Enjoyable elk cartridges suppressed

xx572xx

HI

I am looking to build a a custom elk rifle and would like some input on cartridges. This will be the first custom build for me and i do not have the that much experience with different cartridges. I have a silencer co omega that i have only shot on a .223 but am hopping it makes shooting larger calibers more enjoyable.

This gun will be for hunting elk and mule deer in eastern Oregon and i would like some input on short action cartridges. I was thinking of going with a 300 wsm so that way i could go with a shorter barrel and still have knock down power, but my concern is the gun will not be that fun to shoot even with a suppressor.

I haven't had interest in getting a 308 until i started thinking about having a shorter barrel (18-22") and shooting it suppressed, but what range would the gun be capable of killing an elk at reliably 300 yards? I don't plan on taking it past 500 ever but i think i need that available.

Am i asking to much for a gun that is enjoyable to shoot that can also take elk at 500 yards? Even with a suppressor? Is there another caliber i should be considering?

Thanks

I just bought the Remington 5R mil spec in 300 win mag with a 24" threaded barrel, and was using my Specwar762 and Specwar brake combo to shoot last weekend. It was ridiculously easy on my shoulder. i was very impressed. The only problem is that it's heavy. I've shot a Tikka T3 300 Win with a Silencerco Harvester and it was also enjoyable to shoot. About the equivalent of an unbraked 30-06. I would think that a 300WSM in a 22"-24" configuration would be very pleasant to shoot with a suppressor.

Good luck

I think the 300wsm would be just fine. I shoot one with a brake on it, a Savage Bear Hunter, and when I closed the brake just to see how it was I didn't think recoil was bad at all. The distance your .308 will kill elk depends on the bullet. I shoot a 208 amax out of a 20" .308 and it has energy out to 900+ yards for a clean kill. I have killed elk with it at 300 yards no problem. Effective kills are all about a good bullet hitting in the right spot.

I have my components picket out for the most part as well as the funds set aside, the rifle should be purity light with a Manners MCS-TA Elite and a Proof Research barrel.

That's kind of what has me concerned target shooting a 30-06 really isn't that much fun especially if its a light weight rifle.

But from my understanding the suppressor changes the the way it feels but i have no experience with this. I have never shot a rifle bigger than a .223 with a suppressor. I have multiple guns but none of them are threaded because i can't stand the pressure on my ears from a break and i only got my omega a month ago. Therefor im trying to get the most input possible before i build a rifle around a cartridge in hopes i will be interested in shooting it for fun and not use it just for hunting.

thanks

I get wrapped up in having a the most capable round sometimes, when i know that's not what matters and i have dropped an elk in its tracks with a 243 yes it was 75 yards but i have yet to shoot one over 200.

I guess really the question is would it be a dumb idea to build a 308 knowing i will be hunting elk with it in eastern oregon?

Thanks

If it's going to be a lightweight, packable rifle, then yes, I'd imagine it would belt you pretty good. The break + suppressor combo helps immensely, but you'll still feel it.

The option of a .308 is a very valid one--especially if you're shooting heavier bullets in it.

have you considered one of the 6.5s (6.5creedmoor or .260rem)? Maybe even the 7-08? With either Accubond LRs, Bergers, or ELD-X projectiles those calibers you can get a little extra oomph out of them with lighter recoil. But if you're sticking with 500yds and under, maybe a .308 w/ 175-200gr ammo is your best bet.

I feel a 308 is more then adequate giving proper bullet selection given the ranges you will be hunting.

Ive always had better killing success on elk with a .308 and larger bullet diameter. not that the .284's didn't do well, it just seemed to me the .308's killed faster.

if it were me I would step up to a short barreled 300 win mag. but I may have a different tolerance to recoil then you.

good luck on your choice. cant go wrong with the ol' .308

I have considered a 6.5 and it is still an option but what would be the benefit over a 308? Where is the energy on target trade off? Ultimately i would love the smallest caliber possible but i don't want to get in trouble being under gunned and risking losing an animal.
My original debate was 6.5 or elk capable rifle and that's where i started wondering if a 308 was an except able compromise for both.

