LR build, which cartridge?

sambo3006

I've got a Stiller Predator long action magnum bolt face coming from a group buy, still trying to decide on chambering. It would get used when I go out west to hunt, usually every year. I've got sporter weight 7mm and 338 RUM's and a 30-378 Accumark. I'm leaning towards a heavier platform, either an A2 stock or a PSS like on Shawn Carlock's Canyon rifles with a varmint contour barrel and a brake. It would be a repeater with a Wyatt's mag box. Wonder what kind of velocities the 338 RUM would get out of a 28" barrel with 225 Accubonds and 300 gr SMK's? Any other suggestions on possible cartridges?

375-408 Chey Tac? I'd like one. I'd also like a 338 Norma Mag. 7RUM or similar if barrel burnout isn't a concern. I dunno :)

Since you already have a 338 rum, will that action work for a 338 LAI, or a 338 Allen express, he was also working on a new 338 above the AX BUT BELOW the AM I believe, as you are planning a little heavier.

I believe you are out of luck for a 338 LM, norma mag, or Allen mag. those bolt faces are larger than the standard Magnum.
Jerry makes a tac 338 that would work for those.

Try an edge or rum bassed cartrige, or any of the standard magnums.

you may like the 7mm STW. I don't own one anymore but I really liked mine. or if you really want a wizzz banger go with the 6.5 STW. I'm in the 6.5 craze right know and if you don't own one you should.

How about a 338 EDGE. Just about the same Ballistics as a 338LM, but with a standard Magnum Bolt face.

What about Shawn's +P version of his 338Edge? I believe he is pushing the 300's up into the 2950 range.

I'm pretty sure the new 338 raptor requires a .378weatherby boltface. I would run some numbers on the .375rum. Looks like lots of fun the proper bullet selection and good barrel life.

I'm curious about the EDGE +P but don't believe it has been officially released by Shawn. That is certainly one to consider.

You could also talk to Kirby about his Ultra Maxx. I don't remember exactly what it uses for a parent case but I'm pretty sure it's based off one of the RUM cases so you would be good to go with your mag bolt face. I believe it also spits a 300grainer out the barrel in that 2900ish range.

I'm sure Kirby would be more than glad to fill you in on exactly what his 338 Ultra Maxx is and its capabilites.

You could also talk to Kirby about his Ultra Maxx. I don't remember exactly what it uses for a parent case but I'm pretty sure it's based off one of the RUM cases so you would be good to go with your mag bolt face. I believe it also spits a 300grainer out the barrel in that 2900ish range.

I'm sure Kirby would be more than glad to fill you in on exactly what his 338 Ultra Maxx is and its capabilites.

Pretty sure the ultramaxx is an improved version of the .338/300rum,edge whatever you wanna call it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.