Completed AR10 Builds (6.5 Creedmoor)

C.O. Shooter

Not all barrel mfgs are equal when it comes to gas system lengths. Aero Precision is the only 1 so far that is 100% good from the git go on standard rifle length gas. I have a cbi (criterion?) that has rifle length, but pops primers (I'll need to do some more adjusting). That barrel is a tac driver for sure! Proof barrels in SS and CF with +2 aren't near as good with function (needs more tuning). I have Faxon, 2A and 1 more brand (I'll get back to you) that's not near as good as the 1st 2. With AP I run standard weight buffer, spring and non-adjustable gb and it runs flawless! What I don't like is the 4.5-5# barrels, but now offer fluted that might save 6-8oz. Gas port size is very important as AP has it nailed! All of these have been tested with Hornady 120 a-max factory ammo. I also have 260rem barrels from PR also that has the same issue, but I'm working it out. Most have agb and vary on gas system length (standard to +2 rifle). Fixes will be a heavier buffer and maybe a stronger spring for better function. I also don't have or run any suppressors.

Aero/Aero M4E1 Enhanced receiver set, Aero Handguard, WMD Nickle Boron BCG, ARP 24" 3R 8 twist spiral fluted barrel, Aero non-adjustable gas block, VG6 Epsilon 65 Brake, CMC 2.5lb 3 gun trigger, Slash's 6.5oz XH Buffer, Springco spring, Magpul CTR stock, MOE slim grip and remaining bits and pieces are Aero. It's heavy but accurate with the Leica ER 5 3 - 15 x 56mm scope and Warne Cantilever mount. It shoots soft with the buffer system and rifle length gas system.

I want to build another but try to get it to come in lighter, but I am afraid that it won't have the accuracy this rifle does and I will be disappointed. I don't have any regrets with this one, maybe weight. Optic and mount choice maybe, this one runs out of adjustment just beyond 500yds.

F1C8581B-F89E-45BB-8593-8B0CA960C054.jpeg

So mine is a complete Wilson Combat Build with their matched upper-lower and hand guard, 24" match grade barrel with matching bolt. I did this because, well I like the Wilson Combat products and from the research I did I was concerned about the potential headspace issues, as the AR 10 world is not Milspec like the AR15 world. A friend asked me to build one with no price/time restrictions so I waited for sales and ordered two of each. Silly thing is I could have just bought a complete rifle for less than I have in our two builds.
Now, I got asked for a 6.5 CM build, I was not a fan of the cartridge, but I don't have to bother with reloading, they just plain shoot with the Berger ammo, American Gunner 140 gr OTM, and Hornady 143 ELD-X.

I watched a Youtube Video by Erik Cortina on his AR10 6.5 using Berger 130gr OTM ammo made specifically for the AR 10. It shot lights out sub MOA and so do ours. Plus I end up with Lapua Brass.
Other notable parts
- LaRue trigger and one piece scope mount
- Magpul PRS stock
- JP Silent Captured Spring
- Superlative Adjustable Gas Block
- EC Tuner
E8CC2DBB-1462-4EA8-9C66-4BDE8D38AE8F.jpeg

Are you planning to hunt, target, both?
What distances do you plan on shooting?
The barrel cost vs performance decision plays a key to match your needs.
Trigger 2-stage?
Do you need an adjustable stock?

My rifle...

Geissele SSA-E Trigger (watch for sales, you can pick em for $150-160 on sale. Normally $240). Suppliers include Primary Arms, Palmetto State Armory...

Heavy 24" Krieger 1-8 twist barrel with 0.936 gas journal (I shop Precision Firearms https://www.precisionfirearms.com/48m8/barrels/6-5-creedmoor-barrels.html). Criterion makes very good, less expensive barrels for all around use.

Rifle length gas tube. Many suppliers, my own preference is either Wilson Combat or Larue

Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Block. Many suppliers.

Muzzlebrake from APA
https://www.americanprecisionarms.c...ming-muzzle-brake?_pos=2&_sid=c43f798e8&_ss=r

Magpul PRS stock. Rifle length. I want my fit to be perfect even if it does weigh a little more. Many suppliers

WMD NiB BCG

Lower Parts Kit, Lower Receiver, Upper Parts Kit, Upper Receiver from Aero Precision

Many buffer kits out there. The buffer return spring I use is Tubbs Flat Wire...

Can someone explain the "+2 rifle gas system?" What is the +2 referring to?

