Completed AR10 Builds (6.5 Creedmoor)

I have this barrel kit from Odin works which is going on a matched Aero upper/lower combo. I bought this in 2019 and am now putting everything together. I'm about done assembling everything. Any suggestions for rifle length spring/buffer combo and a BCG? Thanks, Jay

Odin's BCG already has the small diameter firing pin for $225, that keeps you from finding out another BCG doesn't have the correct firing pin diameter.

I am a H3 and Sprinco guy, that said, buy a buffer tube kit and whatever stock you want to run, if it doesn't run 100%, it's $35ish for a H3 buffer.

Odin's BCG already has the small diameter firing pin for $225, that keeps you from finding out another BCG doesn't have the correct firing pin diameter.

I am a H3 and Sprinco guy, that said, buy a buffer tube kit and whatever stock you want to run, if it doesn't run 100%, it's $35ish for a H3 buffer.
Most don't have the small dia pins, so don't use dpms, jp, lmt and so many others. kak has the correct size and AP should also. The 1 on the left is bigger and the 1 on the right is the correct size and shape.

pin size
L .075"
R .068"
20230102_202330.jpg

Just because it states "high pressure" doesn't mean the pin will work. I have AP ar10 bolts and other mfgs including jp, so far ap and kac pins work.

So the pin on the right is smaller in diameter and also has less protrusion? Can one simply change the pin to the smaller or will this increase primer flowback.
the bolts using the skinnier FP also have a correspondingly smaller hole in the bolt face for the firing pin protrusion. So, no, you can't just swap out a normal AR-308 FP with a skinny HP FP. Well, you could, but it's not a good thing. That would actually be worse than just using the fat pin with the fat hole. "hot dog down the hallway".

could be the tapering section immediately behind the HP FP tip would preclude you from putting the HP FP into the normal 308 bolt.

Last edited:
So the pin on the right is smaller in diameter and also has less protrusion? Can one simply change the pin to the smaller or will this increase primer flowback.
no idea? although jp states hp, their pins seem to be larger. i've used their titanium pins also and steel is better. the ti pins are just lighter and not much more use than that.

Most don't have the small dia pins, so don't use dpms, jp, lmt and so many others. kak has the correct size and AP should also. The 1 on the left is bigger and the 1 on the right is the correct size and shape.

pin size
L .075"
R .068"
View attachment 424285
By design is what keeps them from interchangeability. The smaller having a short nose and an angle that'll work in a bolt built for that specific pin. The larger having a longer nose if machined/ground/filed/sanded down could make it pierce the primer, but that would depend on the shank closest to the nose? Overall length is the same, but the shanks are at different spaces.

Just because it states "high pressure" doesn't mean the pin will work. I have AP ar10 bolts and other mfgs including jp, so far ap and kac pins work.

I am just going off what Odin states on their website. Me personally, I use a Toolcraft HP small pin BCG and remove one of the ejectors, I get false pressure signs with both ejectors installed.

full-25419-375988-fae87e3e_cf33_4eb7_95df_bd267653c310.jpeg

The excitement of discovering one NEEDS a HP BCG.

Darryle, thanks again for your advice and help last year.
Mine (DPMS G2) required a small stainless steel firing pin too -- I broke 2 titanium ones figuring that out.

FWIW: Should anyone be inspired to build one, I still have the Krieger 6.5 CM barrel FS. The expired ad is searchable. If there's interest I'll create a new ad.

I used mega upper and lower, all Jp barrel, HP bolt, low mass bolt carrier, silent captured spring. SLR adjustable gas block. Geissele trigger. I would not choose the Vortex Razor HDII if I did it again. It shoots fine but has popped a primer on a hot day.

Attachments

• F9E8EB52-15F6-4384-9AC8-153F884393B0.jpeg
    F9E8EB52-15F6-4384-9AC8-153F884393B0.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 47
I used mega upper and lower, all Jp barrel, HP bolt, low mass bolt carrier, silent captured spring. SLR adjustable gas block. Geissele trigger. I would not choose the Vortex Razor HDII if I did it again. It shoots fine but has popped a primer on a hot day.
Add the next power up spring and retry. Or add a tungsten weight if you are using the standard weight setup.

So mine is a complete Wilson Combat Build with their matched upper-lower and hand guard, 24" match grade barrel with matching bolt. I did this because, well I like the Wilson Combat products and from the research I did I was concerned about the potential headspace issues, as the AR 10 world is not Milspec like the AR15 world. A friend asked me to build one with no price/time restrictions so I waited for sales and ordered two of each. Silly thing is I could have just bought a complete rifle for less than I have in our two builds.
Now, I got asked for a 6.5 CM build, I was not a fan of the cartridge, but I don't have to bother with reloading, they just plain shoot with the Berger ammo, American Gunner 140 gr OTM, and Hornady 143 ELD-X.

I watched a Youtube Video by Erik Cortina on his AR10 6.5 using Berger 130gr OTM ammo made specifically for the AR 10. It shot lights out sub MOA and so do ours. Plus I end up with Lapua Brass.
Other notable parts
- LaRue trigger and one piece scope mount
- Magpul PRS stock
- JP Silent Captured Spring
- Superlative Adjustable Gas Block
- EC Tuner
View attachment 422352
@TxPhred

What bolt carrier group did you settle on? If it is Wilson Combat, any issues???

My three I am considering are JP LMOS, Wilson Combat, and Lantec.

Thanks