain bullet, most (including I) use between 57.0 or 58.0 of reloader 22 in their standard 25/06, and 62.0 or 63.0 grains in their 25/06 AI.

I note that in your 25/06 AI, you are using only 57.0 grains of Reloader 22 behind the 100 grain bullet, for a velocity of 3650 fps from a 28.5 inch barrel. So effectively you are using 5 - 6 grains less powder for an equivalent velocity, if you deduct about 80 fps for the extra 4.5 inches of barrel length you are using.

Naturally I am curious as to the reasons, and wondered whether you are using a tighter chamber or have custom neck of .286 - .288 instead of the more conventional .290.

Initially I wondered whether your use of the .270 Win brass might be the reason, but I referred to my data that I kept on those who have used that case, and it mirrors mine using the 25/06 case. Interested to hear what you think might be the reasons. Regards, Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.