Completed AR10 Builds (6.5 Creedmoor)

Arm-or-Ally has a nitride HP AR-308 BCG, dual-ejector, "on-sale" for $149.99.

their single-ejector version is not on-sale, regular $229.99.

usually I use the Brownells or Aero nitride BCG, but those are pricey right now. I used to get the Brownells nitride ones for $134, but those are the pre-COVID good ole days, nothing but fond memories...

ETA2: in my limited experience, the Arm-or-Ally HP nitride dual ejector, the Aero Precision nitride 308 M5, and the Brownells nitride AR-308 bolts use the "HP" firing pins with the 0.065" diameter tip. Also, the firing pins are interchangeable between these three brands.

=====================

ETA: Aero Precision uses Ballistic Advantage barrels
KAK Industries uses Green Mountain blanks
Faxon is a barrel mfr, and they OEM their barrels to a whole slew of other companies (including Brownells), who most often do not disclose the barrel source, it seems due to contractual non-disclosure clauses.
Bear Creek Arsenal barrels show up at Midway as AR-Stoner barrels. Although Midway might OEM other barrels and rebrand as AR-Stoner also, their house brand.

Last edited:
Most of their barrels state port size and not all of their barrel lengths (same cartridge) are the same size. .

Agree, gas block journal diameter, and port distance to chamber, as well as distance to muzzle all play in the issue.

Since I chamber my own, plus a bunch for the state teams and friends, I never knew AP provides the port sizes. Is this published like in a chart?

For the 1000 yard matches service rifle legal AR10s I did for a couple of guys in the state rifle team, I drilled then finished the port with 2mm carbide reamer on 0.750 journal.

A couple of friends wanted short heavy varmint barrels cut down to 18 inch 6.5CM with rifle length gas system and 0.936 journal, the same 2mm reamed hole ran flawlessly with suppressors for hunting purposes on deer and hogs. These were their hunting rigs from a blind.

Agree, gas block journal diameter, and port distance to chamber, as well as distance to muzzle all play in the issue.

Since I chamber my own, plus a bunch for the state teams and friends, I never knew AP provides the port sizes. Is this published like in a chart?

For the 1000 yard matches service rifle legal AR10s I did for a couple of guys in the state rifle team, I drilled then finished the port with 2mm carbide reamer on 0.750 journal.

A couple of friends wanted short heavy varmint barrels cut down to 18 inch 6.5CM with rifle length gas system and 0.936 journal, the same 2mm reamed hole ran flawlessly with suppressors for hunting purposes on deer and hogs. These were their hunting rigs from a blind.
On their site it gives this info. Click on which barrel you want ant the info is stated. All though the size is close to the same, but varies slightly from 18 to 24" even when the standard rifle length is used. 24" is slightly smaller than the 22".

On their site it gives this info. Click on which barrel you want ant the info is stated. All though the size is close to the same, but varies slightly from 18 to 24" even when the standard rifle length is used. 24" is slightly smaller than the 22".

Thank you, I never knew that they published port sizes as I never bought a barrel from them.

Looking at their 308 20 inch rifle length they are using 0.086, I am using 2mm (0.0787) We can't use AGBs, the 0.0787 works well. I know some guys running 0.086s, (not AP) that ran into over gas with high pressure loads for 1K matches.

Years ago I bought a complete AR10 during one of their 24 hour specials real cheap, like cheaper than components to put one together. I pulled a the barrel and gave it to a friend, and chambered a Krieger for it. One of my 1000 yard rigs.

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert on gas gun function and tuning…but like Darryle stated "there's no rules" and 2 distinct 308 patterns…

I chose the Aero enhanced upper for the true free float feature and matched to an Aero lower, BCG, and gas block…guessed on the buffer weight and expected to have to buy an adjustable gas block.

I got lucky every thing flows and the Brownells barrel (looks like a Faxon) and gas port size worked out perfectly.

Chasing down Carl Gustaf's issues might get a little costly buying things twice but it'll get fixed.
I'm no means an expert proclaimed or not either, just knowledgeable. As far as out of the box perfect I've experienced is the AP 6.5creeds. As far as the or any +2 or more systems go and claim "you need this +gas" goes is false! 1 huge difference and function is gas port size.........period! I don't know if it's volume over pressure or the other way around? 1 thing for sure AP has it nailed! The companies that sell a complete rifle would have it functioning to run also, but for a build most are on their own? I have several extra parts so I can play around with different fixes. 1 gun might run better with a stiffer spring and another might be a heavier buffer.
Thank you, I never knew that they published port sizes as I never bought a barrel from them.

Looking at their 308 20 inch rifle length they are using 0.086, I am using 2mm (0.0787) We can't use AGBs, the 0.0787 works well. I know some guys running 0.086s, (not AP) that ran into over gas with high pressure loads for 1K matches.

Years ago I bought a complete AR10 during one of their 24 hour specials real cheap, like cheaper than components to put one together. I pulled a the barrel and gave it to a friend, and chambered a Krieger for it. One of my 1000 yard rigs.
If I remember correctly, I heard in an interview with Krieger that AP is a part of them or just use their barrels?

If I remember correctly, I heard in an interview with Krieger that AP is a part of them or just use their barrels?

Most likely not KBI. Manufacturers would be quick to state when they use premium barrels. Their CM barrels sounds like Green Mountains.

Another thing, my competition guns don't have SAAMI chambers, even my hunting rifles except for one 300WM, all have custom chambers, my reamers.

Most likely not KBI. Manufacturers would be quick to state when they use premium barrels. Their CM barrels sounds like Green Mountains.

Another thing, my competition guns don't have SAAMI chambers, even my hunting rifles except for one 300WM, all have custom chambers, my reamers.
I would be interested in chatting with you if you have the time some day. Unfortunately, you live about 500 miles south of me. Dropping by wouldn't work.

As a part of Kreiger, not as just use their barrels it seemed like? I was trying to find the interview, but not sure who posted it and which forum it was on?

I would be interested in chatting with you if you have the time some day. Unfortunately, you live about 500 miles south of me. Dropping by wouldn't work.

If you are interested in chambering your own barrel, I can over-the-shoulder you. I have 3 lathes capable of chambering. The belt drive one is the one I let others use. Lost counts on how many AR15 barrels have been chambered through it.

I have this barrel kit from Odin works which is going on a matched Aero upper/lower combo. I bought this in 2019 and am now putting everything together. I'm about done assembling everything. Any suggestions for rifle length spring/buffer combo and a BCG? Thanks, Jay

79096AFB-B46A-4716-80CC-025453A74191.png
0FFFBC9F-EA7A-4F77-A6DB-CB5746475450.png

I have this barrel kit from Odin works which is going on a matched Aero upper/lower combo. I bought this in 2019 and am now putting everything together. I'm about done assembling everything. Any suggestions for rifle length spring/buffer combo and a BCG? Thanks, Jay

View attachment 424198View attachment 424199
Check with Odin as they made the barrel and see what worked for them. It's a shooting match on what could work!

View attachment 424198View attachment 424199
I have a Grendel barrel from them that's good, but no creed

My bcg is the toolcraft dual ejector that aim has on sale and it's been great so far.