It's 2" longer than the rifle length, lowers the pulse of the rifle and increases the dwell/lock time of the bolt, the further the gas port is out, the easier it is on the rifle. It has to have a properly drilled gas port as well, simply moving the port out without changing the port diameter will create more problems than it alleviates.

The same thing can be accomplished with any gas system length by tuning the buffer spring and weight, nothing I own or assemble comes with anything lighter than 5.3oz. I have a couple of carbine 308 rifles that have buffers as heavy as 8.5oz. Dumps brass in a neat little pile about 6' @ the 3 o'clock position with no adjustable gas block.

Here's are a couple of short explanations of gas system length choices

Gas system lengths

Gas System Lengths Explained

It's 2" longer than the rifle length, lowers the pulse of the rifle and increases the dwell/lock time of the bolt, the further the gas port is out, the easier it is on the rifle. It has to have a properly drilled gas port as well, simply moving the port out without changing the port diameter will create more problems than it alleviates.

The same thing can be accomplished with any gas system length by tuning the buffer spring and weight, nothing I own or assemble comes with anything lighter than 5.3oz. I have a couple of carbine 308 rifles that have buffers as heavy as 8.5oz. Dumps brass in a neat little pile about 6' @ the 3 o'clock position with no adjustable gas block.

Gas system lengths

Great post!

So mine is a complete Wilson Combat Build with their matched upper-lower and hand guard, 24" match grade barrel with matching bolt. I did this because, well I like the Wilson Combat products and from the research I did I was concerned about the potential headspace issues, as the AR 10 world is not Milspec like the AR15 world. A friend asked me to build one with no price/time restrictions so I waited for sales and ordered two of each. Silly thing is I could have just bought a complete rifle for less than I have in our two builds.
Now, I got asked for a 6.5 CM build, I was not a fan of the cartridge, but I don't have to bother with reloading, they just plain shoot with the Berger ammo, American Gunner 140 gr OTM, and Hornady 143 ELD-X.

I watched a Youtube Video by Erik Cortina on his AR10 6.5 using Berger 130gr OTM ammo made specifically for the AR 10. It shot lights out sub MOA and so do ours. Plus I end up with Lapua Brass.
Other notable parts
- LaRue trigger and one piece scope mount
- Magpul PRS stock
- JP Silent Captured Spring
- Superlative Adjustable Gas Block
- EC Tuner
View attachment 422352
Good wolf gun right there!!!!

Gas system lengths

Great explanation on the gas system

Aero m5, magpul prs stock, larue Mbt2s. Toolcraft dual ejector/high pressure bolt. Sent bolt and rock creek blank to compass lake and had it chambered for 6.5 creed, 24", +2 rifle gas.

Gun shoots extremely well, did need an adjustable gas block for max comfort but was plenty reliable without. Just little gassy and I only shoot it supressed.

It shoots like this pretty much any day with 130 eldm on imr4350 @ 2850. This barrel is 1.1 too .936. Total brute, but was built mainly as a belly gun/prs gas gun division. I think it's 17? Lbs loaded up I don't remember.
0D8A5A8E-842F-4AC8-86B1-6E16E1D7D5EB.jpeg
A456C736-03E9-4DB0-A11A-7C03F3B59747.jpeg
B6AD357D-613D-47BA-82E8-0CA6AA9CD55D.jpeg

Here's what I got:
  • Wilson Combat AR10 receiver set and hand guard in FDE.
  • Falkor Defense lower parts kit.
What I need:
  • Trigger (Geissele SSAE)
  • Buffer & buffer spring (JP Silent Capture)
  • Stock (MAGPUL PRS)
  • Charging Handle (SLR Raptor)
  • 24" Barrel (Craddock Percision/Bartlein)
  • Adjustable Gas Block and Tube (SLR)
  • Muzzle device (Brake of some sort)
  • Wilson Pistol Grip
  • BCG (Wilson, JP, or Lantec)
  • Magazines
Would be looking at Craddock to assemble.

This is a double pic as not knowing which one is more clear?
Here's what I got:
  • Wilson Combat AR10 receiver set and hand guard in FDE.
  • Falkor Defense lower parts kit.
What I need:
  • Trigger (Geissele SSAE)
  • Buffer & buffer spring (JP Silent Capture)
  • Stock (MAGPUL PRS)
  • Charging Handle (SLR Raptor)
  • 24" Barrel (Craddock Percision/Bartlein)
  • Adjustable Gas Block and Tube (SLR)
  • Muzzle device (Brake of some sort)
  • Wilson Pistol Grip
  • BCG (Wilson, JP, or Lantec)
  • Magazines
Would be looking at Craddock to assemble.
Check pm

Recent Posts