Completed AR10 Builds (6.5 Creedmoor)

It's 2" longer than the rifle length, lowers the pulse of the rifle and increases the dwell/lock time of the bolt, the further the gas port is out, the easier it is on the rifle. It has to have a properly drilled gas port as well, simply moving the port out without changing the port diameter will create more problems than it alleviates.

The same thing can be accomplished with any gas system length by tuning the buffer spring and weight, nothing I own or assemble comes with anything lighter than 5.3oz. I have a couple of carbine 308 rifles that have buffers as heavy as 8.5oz. Dumps brass in a neat little pile about 6' @ the 3 o'clock position with no adjustable gas block.

Here's are a couple of short explanations of gas system length choices

Gas system lengths

Gas System Lengths Explained
I built a AR to shoot the 7.62 x 39. You learn how important a gas system & buffer tube is, How they need to work together to get it to run flawlessly. Faux enhanced firing pin & trigger spring. Also helped with light primer strikes. It started out as a cheap build. And really after all said & done it would have been cheaper to buy one done. But then I did learn a few things building this one. Or at least refreshed my memory from my days in the Army arms room. So I guess I could say it was a trade off. I also wanted to do this cal before I decided to do a 6.5 CM OR 308. Which I don't think I will ever get done at this point. To many pokers in the fire. lol
Which type of grease...moly or the red (forgot what it called) or maybe some lubraplate?

I just threw together a 6.5 and it is terrible...
Pops primers.
Ruins brass.
I have no idea what to do?
Bear creek upper/ Palmetto state multi lower.
My 7.62 x 39 build was about the same when I got it together. I also went with the BC upper. I found they installed the wrong ejector pin in the bolt. Not sure why ? It was the beginning of the Pandemic. So not sure if they were just trying to use up parts. Or someone grabbed the wrong one. I also understand you're working with the AR 10 platform. But my point is they could be getting bad parts or have people putting these together with wrong parts. I would have thought they would have fixed these issues by now though. I unfortunately did not see the bad reviews till after I put the rifle together. I like the rifle now. But it took more time & money to make it right. As to buy a new rifle. The shell would not feed straight into the chamber. Take the bolt out & see if a shell will sit back in the bolt face flush. Make sure case is under the ejector claw. I was having about the same issues you were. Except no blown primers. Not sure if this could be your problem but was definitely one of mine. I also needed a heavier buffer.

Last edited:
I built a AR to shoot the 7.62 x 39. You learn how important a gas system & buffer tube is, How they need to work together to get it to run flawlessly. Faux enhanced firing pin & trigger spring. Also helped with light primer strikes. It started out as a cheap build. And really after all said & done it would have been cheaper to buy one done. But then I did learn a few things building this one. Or at least refreshed my memory from my days in the Army arms room. So I guess I could say it was a trade off. I also wanted to do this cal before I decided to do a 6.5 CM OR 308. Which I don't think I will ever get done at this point. To many pokers in the fire. lol

Seems like the vinegar and salt wouldn't be a good thing for a firearm?

Just finished this today for my son-in-law. 65 Creedmoor. Aero upper/lower and hand guard. Have 3 differ BCGs I can run. One is a generic off brand and headspace's perfect on my Aero 308. Other is low mass that also works perfect in my 308. Other is a brand new Aero Nitride. He will only ever shoot factory ammo. Barrel is Odin Works with their adjustable gas block. 22" extended rifle length.

D36542E9-A004-46A5-AC1E-BD9F9B672AE0.jpeg
2566CBC0-FE30-4EBF-AE6A-74FC03FD9C37.jpeg

@JAYgs8163 out of the 3 BCG's, for 6.5CM, whichever one you use should have the HP firing pin set-up.

welcome to the club. However, be advised, building the AR-10 is one thing, then you move on to tuning it and getting it to run. Good Luck! in the next chapter.

@JAYgs8163 out of the 3 BCG's, for 6.5CM, whichever one you use should have the HP firing pin set-up.

welcome to the club. However, be advised, building the AR-10 is one thing, then you move on to tuning it and getting it to run. Good Luck! in the next chapter.
I've got 5 other ARs. 556 (2), 65 Grendel, 308, and a 7-08 so it's not new for me. Been in the club for many years my friend. The Aero and the low mass have the HP setup.

HP isn't necessarily needed! I have several 6.5creed's, 260rem's and 1 243win that doesn't have/use a HP bolt or pin.

I started off using the VG6 Gamma 65, it's specific for 6.5mm caliber. and relatively cheap. Felt it wasn't doing enough, so I bit the bullet and replaced it with the Area 419 Hellfire for more recoil mitigation. I like to be able to keep the scope on target, downrange, so I can spot my own impacts, also, sometimes it's fun to have quick follow-up shots.

the stupid thing about "buy once, cry once" ...

ETA:
I use Precision Armament M4-72 and LANTAC Dragon for my 5.56 builds.
I use the PA M4-72 for my 308's.

Last edited:

Recent Posts