AR10 6.5 Creedmoor - anyone shoot one?

mooredj

I just built a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Armalite AR10 platform. Anyone shoot one? I put an adjustable gas block on it as I hear that they can be a bit finicky to setup. I will see. Planning on seeing if I can get Nosler VFDs to work through it. Waiting for the weather to get warmer before I get that opportunity - 8" of snow here. Most of you will say why when a bolt gun works better and is lighter. Something for me to try. Nice thing is that I can switch to my .308 match upper it a few seconds if I want.

David

Yup. I Built myself one using the 2A lightweight stuff and some Ti parts. Came in at 5.6lbs if I recall. I complicated (with LW parts) the finickiness of mine but it runs well now once I got the buffer, spring, gas all settled out.

the cartridge doesnt get much love on this forum, the haters will be around before too long to let you know that they dont approve of your cartridge choice and/or platform that you've purchased with your own money and doesnt affect their life in the slightest bit.

i have alot of gas guns because it's something i can build in my garage myself exactly how i want it without a ton of expensive specialty tools.

i built mine on an aero precision lower/upper. midwest rail. ballistic barrel. burris xtrii 4-20x. drop in timney trigger. i love it. it eats everything i've put in it and it'll shoot under an moa at 100 yards with match ammo.

i used to shoot it a lot more but i havent been able to find the ammo around here lately and if i do it's double the price it should be.

i have an adjustable block on mine as well, but i've never had an issue with cycling. recoil seems tame to me as well but my barrel is .936 at the gas block, so it's quite heavy. the scope is almost 2 pounds as well. i'm probably close to 13 pounds with ammo.

i have had problems with loading 20 rounds into the 20 round pmags and it binding up the BCG on the first few shots. but i blame that on the mags. i've started only loading 18 rounds and it's fine.

I just built a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Armalite AR10 platform. Anyone shoot one? I put an adjustable gas block on it as I hear that they can be a bit finicky to setup. I will see. Planning on seeing if I can get Nosler VFDs to work through it. Waiting for the weather to get warmer before I get that opportunity - 8" of snow here. Most of you will say why when a bolt gun works better and is lighter. Something for me to try. Nice thing is that I can switch to my .308 match upper it a few seconds if I want.

David
Adjustable gas blocks are very easy to set up, but kind of a pain. Here is how I do it: Shut it off and open 1 turn. Put 1 round in the mag and fire. Bolt most likely will not move. Open the block 1/2 turn, load one round and fire. Continue doing so until the bold locks back after firing the round. Then open 1/4 turn and lock it down. All there is to it. All my AR's have these. Easy on parts, lower recoil, not overgassed, just gooder all around.

Adjustable gas blocks are very easy to set up, but kind of a pain. Here is how I do it: Shut it off and open 1 turn. Put 1 round in the mag and fire. Bolt most likely will not move. Open the block 1/2 turn, load one round and fire. Continue doing so until the bold locks back after firing the round. Then open 1/4 turn and lock it down. All there is to it. All my AR's have these. Easy on parts, lower recoil, not overgassed, just gooder all around.
I'd also recommend not saving weight here and getting a good gas block. All of mine but one have frozen up from sitting too long and then I strip the hex and it becomes a pain. So far my superlative has worked best.

I'd also recommend not saving weight here and getting a good gas block. All of mine but one have frozen up from sitting too long and then I strip the hex and it becomes a pain. So far my superlative has worked best.
agreed, i always go for steel blocks from a reputable manufacturer. i just put an aero gas block on my grendel and it was quite easy to set up. very gentle recoil now. it's on a lightweight wilson combat 20" barrel with an A2 flash hider.

Two of my friends have ar's in 6.5 creedmoor and they both shoot well under half inch all day.
I have a savage mrs precision and I can't get it to shoot an inch.
So I am thinking about making a 22 creedmoor

Two of my friends have ar's in 6.5 creedmoor and they both shoot well under half inch all day.
I have a savage mrs precision and I can't get it to shoot an inch.
So I am thinking about making a 22 creedmoor
Yes, we square the upper, bed the barrel, and use an adjustable block. If you buy a match grade barrel in just the $300 range these things can be scary accurate set up this way. Easy and fun to build, and very satisfying. My 6.8 will do 1/2" with factory loads. My .22 Nosler is more like 5/8", but will shoot a ragged hole with handloads. Have a couple of .223's that shoot this well also. Every one of them will shoot better than they need to. Don't skimp on the trigger and it is a fine weapon. Build your own gun. Really not hard to put together. Anyone who handloads has enough sense to build one. You can put one together with really good parts that YOU choose to work together for $1k. You can build a very serviceable rifle for less than 1/2 that, and anywhere in between. You will end up with a rifle that would cost over double that to buy, and still not have everything you want on it. I was a little imtimadated on my first one, and it was not that hard.

I've bought several 65cm barrels of various brands and the only 1 that ran perfect straight from the get go was AP! Even with standard rifle length gas system for an 18, 20 and 22" barrels. Some of the other brands having +2 is a joke (yes, that includes PR barrels)! AP are heavy barrels, but they are gas ported perfect! I jumped on the 26cal band wagon with a pre '64 264wm and thought I'd give the cm a try in an AR. I like the 260rem better, but my children don't argue. The AP barrels I have don't have and haven't required an adjustable gb. All other do need them, well the ones I have do.