Considering 25/06 as a varminter

Ageo308

Hi Guys im new to the site and im from Australia.
Now im building a custom rifle and looking at the caliber in 25/06rem. What do you guys recommend this as a varmint cal? Ill be shooting between 200-500yrds mainly at rabbits, foxes, goats and pigs (small-medium game). The gun will consist of:

*Tactical Laminated stock (richard microfit)
*Rem 700 action if available
*#7 barrel either Lilja, Shilen, Kreiger or Maddco in around a 26" length
* New Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50mm Long Range Target with a Varmint Hunter Reticle.
* And a few other goodies.

This is my first custom gun i will be building.

I look forward to your replies.

Adrian

P.S great site

25/06 is great if you don't intend to do lots of 500 yard work on big pigs . 6.5/06 or 6.5/284 Norma would give you a much better selection of bullets including 140gn pills with high B.C. that should improve long range performance . Lapua and Norma make brass for the 6.5/284 .

Hey Aussie well pigs will most likely be taken out to 100-200yrds max (from where i hunt, NSW & QLD) but foxes, bunnies and other smaller game i will take much farther as when i hunt in open mountain country i have a large range to work with.i.e varmint

the 6.5/284 sounds nice and i will look into it.

Ageo308,

Sounds like a nice rig. If your going to be hunting pigs at those relatively close ranges, a 25-06 will serve you very well with a quality bullet such as the new 110 gr Accubond from Nosler.

Obviously you are not looking to save pelts on the foxes as the 25-06 will do a number on them.

I don't know how big of a deal it is to order bullets in from Canada for you or from the USA but Wildcat Bullets is building a few specialty bullets for my 257 Allen Mag that you may be interested in.

The light bullet is a bonded COre 130 gr FBHP with a B.C. of .550 and a S.D. .281.

Next is a 145 gr FBSP built on a heavy tapered jacket. This bullet has a B.C. of .530 and a S.D. of .313.

There is also a 145 gr ULD Rebated Boattail bullet which should show up here this week that has a B.C. of .738!!!

You would certainly need a fast twist in your 25-06 but this would give you ranges that the 25-06 has never seen before.

The heavies in this caliber will be a 150 gr BCFBHP and possibly a 160 gr BCFBHP as well.

You can e-mail Wildcat Bullets at:

[email protected]

Good SHooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I had one built in 1988 with a heavy douglas barrel and there is no way I could even remember the deer, coyote, and fox it has taken. I finally shot out the barrel and that gun is now being turned into a 220 swift but Santa is bringing me a new remmy cdl in 25-06. It will easily take large whitetail deer at 500. Done it plenty of times with 115 gr. partitions. Good luck, James Jamison.

The .25-06 is a very versatile cartridge. I wouldn't be skeered to use it on the biggest whitetail anywhere. It is phenominally flat shooting, very accurate and easy to load for. Some say it doesn't have a wide enough range of bullets but I don't see that at all.
I've had real good luck/accuracy with the 75gr Sierra HP. I have some 75gr V-max's (a buddy gave them to me) that I haven't even tried yet. Another buddy shoots the .257 Roberts AI with the 90gr Sierra GK. He said Sierra recommended that bullet for whitetails.
I've used the 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and the 100gr Barnes TSX this year for deer. Both bullets are equally accurate and devastating. I started deer season out using TSX's. Rifle was 3" high at 100yds. I ran low on the TSX and went to Ballistic Tips. Cleaned the barrel and shot the 100gr NBT's and they were 4" high! All I had to do was drop down four clicks.
I'm currently working up a load with the 110gr AccuBond. I tried 53.5gr of RL22/w CCI BR2 yesterday and the group was just under 1". If the wind dies down on my range this evening I will try 54.0gr and see how that does.
I'm shooting a Rem Sendero SF with Leupold 6.5-20x40 with Dual Dovetail rings/mounts. My buddy recently bought (guy with .257 Roberts AI) the Rem CDL in .25-06. He likes it but is currently having problems. He disassembeled it to clean it and now can't find the right pressure on the bedding screws. It's got the wooden pressure point in the barrel channel. I've convinced him he needs to glass bed and free-float the barrel. Accuracy has gone from sub-.5" to 2" groups! He and I always argue about wood vs synthetic and which ones more stable. I'm LOL right now! 65in/lbs on the Sendero's action screws and it shoots like nobody's business. Johnny K.