It may be unjustified on my part, but the thought of a 308 win over the 300 wsm on elk gives me the same feeling as watching the Seahawks kicker miss a field goal in OT for the win and settling for a tie. Not a loss but still not the win! At the range a couple weeks ago I watched a rather small guy shooting his 300rum with a thunder beast can, it looked very pleasant and sounded even better. It was a heavier rifle, built for lr but apples to apples, I think the same rifle platform would serve better in a 300 short mag than 308. They'll both kill, the 308 is a fantastic round, but does lose out on horsepower. Even my Lightweight un-braked 300 wsm was a pleasure to shoot. Neither will feel like your 223 but neither are a 223.

If i went with a 300wsm what is the shortest barrel i could go with and not be dirtying things up with unburnt powder. From my understanding unburnt powder is a big concern with short mags.

My current deer rifle is a .257 weatherby unbraked, im not afraid of magnums but if i can have a rifle that feels like a toy and will do what i need i don't know why i wouldn't go that rout.

If i went with a 300wsm what is the shortest barrel i could go with and not be dirtying things up with unburnt powder. From my understanding unburnt powder is a big concern with short mags.

My current deer rifle is a .257 weatherby unbraked, im not afraid of magnums but if i can have a rifle that feels like a toy and will do what i need i don't know why i wouldn't go that rout.

Browning uses a 23" barrel and Ruger used a 22" barrel on their WSMs--Savage is using a 21" barrel plus brake on their Bear Hunters.

I bet you could get away with using a 20" bbl without giving up too much.

If you wanted horsepower, but wanted to tame recoil, you could always do a 270 WSM, 7 WSM, or even the 300 RCM, which has impressive ballistics out of a 20" bbl, but you'd be at the mercy of Ruger's production for brass and/or ammo. But they've got the 178gr ELD-X load in the Precision Hunter line that might work out for you, too.

That all being said, a .308 would be a great overall rifle that would be more than capable to dispatch anything in the distances you're talking about.

My .375 Ruger is a blast to shoot even with 300gr bullets with a good suppressor and that's a whole lot more recoil force than the .300wm or .300wsm can generate so unless you are especially recoil sensitive you shouldn't have any problems at all.

The .308win will definitely do the job on an elk if you put it in the right place but it's just not a caliber I would go to for your purposes suppressed or otherwise.

Wildrose I feel the same way about a 308 and that's what has me asking the question am I just wanting more power or do I need it. Ultimately I want a gun that I will shoot year round and enjoy it. I enjoy shooting magnums but I can't realistically shoot 50 rounds in a day with out feelings the next day and I want to know if a suppressor makes that do able or do I need to step down to a 308 if I plan on shooting that much.

Wildrose I feel the same way about a 308 and that's what has me asking the question am I just wanting more power or do I need it. Ultimately I want a gun that I will shoot year round and enjoy it. I enjoy shooting magnums but I can't realistically shoot 50 rounds in a day with out feelings the next day and I want to know if a suppressor makes that do able or do I need to step down to a 308 if I plan on shooting that much.
A good suppressor really tames even the big monsters. I could not believe how much difference it made on the 375Ruger even with the 300gr bullets. It turned a really sharp, heavy recoil into a big slow push straight back and eliminated muzzle flip almost entirely.

At 300yds I was able to see my own impacts on Zebra and to follow the trace right to the triangle in the shoulder.

Now some suppressors are more effective than others so before deciding I'd suggest talking to the manufacturer and make sure yours is rated for the 300wm pushing 190's and heavier.

One thing to seriously consider is going with a 1:9 twist vs the traditional 1:10 because you may at some point decide to shoot 200gr or heavier mono's or 230gr and heavier led core bullets which will only be marginally stabilized in a 1:10 twist barrel.

The more I think about it the more sense the solid copper allow bullets are making to me so any of them I rebarrel in the future I'm going to go with the tighter twists so as to not limit myself to lighter bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.