Compact Suppressed Build cartridge?

In a S/A the 300SS would be a good option as well at 2750-2800 with a 215 berger in a 18" Bbl. 205gr berger EH would be a good one to if you want to go 30cal. I really like the idea of a 300SST.
Didn't they barely get the 215 to 2900 in a 28" long throated, possibly bore rider, barrel?

Didn't they barely get the 215 to 2900 in a 28" long throated, possibly bore rider, barrel?
Here is the data, with a 28".
20200821_183909.jpg

Even if you could only get 2700 it would still hammer big game out to 600 yards. The 270 or 7sst would be a good fit for your build as well.

I'm always a big 308 fan but since the donor action already has a mag bolt, I would consider a 270WSM or 300WSM and relatively fast powder to utilize the shorter barrel which would likely also need a little faster twist depending on bullet weight. I would also be thinking of muzzle blast but the suppressor will take care of most of that. Maintaining the can will be important as there will quite a bit of unburned or burning powder in the can. I'm glad to see you putting this much thought into a build for your wife, good man. Happy wife, happy life. Everyone else has contributed their thoughts well and I agree with most of it.

You realize of course, this will be a fun rifle to shoot? I would not get a barrel burner at all.

I debated all of this and decided it was not worth reinventing the wheel.

I built a fast twist .308 that can shoot heavier, high BC bullets. If I want to go long, I have better rifles for that. 308 is great in the 0-600 yard range.

I've gotten to the point where I just want something like this to work, rather than fuss with load development and everything else. I have guns that I try to get max performance from, and then I have guns that just go to work. You have to decide what you want.

If I were building again today I'd go short CF barrel, light folding chassis, TBAC Ultra 5. OR
I would buy a Sig Cross.

A suppressed lightweight 6.5 Grendel AR is even more fun though...

I did a build a couple years ago with a 5" Thunder Beast suppressor and .300 Win Mag with a 20" barrel. I'm probably about 200 FPS slow with that barrel length, but it's easy to carry in the hills. I shoot 190 gr Bergers and took 2 mulies at 520-540 yards last year and an elk at 200 yards. McMillan stock, about 7.5 lbs with the scope.

I know your goals are a bit different, but when it comes to recoil, this thing is a gentle giant. My 110 lb daughter loves to shoot it. I shoot Non-suppressed .300 magnums all the time and the difference is night & day. The suppressor moderation of recoil is nothing short of amazing. I have a 25-06 in a bull-barrel 700 and it's not fun to shoot at all in comparison. YMMV.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I do have two possible donor actions- a SA 700 mag bolt face, and a standard bolt Model 7 action, so the options are open. My problem is I like to split hairs on ballistics 😆.

As to accuracy with a suppressor- Are any more consistent than others?

I have a 18.5" 6.5 saum shooting the 129 ABLR @2820 es14 not a scorcher and could go faster i believe.. run the thunderbeast cans .. there is a reason they have the rep they do!!

I run the Ultra series thunderbeast cans exclusively and have since they came out .. I personally have the 7 and 9 30cal CB Ultra and the 338 ultra as well as the OG TBAC 30-P1 .. as far as I've seen and used they are the best money can buy!
I run the ultra 7 on my 300 rum 22" and the 9 is a touch quieter but i wanted compact so a little sound gain VS shorter carry length is fine for what i wanted it for.

I've shot with or have shot personally a lot of different cans and i can tell you they are not all created equal. There is a reason they are what they are! Its not just the name, i run the CB brake design on all of mine and have not noticed one bit of inconsistency from taking them on and off.. in fact I've switched from rifle to rifle and back during shooting sessions without change of impact

Last edited:
I've been considering a build off the Manners Compact stock and a Remington SA 700/7 I also am considering buying my first suppressor to go on it.

The rifle will be used for target practice and big game hunting out to 600yds. And as an adjustable one for my family and friends to shoot
6.5 PRC or 7 SAUM
#4 Bartlein Carbon 20" Mod BB barrel
GAP Jäger Suppressor
(total bbl length would be 24.5)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.