[ QUOTE ]
Ageo308,

Sounds like a nice rig. If your going to be hunting pigs at those relatively close ranges, a 25-06 will serve you very well with a quality bullet such as the new 110 gr Accubond from Nosler.

Obviously you are not looking to save pelts on the foxes as the 25-06 will do a number on them.

I don't know how big of a deal it is to order bullets in from Canada for you or from the USA but Wildcat Bullets is building a few specialty bullets for my 257 Allen Mag that you may be interested in.

The light bullet is a bonded COre 130 gr FBHP with a B.C. of .550 and a S.D. .281.

Next is a 145 gr FBSP built on a heavy tapered jacket. This bullet has a B.C. of .530 and a S.D. of .313.

There is also a 145 gr ULD Rebated Boattail bullet which should show up here this week that has a B.C. of .738!!!

You would certainly need a fast twist in your 25-06 but this would give you ranges that the 25-06 has never seen before.

The heavies in this caliber will be a 150 gr BCFBHP and possibly a 160 gr BCFBHP as well.

You can e-mail Wildcat Bullets at:

[email protected]

Good SHooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirby only 1 problem mate, cant order ammo in for yourself here, only dealers can - and i dont know a dealer well enough for them to order it in as costs can get pretty steep if its not bought in massive bulk. But ill email them and see what they can do (if they have a contact here) thanks.

XMas Greetings from Oz! Sounds like an exciting project, and you have obviously thought about it, as you choosing quality tried and proven components for the rifle.

However, I would query the choice of a number 7 contour barrel, as they normally weigh about 5.5 pounds, and that would make your rifle about 10.5 - 11.0 pounds. That would not present a problem if used solely for a varmint rifle, but way too heavy if you suddenly need to carry it any distance through the scrub, and swing on to a moving feral pig or goat.

I currently have two rifles that each began their life as a 25/06,and were used in that mode for about 300 shots before I had my gunsmith set back the barrel and rechamber to the 25/06 AI.

The better of the two rifles, I built (in about 1980) on a Sako L61R action, and a Shilen number 3 contour sporter(.610 in at muzzle) 24 inch 1 in 10 twist barrel. After adding a Canjar set trigger, fajen walnut stock with Pachmyer decelerator pad, Sako mounts and a recently aquired Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 scope the rifle ends up at about 4 kg or 8.5 lbs. Although it was designed to be a hunting rifle for use on medium game (roos, emus, goats, pigs, etc) the sub 0.5 moa accuracy with the Nosler 100 and 115 grain BT bullets, means that it could be used successfuly as a varmint rifle if the need arose.

The 24 inch barrel on this custom rifle achieved 3,325 fps with the 100 grain bullet as a 25/06, and 3,550 fps with the 25/06 AI. Also it reached 3,075 fps with the 115 grain bullet as a 25/06, and 3300 fps as a 25/06 AI.

Unless you have discovered a "Calici free" area of Oz, there probably are not enough rabbits to toast the throat of your 25/06. However, if you are lucky enough to be frequently firing 3 shots or more in less than 3 minutes, then I would consider using a much smaller case and calibre.

The advice of fifty driver (Kirby) in an earlier post as usual is excellent, and I would also suggest that if you use the 257 calibre, go with a 1 in 8 twist barrel as that would give you the flexibility to use the heavier 130 - 150 grain bullets now being produced by Wildcat bullets. (I have placed an order for some)

I have found that in both the 25/06 and AI, the Nosler 100 grain BT is dynamite on Aussie medium game. I have only just started to try the Nosler 115 grain BT, and although very accurate, it will take several years of use in varying situations before I feel qualified to make an assessment on this bullet.

I believe the Wildcat Bullets, bonded core 130 and 140 grain bullets should provide the extra penetration on the largest of the mud crusted boars you might encounter, and the 145 grain ULD would certainly be an asset in the wind past 250 yards. The advent of these bullets should make the 257 compete with the heavier 140 - 150 grain 264 bulets.
Good luck on your project, Brian.

