Compact Suppressed Build cartridge?

wildwilderness

I've been considering a build off the Manners Compact stock and a Remington SA 700/7 I also am considering buying my first suppressor to go on it.

The rifle will be used for target practice and big game hunting out to 600yds. And as an adjustable one for my family and friends to shoot

I'm thinking a 16.5-18" barrel with a 5-7" suppressor on it.

The obvious answer is a 308 win... but should I look at other options?

I have a Model seven In a 300 SAUM, is that too much powder for a short barrel? Too hot for a suppressor?

How about the 30-284? Get a little more push than the 308 but would need more brass work. Would I even notice the difference?

I also have a 7mm-08 and a 7 SAUM and like both those cartridges, but would loose some velocity over the 30 cal?

or should I go bigger 338 Fed? 338 RCM? Is it worth getting a 338 cal can?

thoughts?

I've been considering a build off the Manners Compact stock and a Remington SA 700/7 I also am considering buying my first suppressor to go on it.

The rifle will be used for target practice and big game hunting out to 600yds. And as an adjustable one for my family and friends to shoot

I'm thinking a 16.5-18" barrel with a 5-7" suppressor on it.

The obvious answer is a 308 win... but should I look at other options?

I have a Model seven In a 300 SAUM, is that too much powder for a short barrel? Too hot for a suppressor?

How about the 30-284?
Get a little more push than the 308 but would need more brass work. Would I even notice the difference?

I also have a 7mm-08 and a 7 SAUM and like both those cartridges, but would loose some velocity over the 30 cal?

or should I go bigger 338 Fed? 338 RCM? Is it worth getting a 338 cal can?

thoughts?

This boils down to personal preference and intended purpose (hunting what game at 600 yards?). As far as too hot for a suppressor, it depends on what the suppressor is rated for. For instance, my suppressor is rated for up to .300 RUM/.30-378, so it will work for all that you have mentioned except for the .338 cal chamberings.

giphy.gif

There was a lengthy thread about this already last week, While I think the short barrel 308 is great you do have to be on your game at 600 yards and as was discussed in the previous said thread there are better choices such as the 300WSM, I will say in my personal experience that the 308 is the least sensitive to barrel length and that's why it's my favorite short barrel suppressed platform, I do form 1's and build my own cans, I have shot them on a 300 RUM with no problems for what its worth

There was a lengthy thread about this already last week, While I think the short barrel 308 is great you do have to be on your game at 600 yards and as was discussed in the previous said thread there are better choices such as the 300WSM, I will say in my personal experience that the 308 is the least sensitive to barrel length and that's why it's my favorite short barrel suppressed platform, I do form 1's and build my own cans, I have shot them on a 300 RUM with no problems for what its worth

Yep, I remember that and was part of it too. I am glad the OP decided on a better choice. IIRC, one poster got offended. Nonetheless, it was fun. ;)

While I can't tell you what will work best for you, I will outline my similar build, and why I did what I did.

The build is for my wife. I went with a Defiance anTI action and a 7 Sherman MAX, 20" Bartlien carbon barrel, Manners EH-1 stock with a 12.5" LOP for her, she loves the feel of my EH-1's, and will be running a YHM R2 can. Finished weight will be around 8.5 lbs, 9.5 with can attached. I have a 9.5 lb .338 Norma Mag and she can manage that weight pretty easy as far as off hand holding, so 8.5 lbs of more compact weight will be even better for her. I wanted it to be comfortable for her to shoot as far as recoil, but also be capable on big game out to 1000 yards, and planned on using higher bc bullets of course. I didn't want to go down to a 6.5, as I think that is stretching it for elk at extended distances, though it can be done (I have taken multiple elk at over 800 with my .260AI...) and I did not want to go up to 30 cal, as I wanted to keep recoil manageable. That left the 7mm. Even with a 20" barrel, 180's should get around 2900 fps or so, and I am actually going to try running the 145 Badlands bulldozer first, likely 3175-3225 fps, and it has a G1 of .620, and only weighs 145 grains (mono bullet) so it should keep recoil down.

The next build I am going to do is going to be even more modular. It will be on an XLR magnesium folding chassis, which even with the folding option, is the same weight as my Manners EH-1's, right around 32 oz. It will have a carbon 18-22" barrel (undecided at this point) and will be a dedicated supressed pronghorn/deer rifle. Either a fast 6.5 or 25 cal, likely a short mag cartridge of some flavor, so it will have plenty of reach for cross canyon mulies. It will have an ar-15 style adjustable stock, so will be usable from little kids killing their first pronghorn up to a big burly man, folding so it will go in a pack nicely for back country hunts, and be kept pretty light for long packs.

You stated big game, 600 max, I assume that includes elk, as your avatar has a nice mulie, and so you likely hunt elk too. With elk on the menu, I would look at a 7 SAUM or 300 SAUM, and install a bainey 3.110" mag box, so you can get the most out of the cartridge in a short action. If you reload, it may be worth your time to look into the Sherman Short cartridges, they were specifically designed to get the most out of a short action and still fit with long high bc bullets. As far as performance, the 7 SAUM from an 18" would probably send a 180 around 2700 or so, I wouldn't count on much more, but be happy if you got it. That still makes a fantastic 600 yard hammer. As far as your can, a 5 minute phone call to the can manufacturer will tell you if your gtg with that cartridge in that barrel length.

If your not interested in the magnum SA cartridges, and shoot more mule deer than elk, then I would look at a 7mm-08, or even better, a 7mm-08 AI, or (forgive me for saying it) a 6.5 creed.

I like a 6.5x47 at 18-19" shooting a 135 Berger Classic around 2760 fps. UL7 screwed on gets me to around 24-25". Berger 140 around 2700 works well also. I'd have no issues with 600 yards on game at my altitude. Do have an 18" 30-06. It does around 2770 fps with 155 Scenars. Suppressed and total oal around 24" is quite handy.

Do you recall the title of the thread? I will search for it and try to keep down the redundancy here. Thanks

I do hunt everywhere, currently live in AK so even up to moose can be on the menu for the family, though I don't see this build as a thumper round. More for caribou and deer across open tundra thus 600 yds Accuracy. But would like it versatile when I move back to a western state to be capable for cow elk.

I do reload though haven't had a Wildcat yet so most any cartridge is possible.

I do hunt everywhere, currently live in AK so even up to moose can be on the menu for the family, though I don't see this build as a thumper round. More for caribou and deer across open tundra thus 600 yds Accuracy. But would like it versatile when I move back to a western state to be capable for cow elk.

I do reload though haven't had a Wildcat yet so most any cartridge is possible.
In that case I would do a 7 sherman short for a short action build. Should push 180's around 2800ish with an 18" barrel. The purpose for the Sherman isn't necessarily the 100ish fps over the SAUM, but more for the ability to have proper seating depth in a short action. The 40° shoulder is also nice for limiting case stretch. ADG makes fantastic brass for both as well.

In a S/A the 300SS would be a good option as well at 2750-2800 with a 215 berger in a 18" Bbl. 205gr berger EH would be a good one to if you want to go 30cal. I really like the idea of a 300SST.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.