Considering a Tikka

Alright give me the Good, Bad, and Ugly. I'm considering a Tikka. Specifically a laminated stainless in 7mm Remington magnum.
I got a lil experience loading for a friend with the exact same gun. However, I have never owned one. I've shot his about 20 times. His is stupid accurate with 162 Eldx over H1000. He wouldn't sale me his, so I'm thinking of one. Anything to be mindful of or just do it?
Great rifles. Never had a Tikka that didn't shoot well with my handloads. The only drawback I can think of is that sometimes the mag length will limit taking full advantage of optimal bullet seating depth. Having said that, I've never owned a Tikka that didn't shoot well!

Ya the length of a tikka action can be limiting also with the price of them currently it's not much more to order something like a ARC Coupe De Grace

I don't find the magazine length to be a problem. It can be solved through the +mags or from a bolt stop swap.

I don't find the magazine length to be a problem. It can be solved through the +mags or from a bolt stop swap.
Depends what cartridge you want to run. The bigger magnums become a problem
I always wanted to take a T3 in 7/08 and turn it into a 284....gun nuts eh

Seems to me that Laker did that once upon a time
I built a tikka into a 284 Win A.I.
180 Bergers at 2850 ish from a 24" barrel are pretty sweet.
I'll definitely consider a 7 PRC next chamber but that wasn't available at the time.

I own 2 tikka t3 lites in 7mm Rem Mag. no complaints. Very accurate. Only thing, is one of em is particular on powder as the velocity is consistaantly much lower than book velocity.....but I rather have the accuracy that it provides.

I had a laminated Tikka 7mm that I couldn't get to shoot an inch with any factory or hand loads. Most groups were abysmal. I took it to my gunsmith, he fiddled with stock re-torqued and took it to the range. Same thing with him.

He spoke to another gunsmith friend who is pretty familiar with Tikka and he offered some advice. The laminated stocks can display problems because they are manufactured in a different process than the general black stocks. The black stocks are machined to exacting tolerances whereas the laminated stocks can have variations. He recommended a full bedding job.

So that really peed me off. I spent a fair amount of money on this already.

So several months went by and I went into Capital Sports (my gunsmith) and he said "Hey you get that Tikka to shoot?"

I said "I sure did! I turned it into a Browning XBolt Hells Canyon!".

Last edited:
Not really a velocity chaser but if it'll shoot like my buddies I'll be happy. I have not chrono his rifle with the load, or taken it past 200 yds. The load is 162 eldx with
68 grain H1000 in Hornady brass with a Fed 215. I'm guessing 2900 ish maybe a lil more. Not a good guesser without seeing drops.
68gr of H1000 is a one hole tack driver with Berger 168s out of my savage, but the speed is not blazing. 28xx fps, single digit SD… I can't recall exactly without looking it up.

I had a laminated Tikka 7mm that I couldn't get to shoot an inch with any factory or hand loads. Most groups were abysmal. I took it to my gunsmith, he fiddled with stock re-torqued and took it to the range. Same thing with him.

He spoke to another gunsmith friend who is pretty familiar with Tikka and he offered some advice. The laminated stocks can display problems because they are manufactured in a different process than the general black stocks. The black stocks are machined to exacting tolerances whereas the laminated stocks can have variations. He recommended a full bedding job.

So that really peed me off. I spent a fair amount of money on this already.

So several months went by and I went into Capital Sports (my gunsmith) and he said "Hey you get that Tikka to shoot?"

I said "I sure did! I turned it into a Browning XBolt Hells Canyon!".
Yeah, when I was in the market, chica and Xbolts were rivals. Takers are generally known to be pretty accurate. But the Xbolt action is better fit & finish IMO So I went for the X bolt now I have two of them and they are both tack drivers.

I'll take a Tikka any day over a CA without hesitation. Absolutely 💯 no question.
I shopped around. And had a Tikka rebarrelled with a C/F wrapped barrel and put it in a Precision Defence industries Carbon Fibre stock.
Shopped around and got some great deals. Assembled this on a new shop soiled Tikka the whole package came together for $3000 Aussie dollars .
A Christensen would have been closer to 5,K at the time.
Not a pretty rifle but shoots exceptionally well and it's my first .280a.i. very impressed.

I have 7 Tikkas and will echo many of the comments here.

Just do it.