[ QUOTE ]

However, I would query the choice of a number 7 contour barrel, as they normally weigh about 5.5 pounds, and that would make your rifle about 10.5 - 11.0 pounds. That would not present a problem if used solely for a varmint rifle, but way too heavy if you suddenly need to carry it any distance through the scrub, and swing on to a moving feral pig or goat.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be only used for varmint/bench gun. The 7600 police with holosight optic will take care of closer range scrub hunting.
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you have discovered a "Calici free" area of Oz, there probably are not enough rabbits to toast the throat of your 25/06. However, if you are lucky enough to be frequently firing 3 shots or more in less than 3 minutes, then I would consider using a much smaller case and calibre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brian i have heard many things about the 25/06 but feel i should stick to a calibre i know and then as my confidence grows i can re-chamber it to other cals such as 25/06 AI. I have access to a few properties that have a fair few rabbits running around but not enough to shoot it like a semi-auto hehe.

[ QUOTE ]
The advice of fifty driver (Kirby) in an earlier post as usual is excellent, and I would also suggest that if you use the 257 calibre, go with a 1 in 8 twist barrel as that would give you the flexibility to use the heavier 130 - 150 grain bullets now being produced by Wildcat bullets. (I have placed an order for some)

I have found that in both the 25/06 and AI, the Nosler 100 grain BT is dynamite on Aussie medium game. I have only just started to try the Nosler 115 grain BT, and although very accurate, it will take several years of use in varying situations before I feel qualified to make an assessment on this bullet.

I believe the Wildcat Bullets, bonded core 130 and 140 grain bullets should provide the extra penetration on the largest of the mud crusted boars you might encounter, and the 145 grain ULD would certainly be an asset in the wind past 250 yards. The advent of these bullets should make the 257 compete with the heavier 140 - 150 grain 264 bulets.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you ordering and going to ge them in?
The heavier projs seem nice but most of my bullets with vary from 75-110 maybe a bit larger so a 1-12 twist probably the best way to go or do you reckon i should go a touch smaller? (even if accuracy is a bit less on the heavier proj i wont mind as pigs are fairly large and most likely i wont shoot them past 200yrds.)

Brian Winzor,

I agree with your comments totally, why the industry has not adopted the 1-9 twist for the 25 caliber modern rounds really is a mystery to me. A 1-8 would be even better but I have not seen to many 25-06 and 257 Wby rifles shoot the 117 gr Boattails or the 120 gr bullets with fine accuracy.

Sure some shoot into 1 moa groups but on average they do not perform with the heavy bullets which has really limited the likes of the 25-06 which is a far better round then its given credit for. The 25-06 AI is also a great round.

About those 130 gr Bonded Cores, I used them on two deer this season. A nice mature whitetail doe at 502 yards and on a 340 lb whitetail buck. They performed great and that was with a launch speed of 3470 fps.

Richard has redesigned this bullet with a heavy tapered jacket so they will handle the strain of a close range impact when fired out of my 257 AM at a projected 3650 fps for the 130 gr pill.

If I could figure out how to post pics on the new board I would show off the new 257 AM as I got the reamer and chambered a fireforming barrel. Looks pretty nice!!!

This barrel is only 25" long and already it is topping the 257 STW out of a 26" barrel with the 130 gr pills using AA8700.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I have been varminting with my 25-06 for a few years now. It was fine as a 25-06 but it really shines as a 25-06AI. 75 grain V-Max's shoot 5 into a little bugholes @3950 and 100 grain partitions into .3's at 3550. I just love shooting this thing. When I'm shooting way out it's like the bullets are self guided. I almost never miss unless I have a really crappy rest and am wobling all over. Here is my old one (Ruger) and the new Accumark that is taking it's place. A 257 WBY. It shoots 110 Accubonds at 3600. It's one fine ride. Trigger adjusted right down to 13 ounces and the barrel is butter smooth.

060736.JPG

257Accumark.jpg

I've used a 25/06 for deer & varmints. Best gun in the world to "fly" chucks. I would wonder if the Accubond at that high velocity isn't explosive. Have you shot any large game at close range? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ageo308,
You're right about there not being any reference to it anywhere. I found out about it on "www.midwayusa.com" under the handloading/.257 cal bullet section. Currently working up some loads using RL22. Accuracy potential is there, but haven't checked any of my loads over a chrono yet. Johnny K.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.