What is your favorite hunting knife?

I used to use Schrades exclusively and was particularly fond of the sharp finger. About 10 or 12 years ago I picked up an Anza F3 in Colorado and it has become my go to hunting knife. It is made from a file, it holds an edge very well and believe it or not its pretty tough.

I use an el-cheapo Outdoor Edge orange grip folding knife with a gut-hook(made in china). I paid 20 dollars for this knife and have used it on 4 deer thus far this year its as sharp as ever. I normally carry a green bone handle Boker but I have set it down and have had to look for it.

Meh, it may be "old school" to use bucks or something like that without replacement blades that needs sharpening. But honing a knife to extreme sharpness is relaxing for me...kind of like reloading...it's almost therapy!! Lol...

RIFLE.jpeg

This is my HELLE GT, laminated blade, made in Norway. My wife gave it to me for my birthday.
(RifLE-> 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro SCOPE->Bushnell Elite KRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 W/illuminated G3 reticle)

Esee izula II and outdoor edge razor pro are my choice for production knives.
My sons father-in-law makes fine knives. I broke down a cow elk and 2 pronghorn last year with a knife he made me and it remained sharp enough to do more.
Heat treating is the key and retail market knives lack the attention of hand made by a craftsman knives.

Thanks Len. In the "Favorite Rifle" thread I posted the same pic of "My Precious" X-Bolt.
It's accurate as in 1/2 MOA with Hornady ELD-M match ammo and 3/4 MOA with ELD-X hunting ammo BUT only for the first 3 rounds. After that the light barrel heats up and groups open to 1 1/4 MOA.
(If I can't get the job done in 3 rounds I need another sport, like horseshoes, where "close" counts.)

I have used the Gerber Vital on 3 animals. If your are doing the gutless method, I would recommend it.

I've been using a Buck 110 or Vanguard and a Havalon for the last dozen years or more.

Favorite: One I forged.

Favorite "semi-custom": Bark River Drop Point Hunter in s35vn.

Last edited:

Recent Posts