What is your average hunting shot distance?

What is your average hunting shot and personal limit?

• 0-100

Votes: 34 11.8%
  • Sub-300

Votes: 115 40.1%
  • Sub-500

Votes: 81 28.2%
  • 500 plus average

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • 0-200 limit

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 200-300 limit

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • 300-400 limit

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • 400-600 limit

Votes: 72 25.1%
  • 600-800 limit

Votes: 44 15.3%
  • 800+ limit

Votes: 29 10.1%

• Total voters
100 to 300 yds, with possible shots as far as you can imagine, but the property is not mine. I don't think my host would approve of long-distance shooting even if you and your gun is capable. I shot 2 deer on his property this season, one was 125 yds and the other was 225yds. I'll take those ranges any day if I can hunt this property in the future.

Attachments

• My Mule Deer 5.jpg
    My Mule Deer 5.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 57
  • My Whitetail2.jpg
    My Whitetail2.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 59
I'm finding Acubond bullets are no good for short range shots at all. Two years in a row I've had shot bull elk under 100 yards with my 300 and they have run away.
Accubond or Accubond LR? Two different animals. The former is one of the most consistent performers and the latter is known to come apart. I've shot a ton of animals from 20 to 700 yards with standard Accubonds from a 300WM (200gr) and they are my favorite bullet.

Not casting anything on anybody, but if the animal gets away one can't blame the bullet because you don't know what happened. I've helped recover too many animals "shot perfect" which were anything but when finally found. A whole lot of "bullet failures" end up being poor placement.

I usually hunt elk in an open area and shots are 100-500 deer usually under 100 when kicked up but there are always shots 500-700 that a trophy will be at. Whether you or the gun are capable is a different story. Shot my buck this year at 75. Must bucks at 300 if i wanted. Last year trophy buck at 700 took the wrong gun. Dial up guns i can place a confident shot out to 900. But i also reload and target partice a lot during spring and summer and shoot under 1/2in groups @ 200. All in all never taken an animal over 500. Now im more into long range id like to but u can always close the gap at that distance for the most part

When I was younger all my shots on deer were under 300. I've hunted the same area for 16 years. Now a days my shots are getting further. This is due to my interest in shooting and my and my equipments development over the years. Now a 400 yard shot is pretty close to average. Because now I hunt canyons that are typically 350-1200 yards across from the bottom being that typical 300 range to the he tops being 800 plus. Bo more shooting freehand 😂

Here in the mountains of Western NC few shots are beyond 300 yds, but in the western stares shots are often well beyond 600 yds. Overall I'd guess that the majority of my shots on deer here average between 90 & 120 yds. Of my many deer, all were one shot kills, but if I were shooting at 600 yds. or more I'm sure accuracy would be greatly lessoned. I only get 2 weeks or less to go out west each year for my "Fall Vacation"! Best wishes to all!

For varmints it's a Buzz Lightyear "to infinity and beyond" thing for me.

Big game 600 yards under ideal conditions.

I would hesitate to give a big game average, but it's short. No matter how I set up for a long range shot, the critter steps out in front of me. Multiple at less than 30 yards. One deer close enough to get splatter on my hat.
This☝️ I worked up a hammer load in a rum this year for Missouri. I set up overlooking a big grass flat with thickets around for bedding and cover. Had full intentions of testing the hammers at 300-500 yards. I was on a steep hill side next to a thicket. Wouldn't you know that the only legal buck I seen stepped out of that thicket at 8 yards. Mature 10 pt. I watched him through my scope. Passed him up while thinking I wish I was holding my bow.