What is your ideal rifle set up for hunting suppressed

dfitz7604

Hello all,

I was reading the recent post about hunting suppressed. I truly love hunting suppressed. It makes it better all around for me and my kids/friends.

That got me thinking of what would be my ideal set up for a rifle that is dedicated to only hunting while suppressed. Say for elk and smaller out to 5-600 yards.

List your caliber, length of barrel, and stock choice. And anything else you feel like needs to be mentioned.

Thanks for playing along.

Hello all,

I was reading the recent post about hunting suppressed. I truly love hunting suppressed. It makes it better all around for me and my kids/friends.

That got me thinking of what would be my ideal set up for a rifle that is dedicated to only hunting while suppressed. Say for elk and smaller out to 5-600 yards.

List your caliber, length of barrel, and stock choice. And anything else you feel like needs to be mentioned.

I currently have 3 suppressors on rifles ranging from 204 Ruger to 300 PRC.

I have a build underway chambered in 30 Nosler using a Terminus Zeus long action, which allows barrel swap outs really easily. I have 2 barrels coming for it, both 22" long (one carbon fiber sendero and one stainless and cerakoted, fluted 3B profile, both are Bartlein). Stock is a McMillan Game Warden LR with sniper fill (I'm told the sniper fill puts heavier fill in the buttstock and lighter fill in the front, should help to counteract the weight of the suppressor up front).

When you get into 300 win mag and above, most suppressor manufacturers recommend a minimum barrel length of 22", definitely something that should be considered when thinking about building a shorter barreled custom rifle.

20" 30-06 shooting the 178gr ELD-X at 2800 fps worked pretty well this year for me. Mausingfield in a Manners Pro Hunter.

IMG_8218.jpeg

Also have a 20" 7 PRC but that I haven't got to load for that one yet.

I built a 308 with a carbon wrapped PBB 18" barrel. It still sits on the factory Remington stock.
Crux Arc Neo suppressor

I killed a couple of blacktails and mountain goats last season with it. Intend do shot more this season.
Have had good luck with 178 ELD-X.
I'm going to use 180 Norma factory this season i think

Last edited:
I just received my new suppressor for my lightweight hunting rig.

6.5 PRC
20" carbon barrel
Diamond trigger
MDT HNT 26 folder
NF SHV 3-10x42
Silencer Central Banish Backcountry

Hello all,

I have started the same thought process and the only thing I have decided on is the cartridge. I ordered several boxes of ADG 7SAUM brass and Redding dies. My GS recommends a 22" 3B fluted. Matched with my Ultra7 it will still be fairly long but will not be unmanageable. The conflict of performance vs handiness is real. I really like the thought of a shorter barrel when hunting in mixed terrain (thick woods/cover and open clear cuts), but struggle with limiting velocity by cutting too much off of barrel length.

I don't have any "500 yards and in" rifles. If I am elk hunting, you never know what your shot opportunity is going to be. Could be 50, could be 1000.

My shortest "elk rifle" is therefore a 24" 7SS w. TBAC Dominus 6.25" suppressor that is about a 950 yard elk rifle.

Defiance AnTiX SA
Manners PRS1 (I recently got an LRH to swap out that is 1lb lighter)
24" 1:8.4" Proof Sendero CF W. TBAC CB
TBAC Dominus w. Armageddon Gear cover
Hawkins Hunter DBM w. Accurate WSM mags
TriggerTech Diamond @ 5oz
Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15x50 Gen 2XR
ARC M10 30mm low rings
Flatline Ops level

Pushes a 184 Hyb @ 2875fps w. N565

Otherwise, my main elk rifle is either my 26" 1:8" 28 Nosler pushing a 195 EOL @ 3098 or a 26" 1:9" 300PRC suppressed w. TBAC Ultra 9 pushing a 215 Hyb @ 3045fps. Both LR cross canyon thumpers.

I just received my new suppressor for my lightweight hunting rig.

6.5 PRC
20" carbon barrel
Diamond trigger
MDT HNT 26 folder
NF SHV 3-10x42
Silencer Central Banish Backcountry
That folding stock is impressive. Its packing ability will sure be nice. That may be the greatest offset for a suppressed barrel.