6.5 Creedmoor Brass - AR10.

C.O. Shooter

Looking for experience with 6.5 Creedmoor Brass in an AR10 (Do's and Don't).

Would be looking at mainly Lapua, but would consider Peterson or ADG.

Small vs large primer hole (Pro's vs Con's).

Thanks

I wouldn't use premium brass in a gas gun. They are all mostly over gassed. Will take a lot of abuse from extractor and deflector.
Times 2^^^^^^^^^^

You can control the gas or just get 1 properly gassed. With aero precision barrels using standard rifle length gas I've never had any brass issues while using standard weight buffer and spring. Same setup using a Non-adjustable gb without issues. Proof's +2 is over gassed when using the same buffer and spring even with an adjustable gb. However both can/have dent/dented the shoulder. Only when the extractor is tight and/or the ejector has to stiff of a spring. GA PORT SIZE is #1 key for best function across the board! Expensive brass to me isn't worth the money in AR's, unless you can save it, reuse it or can afford replacing it?

I built a 6.5 CM in an AR-10 years ago. It took what seemed like forever to get everything right! Barrel length, gas system. bolt, buffer weight, adjustable gas, etc. In the end I had a spectacularly accurate unbalanced pig that had very short brass life no matter what I put in it. Sometimes brass would start cracking after just 2 loadings, those were Federal. I built it to hunt and in short order I found it way to unwieldy for that endeavor. It would have made a great competition rifle but that wasn't what I was looking for. I was fortunate to get my money out of it.

Thanks
I have one and I shoot Berger 130 OTM tactical ammo from it. I started with the Hornady American Gunner 140gr OTM rounds. My AR 10 is all Wilson matched components with an adjustable gas block. I will run a can on it as well. My BCG has the "double" extractor which for the life of me I could not adjust enough to "not" get dented cases. I got a TacStar brass catcher and placed it so the rear of the bag covered the deflector and no more dented cases and I don't pick up anymore brass. I was also advise to place a piece of the loop side (softside) of a strip of Velcro on the deflector to eliminate the dented cases.

The Berger ammo is loaded in Lapua cases. BTW, I got sub MOA performance out of both these ammo brands.
3CC35964-3233-4A72-9108-10ADF10E937A.jpeg

I plan to load Hammers in the cases next as well as duplicate the Berger ammo load since it shoots so well.

I have one and I shoot Berger 130 OTM tactical ammo from it. I started with the Hornady American Gunner 140gr OTM rounds. My AR 10 is all Wilson matched components with an adjustable gas block. I will run a can on it as well. My BCG has the "double" extractor which for the life of me I could not adjust enough to "not" get dented cases. I got a TacStar brass catcher and placed it so the rear of the bag covered the deflector and no more dented cases and I don't pick up anymore brass. I was also advise to place a piece of the loop side (softside) of a strip of Velcro on the deflector to eliminate the dented cases.

The Berger ammo is loaded in Lapua cases. BTW, I got sub MOA performance out of both these ammo brands.View attachment 455078

I plan to load Hammers in the cases next as well as duplicate the Berger ammo load since it shoots so well.
Nice looking rig!

thanks Dano. Built two of them for our yearly pig hunts. One for a friend and just started ordering 2 of everything. It is very accurate with factory ammo. Very comfortable with my can on it so that is fun.

Not a big fan of ARs cause of the Brass pick up but brass catchers solved that. It is fun to ring steel with and barrel swaps are easy. I will say that I should have just ordered a complete rifle from Wilson Combat, maybe LaRue, would have been cheaper. I did it because I wanted to assemble an AR10.

thanks Dano. Built two of them for our yearly pig hunts. One for a friend and just started ordering 2 of everything. It is very accurate with factory ammo. Very comfortable with my can on it so that is fun.

Not a big fan of ARs cause of the Brass pick up but brass catchers solved that. It is fun to ring steel with and barrel swaps are easy. I will say that I should have just ordered a complete rifle from Wilson Combat, maybe LaRue, would have been cheaper. I did it because I wanted to assemble an AR10.
It's not only fun and very satisfying to build it yourself, but a lot is learned in the process; tuning the rifle with springs, buffers, gas blocks and finding a bolt that won't pierce primers in that caliber.

Thanks
I've built several of these. Your biggest challanges will be gas control and cyclic timing. Consider a JP high pressure bcg and bolt with the small diameter firing pin. This should help eliminate pierced primers. It usually involves lots of testing to tune properly. Once you get these under control, you can work with brass preferences. Next comes your trigger and trigger control. Take your time.

i've found that the Aero nitride AR-308 BCG's have the skinny firing pin, and associated smaller firing pin aperture in the bolt face. Also, the Brownells nitride 308 BCG. Both have performed satisfactorily in my builds.

if you need extra oomph for ejection, Arm-or-Ally has the Toolcraft dual-ejector bolts with the skinny 6.5CM firing pin, they sell the bolts separately so you can upgrade your existing BCG, or they sell them as an assembly. Arm-or-Ally has these frequently on sale. I've found their firing pins are interchangeable with the Brownells and Aero skinny firing pins. I would only go to the dual-ejector if you determined you actually needed it. FWIW.