Hunting Suppressed

I have 2 of the ultra 9's. Use them on everything 223 through 30 caliber. I locktighted the brake to the can and just thread my barrels 5/8-24. Basically making it a direct thread and eliminating the need for multiple brakes.

I have made a couple form 1 suppressors and, wow, I think they increase the joy of shooting a great deal. I have a hard time not using them every time I shoot now. The shorter barrel rigs make them much more comfortable and better balanced. I haven't hunted big game with them, I don't figure one loud shot is that big of a deal. But for prairie dogs and coyotes the suppressor has become an essential piece of gear.

TBAC ultra 9 and 338 Ultra on my 6.5-284, 300 rum, 338 Lapua. Love the 9 on my 6.5-284 at home tree stand hunting.

Everyone likes whatever they have. Has anyone had the opportunity to try several different brands at the same time with the same bullet? If so give us your thoughts. Has anyone seen a review on several different brands? If so please give us a link. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have an AAC SDN-6. I wouldn't recommend it. There are better options for the price and purpose. The lock up with the QD brake isn't as tight as I'd wish. It degrades accuracy some when I shoot with it. I've also used a silencerco omega which I much prefer. Great suppressor and lighter than the AAC.

I have a TBAC Ultra 7 and a Suppressed Armament Reaper. Both in 30, both the same 7 inch. They are similar, sound close. I get less POI shift with the Reaper. I'm 3-inches high with about all calibers with the TBAC. A little more than most report. But it's extremely repeatable which is all I really care about. The reaper has a 1-inch shift. Both are accurate,,,,,or they do not affect the accuracy of the rifle they are installed on. Would recommend them both.

Haven't hunted unsuppressed since its been legal. I suppress a .223, 7mm, and 6.5, and 300 BLK all have harvested an animal suppressed.

I run a TBAC Ultra 7. I honestly don't see a single down side to shooting suppressed. It's actually to the point I won't even shoot unless it has a suppressor on it. My .300 win mag has definitively more recoil suppressed than braked, but my 6.5 and 6's are just flat awesome to shoot suppressed.

I hunt suppressed. And most modern suppressors and their attachment methods are repeatable. Meaning their POI shift is repeatable. I have a YHM nitro and ULT, both move my POI directly down .5 mils when on the rifle. I zero with suppressor off (don't ask me why, I don't shoot unsuppressed hardly ever anymore) then when I want to shoot suppressed I just add .5 mils to my dope. Has worked great out to 1000 (on steel) for me. Once you find your POI shift from adding it (or removing it if you zero suppressed), it's pretty easy to dope for. You can even do it in your ballistics calculator, but since mine is just .5 up, I haven't fooled with it yet.

I have a TBAC Ultra 5. Ounces of weight added is in the single digits, and at only 5" long it's hardly noticeable on the end of a 18" short action barrel. It's just enough suppression to make it "hearing safe" in hunting scenarios. I've got very little hearing left over from all the times I had to make those quick shots without hearing protection. Getting a suppressor changes all that, worth every single dime. In addition, it's the only way my wife will shoot a gun. and I get a little more MV too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.